Cheaters out there! What should be done?

stryder!

:anicute: What can be done if anything with these cheaters?

Well, we can draw and quarter them, keelhaul them, put them on the rack, put them in an iron maiden, boil them in oil (EV Olive, please).

Or, shake our heads at their apparent lack of ethics, remember that this is, after all, a game, and move on, cuz when it's all said and done, it's not going to affect anyone.

... There's no challenge in finding my own cache.

That's not necessarily true. I hid a cache in the winter once and came back in the summer to find it and I had a really hard time. I had to come back and replace the cache. Now it didn't help that someone moved the cache too! [:huh:]

And, no, after all that, I didn't log a find on the cache, but I did use the "discover" option. [;)]

With just a few mouse clicks, and some fairly simple code, Jeremy could alter the programing so that logging your own cache, and/or logging a given cache more than once would be a thing of the past. He hasn't done so, nor has he written any "rules" prohibiting the practice. Thus, it remains a grey area for me. Deliberetly lying about finds you've never even searched for is a whole different topic.

I hope GC doesn't get into this business.

If that was the cache, then the whole cache log find should be locked down until the owner of the cache can verify that the finders name is in the physical logbook. Then those find numbers will really mean something.

Until then, the tally score is complete BS. Regardless of how many milestone coins you pass out, milestone parties and certificates are handed out, and how many congratulatory threads are started on regional and local forums.

I would rather see GC.com remove find totals from individual cache pages ... oh wait, didn't we try that once before. :anicute:

Besides, isn't there a whole Caching clone type website that caters towards find counts, why do we need another?

The truth of the matter, I think most people don't know better, nor do they really care, that is why the log finds on their own pages. After all, it is the first option, right?

Edited by ekitt10

:anicute: What can be done if anything with these cheaters?

Well, we can draw and quarter them, keelhaul them, put them on the rack, put them in an iron maiden, boil them in oil (EV Olive, please).

Or, shake our heads at their apparent lack of ethics, remember that this is, after all, a game, and move on, cuz when it's all said and done, it's not going to affect anyone.

Frankly speaking, I am stunned, shocked and aghast at your reply. Specifically, what disturbs me is that you recommend boiling them in generic extra virgin (EV) olive oil rather than in certified organic, expeller-processed extra virgin olive oil. Shame on you! :huh:

BTW, for some reason, logging your own cache seems to have become quite trendy in my area, not only among relative newcomers but also among established cachers with many finds under their belts. I do not get it, and I would certainly not do that myself, but I do not need to judge those who engage in this practice. The practice seems odd and futile to me.

Although I confess I did not go through all the posts, I wonder what is the fuss about ? Is geoching some kind of competition ? SOme prize to be winned (Nobel prize of caching may be ?)

I guess no, so my opinion is that cheating does not really apply here.

Numbers of cache logged ? does not mean anything, difficulty, interest ... should be factored in.

Difficult caches logged while never found ? So, who does the cheater fool if not himself ?

If one is jealous of the performance of the "cheater", one gives him too much importance and therefore indirectly plays his game.

Ignorance and contempt are the best attitute.

I was playing putt-putt one evening with some friends, and on one hole I noticed someone in the group behind us miss a couple of putts and then just pushed the ball into the hole. They called out their score to whoever was writing down scores for their group and went on.

This person "cheated" and didn't really get that score (or tally). Their entire game was suddenly suspect, I suppose. However, nobody called them a cheater, nobody cared. They were playing putt-putt the way they wanted to, and their score meant nothing to anyone else anyway.

If someone logs a find on their own cache instead of leaving a note, I don't think they're cheating, they're not trying to "win" geocaching, and I seriously doubt they're trying to fake enough finds to get the praise of lesser mortals at future events.

A few of the people in this thread that have spoken up about how horrible the practice of faking finds is, are the same people that are loudest to shout that "numbers don't matter" whenever comparisons are made between two people's find count.

So which is it? If numbers don't matter, then stop suggesting that faking finds just to increase numbers is something you care about.

:( What can be done if anything with these cheaters?

Frankly speaking, I am stunned, shocked and aghast at your reply. Specifically, what disturbs me is that you recommend boiling them in generic extra virgin (EV) olive oil rather than in certified organic, expeller-processed extra virgin olive oil. Shame on you! ;)

Don't got that in our local Albertson's

Frankly speaking, I am stunned, shocked and aghast at your reply. Specifically, what disturbs me is that you recommend boiling them in generic extra virgin (EV) olive oil rather than in certified organic, expeller-processed extra virgin olive oil. Shame on you

How dare both of you suggest any kind of olive oil which is an import. Support American farmers. Use corn oil!

it's 83 degrees here in florida today, it's been about 5 degrees above normal all winter. what do you call that?

You call that......"FLORIDA WARMING"

By the way, I lived in Florida for about a year. Do the cockroaches still get big as small aircraft down there?

Chuckwagon <_<

I was born in Florida. The aircraft are getting as big as small cockroaches.

My numbers are only important, and then only marginally, to me. I don't care about anyone else's. Let them log whatever they want.

