Is there a way to change my user name?

1dixonmi

I'm still real new at GeoCaching, started a few weeks ago with the GPS that I got for Christmas. Christmas day I registered on geocaching.com and didn't give much thought about my username, I just chose my ID I use at work.

Now I'm loving it, but want to have some cool name like NinjaGeoHomer or GoeDragonSlayerBreath or something cool. Is there anyway I can change my name?

Thanks

From the FAQ in the getting started forum.

How can I change my user name?

You can't.

You used to be able to, but this announcement explained that you can't anymore due to software issues. If you WANT to change your name early on in the game, you can open a new account, relog everything and delete the old logs, and transfer ownership of caches using the adoption page. If you need to transfer your premium membership, send an e-mail to contact@geocaching.com. But according to that announcement, name changes will no longer be able to be done. So - choose wisely.

No, you would need to start over with a new account name. Do it now, while converting over is easy -- you only have 35 finds to re-log. For more details, see this post in the FAQ thread that's pinned at the top of the "Getting Started" forum.

When you set up your account, there was a message warning you to choose carefully since it couldn't be changed. I am wondering if that needs to be in red flashing scrolling text!

Good luck with picking the cool name and switching over.

EDIT: Dang, too slow.

Edited by Keystone

WOW, I beat both STARBRAND and the KEYSTONE the great?!

I'm going to mark this on my calendar!

I must be getting good at this two finger typing.

Naw, it's just faster to quote than type.

Edit to say, So much for two finger typing, got an extra the in there.

Edited by gof1

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of.

Next - any good ideas for a cool name?

I want to make some signiture items that have something to do with my name, any advice?

Something meaningful to you and that your family won't mind. I wouldn't really recommend suggestions from strangers... you never know what you might get :huh:

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of.

Next - any good ideas for a cool name?

I want to make some signiture(sic) items that have something to do with my name, any advice?

My main criteria would be:

1) Make it personal:

• Do you have an alternate ego in some fictional character?
  • Are you as rabid about some other hobby/sport as you are geocaching?
  • What "defines you"?

2) S/B easy to type because you'll type it 10,000 times a year minimum. (conservative estimate! LOL)

3) Have FUN!

Once you've decided, please post here and tell us what you chose! :drama:

Happy Trails,

make it SHORT. I started out as be-a-jayhawk because most of the Jayhawk handles were taken already, and I hate numbers. You want to be able to write/type it quickly when signing logs etc.

Although bad-a** mother 4000 has a nice ring to it. :D