Coin Thickness

lindsychris

We're in the process of making our first personal coin. It will be 1 5/8 inches, but we're not decided on the thickness. Our price quote now is for 3.0 mm, but is 3.5 preferred?

(I apologize if this has been discussed, I tried searching, but every coin thread that mentioned the thickness of a coin came up!)

EDIT: It will be a 2D coin.

Edited by lindsychris

The thickness of the coin really depends on what you are going to have on it. If you want 3D use a thicker coin if only 2D then a thinner coin will suffice. Some people like to make them thicker "because heavier coins feel nicer". Its all based on preference but if you are doing 3D get a thicker one.

That IMO entirely depends on the design. I prefer hard enamel, but thats just me.

By the way - to clarify for anyone whos reading this - when it says "~J" its the hubby posting, when its unsigned, its me (Paula)!

:(

I'm prefering the hard enamel, and I think Chris is prefering the soft.

And, to clarify for anyone reading this, we have no system for distinguishing which one of us is posting!

That IMO entirely depends on the design. I prefer hard enamel, but thats just me.

By the way - to clarify for anyone whos reading this - when it says "~J" its the hubby posting, when its unsigned, its me (Paula)!

And, to clarify for anyone reading this, we have no system for distinguishing which one of us is posting!

Personally, I prefer synthetic hard enamel. I think it just looks better to have the coloring even with the rest of the coin, and not have dips

Thanks, we appreciate everyone's helpfulness.

Now--do we want to have the soft vs. hard enamel discussion????????

We think it all depends on the art. Soft enamel can bring out a certain type of design and imitation hard enamel can bring out a different style of deisgn.

Imagine the recent Dorkfish fishtank in soft enamel... yuck! I hope Karma is ok with that example :( , but when we minted it there was really no discussion required as Jamie's art cried out for imitation hard enamel. Ask your designer what they suggest, or if it's your design ask the coin production company what would suit the art best. If they refer the question back to you well.... :P

In our experience epoxy is only really 'necessary' to protect glitter paint. For a few reasons, one of them being to determine the strength of the coins, we took a sledge hammer on concrete to some of Danoshimano's sample coins :( (with his permission of course) and it was very difficult to even make a little chip or dint in the paint (but our 12 y.o. son had fun trying!). It took a lot of work to bang them up. A lot of people like to feel the art on their coins and there are others who like the dome.

I agree with pretty much everyone else. I like both the soft and hard enamel, it really just depends on the design.

We DO however have a method for distinguishing between which one of us is posting. It goes something like this:

"Edited because SOMEONE didn't sign out of their account!"

;) Glad to see other couples / team members sharing a GC account. My hubby and I do the same thing. He's not much of a coin collector so most of the posts here are mine. Sometimes I put (Mrs.) after our gc name but that just make some think that our last name is Anthus (which it is not). :rolleyes:

I think there was a thread a few weeks ago about soft vs hard enamel. Crake provided some good reasons why to use one over the other.

....Anthus (Mrs)

;) Glad to see other couples / team members sharing a GC account. My hubby and I do the same thing. He's not much of a coin collector so most of the posts here are mine. Sometimes I put (Mrs.) after our gc name but that just make some think that our last name is Anthus (which it is not). :rolleyes:

I think there was a thread a few weeks ago about soft vs hard enamel. Crake provided some good reasons why to use one over the other.

....Anthus (Mrs)

AHA! That's the thread I was looking for! Thanks MRS. Anthus Team Member! :( I knew I had read a thread, but without knowing who had posted to it, I couldn't find it.

Here it is: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=154650&hl=

the coin will be trackable on gc.com, but we haven't worked out the details as far as numbers/finishes for trade, sale, dropping in caches, etc. Hopefully we'll get the details worked out in the next couple weeks and have more info available, as well as a peek at the design once it's finalized :rolleyes: