Virginia Geocaching License Plates

barkfeather

In 2002 there was some talk about getting a Specialty license plate made for VA geocachers. The movement fizzled out. It's 2007 and there are now many more geocachers in the state (including me.) I have obtained the forms for the application and gotten Groundspeak's tentative approval. Their final approval is going to be based on design. The design would be the four color geocaching logo with "www.geocaching.com" on the bottom center of the plate. Getting a new plate made requires 350 pre-paid ($10) applications. If you are from VA, interested, and willing to commit $10, please let me know by emailing me at vaplates@hughes.net. This email account will be active only for a few months. VA Cachers, spread the word.

Thanks.

I have worked with the Boy Scouts for the past three years to try and get special plates for that organization so one thing I know you have to do before you gather your 350 applications is get a state legislator to sponsor the plate and its logo design. Do we have that already? The General Assembly is currently in session now so if we don't, we need to get someone to submit our plan before they wrap up this year's work.

Also, you'll need an account to deposit the money into and someone to manage that account.

The DMV authorization process for new plates starts around July 1st and once that authorization is made, an organization has 30 days to turn in the 350 pre-paid applications. So if we start today, have a little over five months to get applications in.

Seems like it should be easy enough but there's over 25,000 Scouting families in Virginia and we're now on attempt #4 to get the 350 applications.

Down in the CVGA we had a license plate discussion abotu a year ago and there was only lukewarm support for it but maybe times have changed. We'll throw a poll up on our site and let you know what the response is.

Good luck and keep us updated on progress!

- Steve (the 'ste' in stepol)

Their final approval is going to be based on design. The design would be the four color geocaching logo with "www.geocaching.com" on the bottom center of the plate.

Sorry ... two more things:

1) When we brought this up in our group last year someone mentioned that MeBuff8Fan (from the NoVaGO Group) did the ParrotHead plates for Virginia and would be a wealth of info on how to do the plates.

2) Cachers in the group wanted the plate to have a logo that depicted geocaching in general as opposed to representing a person or group overseeing or profiting from geocaching (i.e. Groundspeak). The most popular one was created by Leatherman, often called the "GX", which is a simple design that can be written in the field and is easily recognized.

You can see the graphic at http://www.bytethebullet.com/geologo/

Cachers in the group wanted the plate to have a logo that depicted geocaching in general as opposed to representing a person or group overseeing or profiting from geocaching (i.e. Groundspeak). The most popular one was created by Leatherman, often called the "GX", which is a simple design that can be written in the field and is easily recognized.

You can see the graphic at http://www.bytethebullet.com/geologo/

I second this suggestion! Though I'd go with the one with the pretty colors behind it: http://img.webring.com/r/g/geocaching/logo

I've promised my $10 (I'm flyingduckmonster at gmail) and posted to the geocaching group on LiveJournal. I saw this on NoVAGO's forums, too. Are there any other thoughts on how we can advertise this better, to get enough people?

Hey count me in! Sounds cool to me, just keep me informed about when and where to send my info. B)

I vote for the standard, four color Groundspeak logo if they don't mind. The GX by Leatherman is cool too, but my opinion is it may be confused with some sort of religious symbol.

Up here in Northern Virginia we have a HUGE problem with people breaking into cars for GPS units. (Storing a GPSr in the car is a whole different issue.) The problem I see is some very clever criminals figuring out that there MAY be a GPSr in the cars with geocaching plates - whether there is one or not they will "look".