Is colour worth it?

LFITQ

Hi there, a complete noob to this stuff, but the wife and I are wanting to get in on the fun!

I've been doing a lot of reading of the boards and other sites, and I think I'm getting kinda stuck in the "Paralysis by analysis" syndrome.

I'm looking at picking up a Magellan eXplorist 400 for $199.99 (CDN) simply because I don't want to spend too much, but do like the expandability features of the M 400. I am thinking that this might be a good introductory model for us to get our feet wet and perhaps in a few years upgrade from there.

However, I see I can also pick up the Magellan eXplorist 500LE for $249.99. The only differences I can see is that 500LE is colour and doesn't come with a Li-ion battery, which from what I've read on here is a plus or a minus depending on who you talk to.

I think the comparable Garmin products (Legend Cx and Vista Cx) are a little more than I am wanting to spend at this time (Legend = $279 Vista = $319).

Ideally I would like a GPs unit that takes SD (not micro SD) and uses AA batteries as these are what my digital camera takes so I have LOTS of extras. Unfortunately I don't seem to see any out there, yet.

So is the extra $50 worth moving up to the 500LE from the 400? Comments and suggestions would be a GREAT help!

Thnx in advance!

I think the comparable Garmin products (Legend Cx and Vista Cx) are a little more than I am wanting to spend at this time (Legend = $279 Vista = $319).
Is not the Venture Cx available in Canada? The Venture Cx is identical to the Legend, but w/o USB cable, no microSD, no Mapsource CD and it has a yellow vs a gray case. In the US it's ~$40 less than the Legend. I paid $190 for mine. I added a 1GB microSD for $19.

From what I've read, the color screen is MUCH easier to read than the 4-level B&W screen.

HTH

Hermit

I'm not familiar with the Magellan units you mentioned, but I just transitioned from a Garmin Legend (black and white display) to a Garmin Venture CX (color display). The color display is significantly easier to read, and I would never go back to a b&w display.

Just last week I noticed in the sales adds in our local paper that the Venture Cx was on sale for $209. This was with an office supple store, I just don't remember which one. It caught my attention because I thought that was a good price. So it appears, that the sale prices are coming down quit a bit if you search around.

I've been doing a lot of reading of the boards and other sites, and I think I'm getting kinda stuck in the "Paralysis by analysis" syndrome.
Sure know what you mean here, I spent 2-weeks in paralysis, finally decided for a $200 decision it wasn't worth anymore of my time.

Ideally I would like a GPs unit that takes SD (not micro SD) and uses AA batteries as these are what my digital camera takes so I have LOTS of extras. Unfortunately I don't seem to see any out there, yet.
Since all microSD's come with an SD adapter, they're functionally SD cards and will work in card readers and cameras. Besides the price penalty at 1GB and below is so modest. For me AA's were MUCH more important than SD vs microSD so I went Garmin. `Tis an Imperfect World!!!

Hermit

I'm not familiar with the Magellan units you mentioned, but I just transitioned from a Garmin Legend (black and white display) to a Garmin Venture CX (color display). The color display is significantly easier to read, and I would never go back to a b&w display.

Oh sure ... add another one to the mix that I hadn't seen before ... :blink: Time to do some more analysis as that one seems to fit into what I was looking at as well... Will the paralysis never end? :)

I have been using handheld devices since the days when color was not available--Kyocera 6135, etc. When color became available, I was astounded at how much easier I could read the displays!

With GPS units and cell phones, I will accept nothing less than a color display. I believe most people's vision is such that "color is clearer".

Now, a dog or cat, with no color "cones" in the eye, might differ with me. But I want to utilize all the cones I have, so I get the maximum in visual information.

-Paul-

I've got the explorist 600, and I love the color display. I find it much nicer than the display on the 400. If the price difference isn't too great, I'd go for the color.

However, the 600 also has the rechargable battery, which I appreciate. It's gone a full day of caching (with backlight turned down a bit) without a recharge. Some prefer the AAA's, but I'm happy. Having to choose between color and the battery would be tough.

As an Explorist 400 owner I say buy the 500 .... for the color and able to use AA's Also I have had problems with mine that I couldn't upgrade the firmware. but color would be such a better way to go... the amber screen is ok but like the cell phone there is no substutute for color... and as far as the batts.. if you want to recharge get good rechargables.. but when your out hiking or somewhere you cant recharge AA's are the way to go.. I had to buy an extra battery and charge it ahead of time if I know I'm hiking for days.

I WILL buy a color screen next ... maybe the 600

I like the explorist series alot

Jim

I purchased a Venture CX at Amazon.com a couple of days ago for $187.14 with free shipping...
How long did it take Amazon to ship yours from the time you checked out? I tried last week and it sat for 2-days after checkout. I then canceled the order, and Buy.com shipped in 12-hours.

Hermit

I've purchased 3 gps's from amazon now, and all have arrived within 4 business days...no problems at all.

I purchased a Venture CX at Amazon.com a couple of days ago for $187.14 with free shipping...
How long did it take Amazon to ship yours from the time you checked out? I tried last week and it sat for 2-days after checkout. I then canceled the order, and Buy.com shipped in 12-hours.

Hermit

I've purchased 3 gps's from amazon now, and all have arrived within 4 business days...no problems at all.

And customs did what to the price from Amazon? How about shipping into Canada? I usually find those two alone skyrocket the prices above even the highest online retailer for most things. For instance I tried to order a $5 stuffed toy from Disneystore.com and they wanted to add $40 shipping to get it to my daughter. I ordered a mini football helmet from a store in Pittsburgh and customs added $75 to the price (which was originally $25US). Since then I have stopped ordering from the states.

And customs did what to the price from Amazon? How about shipping into Canada? I usually find those two alone skyrocket the prices above even the highest online retailer for most things. For instance I tried to order a $5 stuffed toy from Disneystore.com and they wanted to add $40 shipping to get it to my daughter. I ordered a mini football helmet from a store in Pittsburgh and customs added $75 to the price (which was originally $25US). Since then I have stopped ordering from the states.
And I thought we had all the ungrateful people, Guess Not!!! :D

Paralysis is OVER!!

Just want to thank everyone for their input on this.

Decided to go with MtnHermit's suggestion and bought the Venture Cx. The unit is supposed to arrive tomorrow. $229 CDN. Should have it just long enough to get confused and then take it to the BC Geocaching Association "meet n greet" on Feb 4 to learn how to properly use it ...

Once again, thnx to everyone for their input, it was really appreciated.

So is the extra $50 worth moving up to the 500LE from the 400? Comments and suggestions would be a GREAT help!

I have the 210 and love it. I bought the 210 for the main reason it used AA batteries and came with Topo maps. Got it for $160

New from eBay.

Now. If I could rewind I would go for the 500LE. It gives the color, SD slot, and ability to use AA or rechargeable batteries. You

just don't get Topo unless you spend some extra $$$. Go Geocaching I've used DirectRoute the most. Now saying that understand that you'll spend time with this new hobby of Geocaching and if you can afford good stuff then go for it. If you want something in the eXplorist line look at the 500LE. If you want to stay real cheap do not go below the 210 model. USB cable for the 210 is a must