Etiquite for cleaning out the junk

undertree

I was just wondering about etiquite for cleaning out junky caches. I have happened on to some many number of caches that were filled with junk (broken toys, pull tabs, balloons, packages of food that have been wet, ect...).

When I see a cache like this I have the urge to TNLN although I normally leave something even if I don't take anything, but sometimes the cache is FULL of trash and not much room for anything else. I hate to remove something that someone might want but I am not real sure what the procedures are. I generally have quite a few things to trade but generally not enough to restock a cache. I am trying to teach my kids to leave things better than you found them and I generally have ziplocks, pencils, sharpeners, and log books to fix caches. I hope this generates some responses to this problem and I am sure that most of you happen across this quite often.

I know that not everyone who caches has lots of money but I know for a fact that it really doesn't take much to leave usefull or interesting items.

Thanks

I definitly remove items that I feel do not belong in a cache .... based on our guidelines. I remove broken and trashy items. Koikeeper and I do constant maintenance on our caches trying to keep them clean. I would have no problem with someone removing junk from our caches! We routinely re-stock our swag.

If a cache is packed ..... I often remove the major offending item and re-place it in another deserving cache.

Thank you for doing the same!

ImpalaBob :huh:

I have restocked someone else cache before. I have also taken out trash out of cache and then notified the owner just to let them know. I go around and check my caches just to see if they are alright and then replace swag if needed and clean it out. I think that is very nice of you taking out the junk and replaceing it with nice swag.

I was just wondering about etiquite for cleaning out junky caches. I have happened on to some many number of caches that were filled with junk (broken toys, pull tabs, balloons, packages of food that have been wet, ect...).

If there is food (wet or not <_< ) in the cache, please remove it and throw it away! You don't even need to trade anything for it. Food could attract animals that could destroy the cache.

The cache owner will be glad that you removed something that could endanger the cache. If someone writes in their log that they have left a food item in one of my cache, I go and remove it quickly.

I will remove items in violation of the guidelines such as beer, cigarettes, knives, etc. Otherwise, if it's just trash I usually lust log TNLNSL.

Don't forget to take the empty beer can out too. :rolleyes: (Joke! As a trail maintainer, it seems that most of the job is removing beer cans!) Hmm... I've never seen beer, cigarettes or knives in a cache...

Yes, I will remove wet, soggy, and rusty items from caches.

:( I hate getting to caches that have "junk" in them. I have seen everything from used band-aids to rocks. Ticket stubs are a usual especially near movie theatres. I like it when people take them out, but we should really start telling newbies not to put those things in even if they REALLY want something from the cache (ie: money, carabiners, pinks to corvettes)