Loggong trade swag - How specific?

FourGremlins

We cache with 2 adults and 2 kids. We usually trade toys (equal or better value left) and then I drop in a few signature items or tattoos or something (non-trade).

All the logging gets annoying. Do I have to be really specific about which toys were traded? Maybe some cachers may like to see who picked up their swag, but logging 4-5 items taken and 5-6 items left gets tiresome. (log in logbook, then log in notes to take home to the PC to then log on geocaching.com etc)

Can I just log "Toy Swap" for the toy part of the swap in the log book? and maybe get specific in the geocaching.com logs?

or maybe even be brief about the toy swap on geocaching.com logs too?

Thanks for help/opinions...

edited for spelling etc

Edited by FourGremlins
Do I have to be really specific about which toys were traded?

No. Some owners like it because it give them an idea as to what is left in the cache, but its not a requirement by any means. A simple TSLSSL (Took something, left something, signed log) would suffice and that isn't even necessary.

I too am specific about what I trade. Well, to a point anyways. I will say "left toy soldier" not "left 3.5 inch GI Joe Action Figure with Karate Chop Action still mint in original dollar store packaging"

I too think it helps keep people honest. I always wonder when someone logs something like "Took bar of gold, left something else" or to be more accurate, I will see "Took toy soldier and hot wheels car, left some trinkets" which usually means they left garbage (IMO).

Of course, nothing is required (you don't even have to log your cache online if you want) but I think just saying "Traded some items" sounds fishy to me. If you're truly trading even or up (as you should be, so kudos!), then I think you should log it, as it will help out your geocaching rep.

All the logging gets annoying. Do I have to be really specific about which toys were traded?

Can I just log "Toy Swap" for the toy part of the swap in the log book? and maybe get specific in the geocaching.com logs?

or maybe even be brief about the toy swap on geocaching.com logs too?

You can log whichever way you want. AFAIK, there are no "rules". I, for one, usually write a brief note in the cache logbook and sign it with my screen name. If it's an out of state cache, I'll add my home state: "Cliff_hanger from CT"

But, for the online logs, instead of finding them annoying, I like to write enough to demonstrate to the cache owner that I appreciated his efforts in placing the cache and adding to my enjoyment of the sport. I have had several owners PM me to thank me for the online logs I wrote. Check out my (cliff_hanger's) log for this one - more than I usually write. So far, for my paltry caches, I've really enjoyed reading what finders write.....

It all boils down to....everyone can play the game to any style that fits them best. Their are some things that only one style is the right style. An example to that would be rehiding the cache in the exact spot where you found it.

However, making a complete report as to the inventory that you removed from a cache combined with the new inventory that you provided as the replacement gag gift....I don't feel that their is one set way to do it, and if you don't log at all that you took/left something in the cache then you are going to be the topic of smack talk forever.......do whatever suits you best!

We try to log as much detail as is reasonable for the size of the log. We tend to account for MOST everything we put in or take out of a log.

Sometimes I'll be MUCH less specific about things being trashed out to prevent hurt feelings. An example of this was that recently there were some caches that contained folded, construction-paper "fans". They were clearly the masterwork of some thoughtful young kid. While I can appreciate the effort and thought that went into them, they were all damp, wet, or mildewy. I trashed them out of multiple caches found that day (one per cache) and left new items in their place. I did NOT write in the log that I "Took the wonderful paper fans" as I don't really want to propogate the myth that they were of any use or artistic benefit. :wub: Nor did I want to hurt anyone's feelings by saying, "Removed crappy, stinky paper fans." :wub:

Unlike bragging about how much you make, how much you give to your church, or how much you give to charity, I don't have a problem "bragging" about the items I leave in caches. Typically it very rarely relates to much money. Part of the fun of this "game" for me is finding good quality swag for cheap!!! How many of you out there also enjoy that aspect? My wife laughs at me because I now view EVERYTHING as potential swag! :rolleyes: As for what I use for swag, most of it is "Dollar Store" or Clearance stuff that I pick up here and there. The actual items are typically those items identified in these very forums as being desirable swag items... ...ponchos, first aid kits, etc.

I try to find low-cost items that will have some degree of usefulness or entertainment to someone finding the cache in the future. I try to always leave one item that would interest a child AND one item that would interest an adult. I REALLY wish local cachers would adopt this philosophy and put more items attractive to adults in the caches when they trade.

All in all... ...I sincerely hope to improve Geocaching by leadership through example. I don't have any designs on imposing my beliefs upon others, but instead hope they'll see my example and choose to take it upon themselves to equal or surpass my efforts.

Sure, I like to see if later finders take what I left in the cache. That gives me an idea of what swag other cachers like to find. But if cachers are swapping several items at a time, all that detail could be tedious for them. In that case, I think the short explanation in the first post is almost perfect. I would prefer to have a general idea what you left; just saying, "sig item," is not enlightening. So something like, "Swapped toys, left temporary tattoos and our beaded hemp bracelet."