HELP!

Crazy4bunnies88

Hi Pease help,

Recently on a family vacation we met a very nice family who was Geocaching. We would like to try it but we don't know what type of GPS to purchase or where to purchase it. I need one that is fairly inexpensive (if possible) and easy to use. I don't know what kind to purchase or where ot go. I would like to buy one locally so that if I have problems I can get instore help. We have all the major stores as well as several sporting good stores. Please help us.

Thank you

I've only used Garmin products. Someone else can chime in with advice on other brands.

I started with a Garmin eTrex Legend. They are easy to use, fairly inexpensive, and very durable. They come with a cable to connect to the computer (later you will appreciate that!) and the software to do basic things. They hold 1000 waypoints and use AA batteries.

I've seen them for around $100 lately online. You may have to pay a bit more in a local store, but most hunting/fishing stores and probably all major electronics stores will carry them.

The trusty plain and simple b&w yellow garmin eTrex is usually less than $100 at local stores and many thousands of caches have been found by thousands of cachers with them.

If you want good expandibility and future growth plus a solid unit with good Geocaching features you just can't go wrong with the Garmin Venture Cx - color screen, autorouting, geocaching mode, standard USB cable connection (no cable with it) and very rugged - online for about $180 if you look around a bit.

The trusty plain and simple b&w yellow garmin eTrex is usually less than $100 at local stores and many thousands of caches have been found by thousands of cachers with them.

If you want good expandibility and future growth plus a solid unit with good Geocaching features you just can't go wrong with the Garmin Venture Cx - color screen, autorouting, geocaching mode, standard USB cable connection (no cable with it) and very rugged - online for about $180 if you look around a bit.

I echo this advice. Basic eTrex if you want an inexpensive unit that will do the job. Venture CX if you want a cost effective unit that you can grow into.

I'll also add the Garmin Map 60CSX and Map 76CSX if you don't mind spending a little more money for the best.

I have been using a Garmin etrex Legend for about a year now. I think that it is a great unit for the price. Power users turn there noses up -- mediocre reception, odd controls, small memory, spartan mapping -- but you know what? Barring really heavy tree cover, this unit almost always gets me pointed in the right direction. After over 700 finds I really am not looking to replace it yet. The basic yellow etrex should be fine, but I find that the map on the Legend is useful. Just a thought -- if you have a gps capable cell phone, or a PDA that can take a gps antenna, these might be good alternatives. Haven't used Magellan products, but I can only assume that they have comparable products -- you may find that they suit you better. Don't forget, no matter how much money you spend on the unit, even the best will only get you to within ten or twenty feet of the cache (assuming the coordinates are accurate!). The rest is about using all of your senses and your creativity to make the find. Good luck!

Magellan 210 Outdoor bundle. It comes with the maps, which can cause what the bundle costs all by themselves. You can download Groundspeak queries. Geocaching points are separate files from the poi files. Geocaching files contain pertinent information about the caches. The thing is basically made for geocaching. Oh, and it comes with a case if you get the bundle. Have gotten very good accuracy, spectacular for the size and cost of the unit. My two cents.

I have a Magellan eXplorist 500 with a chargable L-ion battery. Beats buying batteries all the time. It also has a SD card slot for extra storage. It has a 16 bit color screen and easy to use. A USB cable to connect to the computer for transfering files and maps. This runs around $200. Depending on how much you want to spend. I spent a little more but got color and SD slot. I love this unit alot.

I got my first GPS a few months ago. I bought the Garmin eTrex Legend Cx. I am now thinking about upgrading to a Garmin Rino would have to buy two tho. Makes it nice so if my wife goes and decides it to far up hill or she gets tired and wants to take a break. Then I can keep going and if I am within two miles she can find me. Very nice but alot of money. Just food for thought for in the future if you keep geocaching with other people.

Also you can check out Garmin's Website. This site will let you know what is new, discontinued, and just click on a unit and see the handheld comes with and so on. You may want to get a unit that has a PC interface cable or you will have to enter everything by hand or buy the cable. eTrex Venture comes with the PC interface cable and is the cheapest one to buy around $150. Other than the eTrex (yellow or camo) around $100 but doesn't come with the PC interface cable. You can buy a PC interface cable for the eTrex (yellow or camo) for an extra $50. But if you buy the eTrex Venture you get a GPS with interface cable for the same price as the eTrex (yellow or camo) + buying a interface cable. And with the Venture you get more on your GPS. So I think eTrex Venture would be the best for your money. Also you can find some stores that sell the eTrex Venture package deal. Where you get your GPS with a mapping program for around $300 If you want a mapping program. Or if you want to just buy the GPS now and later buy the mapping program it will be about the same price.

I am just saying Garmin because everyone I know with a GPS has a Garmin. You can check out all the other GPS site and compair what they have to offer from one another. I hope this helps you out some. If you would like to ask me anything for help with anything else on Geocaching I will try to help you. Just like others have helped me. Just email me through GC.

Edited by GeoSmurfz

GARMIN Armed myself.

I have 2 RINO's.

I am with SAR and the OEM.

The position reporting and radio are well worth it.

I have a 110 and a 120 and really would like to have the 530 I think it is with 12 mile radio.

I started with the first Magellan there ever was for civilians in 1995 and still have it and the Magellan Trailblazer and a Yellow E-trex for backup.

changed 540 to 530

Edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1

I chose a Garmin based on feedback from the Forums last August (Garmin Legend Cx). The two factors driving my decision were color screen (better for 50 year-old eyes!!) and expandability of microSD card slot t hold maps in the unit. I bought the GPS and a used Palm PDA (for paperless Geocaching), paid for a Premium Membership on Geocaching, bought GSAK and Cachemate. Those little extras (under $125) allowed me to have easier access to more information to make my early caching attempts much more enjoyable.

Later I saved to buy a larger capacity micro SD chip (1 gig) and the Garmin DVD maps and a really good flashlight! Enjoy!!

Take care,

Outspoken1

I have a Magellan eXplorist 100, which is the cheapest of that series.

There's no serial/USB port, no stored maps, no rechargeable batteries...

What it does have is a waterproof body.

(Which is handy, considering that I also do a bit of cayaking, and aren't always the most stable if I get caught in waves... )

What I'm trying to say is that there's no easy answer to 'what's the best GPS(for me)' type questions.

You need to carefully analyze your requirements, then compare available models to find the one most suited to your needs.

I have a Magellan eXplorist 500 with a chargable L-ion battery. Beats buying batteries all the time.

Until you're in the middle of the woods without a power source nearby and your unit goes dead. A unit without replaceable AAs would be a non starter in my book. If buying batteries are an issue, then its easy enough to get rechargable AAs and you an always keep a few extra in your bag for emergencies, or borrow two from your flashlight or digital camera.

Can you plug the Venture or the Legend into your cigarette lighter in the car?

Yes, with the optional accessory. It does not however charge the battery, it only powers the unit.

BTW, don't confuse the Legend and Venture with the Legend CX and Venture CX. They are very different animals. The Legend and Venture are older units that don't offer many of the advanced features of the CX models.