76CSX & 60CSX?

I currently have a Legend, but I keep losing the signal in heavy tree cover. Winter in the woods is great, but Fall and Spring scouting are a problem. From what I've been reading, the 76csx and 60csx seem to have solved this problem. I already have the Mapsource Topo software for the Legend and was wondering if this is compatable with the 76csx and 60csx? Does anyone know if the display is larger on these than the one on the Legend?

Thanks,

Tom

I currently have a Legend, but I keep losing the signal in heavy tree cover. Winter in the woods is great, but Fall and Spring scouting are a problem. From what I've been reading, the 76csx and 60csx seem to have solved this problem. I already have the Mapsource Topo software for the Legend and was wondering if this is compatable with the 76csx and 60csx? Does anyone know if the display is larger on these than the one on the Legend?

Thanks,

Tom

As for the reception you will not loose signal in heavy tree cover. I use my 60cx here in pa for hunting and have yet to loose reception in the woods. As for the TOPO it will work with both units. As for the display I am not sure.

I have both. The screen isn't larger. The antenna locks in better on the new 60CSX.

My 60 actually works at the computer desk inside my house sometimes.

The real advantage is the turn by turn instructions, so you need to buy the maps also.

The old Legend actually finds caches better....sshhhh... don't tell Garmin. :anibad:

I also have a Magellan color sportrac in the closet. I leave it there.

the display is indeed larger on the 76 and 60 than on the legend.

legend: Display: 1.3¨W x 1.7¨H, 256-colour, high resolution, transflective TFT (176 x 220 pixels)

60csx: Display: 1.5” W x 2.2” H, 2.6”-diagonal, 256-colour, transflective TFT (160 x 240 pixels)

The OP said he had a Legend, not Legend C or Legend Cx.

Display: 2.1"H x 1.1"W (5.4 x 2.7 cm) high-contrast LCD with bright backlighting

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I'm leaning towards the 76cxs. I've been hearing good things about the Lowrance units, but there doesn't seem to be very many users here. The screen seems to be the largest, but I still needing the best reseption because of tree cover. Plus I already have the Mapsource software, plus the mounting base is already on my dash. :anibad: I'm assuming that the 12v adapter is not included. Any suggestions for where to purchase one at the best price?

Edited by TomC1426

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I'm leaning towards the 76cxs. I've been hearing good things about the Lowrance units, but there doesn't seem to be very many users here. The screen seems to be the largest, but I still needing the best reseption because of tree cover. Plus I already have the Mapsource software, plus the mounting base is already on my dash. :anibad: I'm assuming that the 12v adapter is not included. Any suggestions for where to purchase one at the best price?

I use their cables. There are other sources, but these are good quality and less costly than Garmin.

From what I recall when I was researching the same choices, basically the two are almost the same unit with a different skin. The 76 floats and the 60 doesn't (but it is waterproof, trust me). The deciding factor for me was the way both of the units felt in my hand. The 76 felt a bit big and bulky, while the 60 was a little smaller and had a more solid feel to it. I would recommend that you go down to your nearest sporting goods store and check them out, then find the best deal that you can for it. Don't forget that local retailers will sometimes match deals that you find online.... Good Luck!

Edited by team5150

Ok let me throw another wrinkle in the mix. After doing more research, the Lowrance H2O C and the Expedition C seem to be comparable with the Garmin 76. Now the question, as anyone been able to compare the Lowrance to the Garmins? There doesn't seem to be alot of Lowrance users on this Forum, but what is here seems to be very loyal.

No one local carries these, and I'm planning on going out of town to check, and was wanting as much info as possible before I go.

Thanks again

Tom

The Lowrance H2Oc has some nice features. Dual processor. Lots of internal memory plus microSD memory. Where the H2Oc beats everyone else, hands down, is the display: 320x240 QVGA. Nobody else has that in a handheld gps unit.

However, nobody, including Lowrance themselves, has any comment about what they use for a receiver chipset. So far the two best chipsets are the SirfIII (Garmin 60C(S)x and 76C(S)x) and the STMicroelectronics (Delorme PN-20).

For my 60Cx the SirfIII chipset is night-and-day better than others. I can get good locks under dense tree cover. Since most land west of the Cascades is under dense tree cover, this is important. People are saying that the PN-20 is as good as the SirfIII. Hope so.

If the H2Oc has as good a receiver as SirfIII or STMicroelectronics, I will be tempted to buy one.

Now, however, how about the topo maps? PN-20 has the best topo maps, according to everybody. Garmins' are OK, but not very detailed. I can't speak for Magellan. How are the topo maps for Lowrance?