Panting Ammo Boxes

"Panting ammo cans" - funny visual! :P

BOT - the colour depends on the environment you're hiding the can in. Here in north Texas I find that black works best. Be sure to wipe the inside of the can out as it might have some nasty chemicals in it, and lightly sand the exterior to help with paint adhesion. A few light coats of paint are better than one thick coat.

"Panting ammo cans" - funny visual! :P

BOT - the colour depends on the environment you're hiding the can in. Here in north Texas I find that black works best. Be sure to wipe the inside of the can out as it might have some nasty chemicals in it, and lightly sand the exterior to help with paint adhesion. A few light coats of paint are better than one thick coat.

Agreed.

Edited by X-isle

Green, black and brown work well in many environments. Just make sure they are flat colors. I use primer because it's flat.

Sometimes I use a leaf as a template and sometimes I just free hand it with a squirt here and there of each color. Both are effective.

In this photo the one in the front was made using an oak leaf and one in the back was freehanded.

edf83031-10c3-4391-a24b-3d5a3883dbc0.jpg

Not sure what you are talking about. I haver never encountered, nor have I ever heard of, a panting ammo can, and to my best knowledge, ammo cans are NOT alive and do NOT engage in respiration and thus an ammo can would not be expected to breathe, much less to pant. You may be asking your question about such matters on the wrong forum. I suggest that you explore forums in the fringe sciences devoted to topics related to signs of life in inamimate ojbects. However, I would like to warn you, since you seem to also mention spray paint in your first post, that ANY living being that respires, whether it be a plant, human, horse, dog or cat, will likely NOT appreciate having spray paint sprayed into their respiratory apparatus while they are panting -- this would not be a desirable thing at all; it could even be fatal, for them, that is. You may wish to re-think your game plan and come up with a saner hobby.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Here is my favorite painted ammo can. I had to archive this large ammo can cache in a cemetary, titled "Old George". They cut down all the brush that was around it. It originally looked like a 'forgotten' tombstone off in the bushes next to the cemetary, near other old, neglected stones. I didn't want to leave it in the open in usable cemetary space. The workmen evidently thought it was real, because they cleared all around it and left it be...Here is my final log with several pics of the container...I'll put one here:

bae1bc38-6648-4319-99f3-232ded7c34d7.jpg

The whole thing is spray paint. I first painted the entire ammo can with faux stone paint, available at your local home store. It is "textured" paint. I then printed out the letters and geocaching symbol on the computer, laid them on a thick paper file folder, and cut out the letters with a razorblade knife to make a stencil. The "depth" you see in the lettering come from doing the letters once in a grey spraypaint, shifting the stencil slightly up and to the right, and then repainting the letters with black. This left a little grey showing around the edges, so it looks 3D. Make sure you spray from a distance so the letters are light and a little fuzzy and the paint does not run. I then "antiqued" the whole thing with a light spray of grey, black, and brown paints, making sure it looked weathered, dirty, and distressed.

I'm going to be painting an ammo can soon so this thread caught my eye but "Old George"?!!! That can is SOOOO AWESOME!!! I can definitely see why the cemetery cleaners left it alone! :huh:

Thanks, GeoBain, for the article link, too! I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with this can and hiding it. My goal is to paint and hide this in such a manner that the local geocacher buddies start refering to me in rude terms! :huh: This thread has really kickstarted my imagination for camoflaging!

A well panted ammo box:

pantedammocannt5.jpg

:)

Yes, I have way too much time on my hands.

No, my ammo cans are not painted with nearly the artristry I've seen in this thread. Sometimes I've taken the paint along with me and applied the final coats at the cache site, then sprinkled some local dirt over it while it was still wet...