. . .My suggestion? Find something worthwhile to worry about. Try global warming. :blink:

Tally... Score...Same thing. The point is this member is not being honest with their finds. And I'm not worried about it. However I WOULD worry about global warming if it actually existed. :)

it's 83 degrees here in florida today, it's been about 5 degrees above normal all winter. what do you call that?

Well, speaking as a scientist, I believe that global warming is really happening -- there is no doubting that when you look at the data about arctic ice, ocean temperatures and temperatures and average temperature trends in temperate climates such as ours, but I suspect that human activities (i.e., CO2 emissons from burning fossil fuels) may account for only about 25% of the cause. The larger cause seems to be simply the fact that our planet has always had long-term cycles of cooling and warming -- in fact, this is what results in periodic ice ages and movement of glaciers every 10,000 to 60,000 years, and it has been well-known for a long time that our planet has been on a warming cycle for many hundreds of years. So, I believe -- as do many scientists and engineeers -- that human activities may account for part of the warming, but not for the majority of it.

Frankly speaking about the whole global warming hysteria, the odd reality is that we humans tend to overreact in judging the effects of our activities on the planet and its environment. The fact is that history shows that a single strike by a medium-sized or large meteor (and these do happen, but just not every day) or a single large volcanic eruption has much more effect on the environment of the biosphere (the slice of the planet's surface, waters and atmosphere in which we live) than any of our puny human activities (short perhaps, of detonating tens of thousands of massive high-yield thermonuclear weapons at once, and even that pales in comparsion to the eruption of one super-volcano....)

... The fact is that history shows that a single strike by a medium-sized or large meteor (and these do happen, but just not every day) or a single large volcanic eruption has much more effect on the environment of the biosphere (the slice of the planet's surface, waters and atmosphere in which we live) than any of our puny human activities (short perhaps, of detonating tens of thousands of massive high-yield thermonuclear weapons at once, and even that pales in comparsion to the eruption of one super-volcano....)
Isn't that like saying that a jumbo jet crashing into my home will destroy it much more efficiently than my leaving a candle burning?
... The fact is that history shows that a single strike by a medium-sized or large meteor (and these do happen, but just not every day) or a single large volcanic eruption has much more effect on the environment of the biosphere (the slice of the planet's surface, waters and atmosphere in which we live) than any of our puny human activities (short perhaps, of detonating tens of thousands of massive high-yield thermonuclear weapons at once, and even that pales in comparsion to the eruption of one super-volcano....)
Isn't that like saying that a jumbo jet crashing into my home will destroy it much more efficiently than my leaving a candle burning?

Sbell111, I understand where you are coming from. I am certainly not trying to downplay certain real environmental issues, such as the dangers posed toxic waste pollutants emitted at excessive levels into air, water and soil, or any of a number of other REAL environmental issues caused by humans, but the current global warming trend, while it is definintely happening -- and no sane person can deny the evidence -- is likely due more to normal temperature/climactic cycles of our planet than to human activities.

Oh, and another topic that you probably do not want to get me going on is the issue of the "dangers" of "radon gas" and the whole industry of radon remediaton! What a scam! (nuff said...!) :):blink::blink: (Phew, at least I did not start ranting about the dangers of pasteurizing milk!) :blink:

Vinny, can you copy/paste that to Al Gore and his cronies? Seems like he could use a dose of common sense. :)

C-R, there are a LOT more people than Al Gore and his cronies -- and including many scientists -- who are worrying and preaching about the dangers of global warming, and I appreciate their concern, but somehow their (to me futile) concern reminds me of trying to push a massive river, or of trying to have a boxing match with God or of trying to step on Superman's cape! The earth has been engaged in cooling and warming cycles in the bioshpere for as long as the planet has existed, which is billions of years if (like me) you are embrace both science and Holy Spirit, thousands of years if you embrace mainstream creationism, hundreds of years if you embrace radical creationism, or something fuzzy about rising from the ashes of Lemuria and Atlantis if you are a New Ager! (Sorry I left out Zoroastrianism, but I could not figure out their stance on the age of the earth...!)

Frankly speaking, I am stunned, shocked and aghast at your reply. Specifically, what disturbs me is that you recommend boiling them in generic extra virgin (EV) olive oil rather than in certified organic, expeller-processed extra virgin olive oil. Shame on you
How dare both of you suggest any kind of olive oil which is an import. Support American farmers. Use corn oil!
What about all that olive oil that they make in the western US?

While logging some finds from today I noticed that several of the caches were from the same person. (Nothing unusual yet.) As I was looking at their profile I noticed that they have placed 22 caches around in a relatively small area. (still nothing unusual) However this member has then went back and logged their own caches as FINDS to obviously raise their totals!!!!!!! :D What can be done if anything with these cheaters?

Find counts are a tally, not a score. Since someone else's tally has no effect on you or anyone else, how is it "cheating"?

For all you know, this "person" is actually a team, and the caches were place by one member, and found by another.

My suggestion? Find something worthwhile to worry about. Try global warming. :D

Or better yet, pocket caches, those are apparently worthy of worrying about.