How do I change this setting on a Garmin 60csx?

Odd. If the symbol is a closed treasure chest, and you have the unit set to "Off Road" (or "Prompted" and you choose "Off Road"), the unit should go to the compass screen. Do you have the compass turned on and calibrated in both units?

I have it set to "Prompted", and I have the electronic compass turned off on both units. I recently started using custom icons, but I use them on both units, and that doesn't have an effect on my problem. I just tried changing a symbol to a closed treasure chest, and it still goes to the map page.

Thanks to the other poster for the suggestion about adding the pointer field to the map page, but that's not going to work out for me.

This isn't a huge deal, but I'd sure like to have it go to the compass page if that's possible.

Found/Note/Stop do appear on the navigation screen when I go to it.

Then it is probably NOT set up as a geocache. Go to the Geocache setup screen and check that the same icon is shown there as the ones you are using. You can choose any icon to represent a geocache.

With my 60CSx, where I use the standard "closed chest" and "open chest" icons for geocaches, if I choose a geocache from the list, select "Go To" and then choose "Off Road," it takes me to the map screen. To get to the Navigation screen with the arrow and the "Found," "Note," and "Stop" buttons, I have to hit the "Page" button once. This is the way it's behaved since the day I bought it last April.

There have been previous discussions where users wanted to change it so the Navigation screen comes up instead of the map screen when you hit "Go To" for a geocache, but I don't think anyone has figured out a way to make that happen.

Whoa, that's interesting... I just tried (for the first time) setting the Guidance Method to "Off Road" rather than prompted. As Red90 pointed out, now when I choose "Go To," the unit takes me directly to the Navigation screen instead of the Map screen.

Unfortunately, for me that's not really an option, since I also use the unit to give me turn-by-turn directions (that require me to use the "Follow Road" setting) to get me in the general vicinity of the cache. Once the car is parked I recalculate to "off Road."

--Larry

Edited to add the results of setting the Guidance Method to "Off Road" rather than "Prompted."

Edited by larryc43230

It is set up as a geocache. It looks like there's simply a difference between the 60cs and 60csx. The 60cs goes to the compass page no matter what you have "Guidance Method" set to. The 60csx goes to the compass page ONLY if "Guidance Method" is set to "Off Road". I wish Garmin would add an option so we could change that.

Then why when I select "off road" on my 60cx do I get the map screen? And yes, the geocache page is set up correctly. Is there i difference between the 60cx and the 60csx? I would really like to know if that could be changed.

I wrote Garmin support on this problem and here is the answer I got back.

After some research with the two units we found no setting that would

customize the unit to display a certain screen after choosing a routing

preference. It is probably a unit software default setting in the 60cs.

Hitting the page button on the 60Csx will get you to the desired screen.

You can set an order for the screens under the Page Sequence setting in

the setup menu. I apologize for not having a customization for you.

OK, I've done some screens.

1) The Geocache setup icon must be the same as the waypoint icon.

geocachesetup.jpg

2) Find a "Geocache"

findscreen.jpg

3) Choose "Goto". Note that you must be setup to rouute "off road", not "prompted" or "follow roads".

navscreen.jpg

Your gps screens are really nice looking and easy to read! Someday I hope to get one. Ray