Garmin eTrex Vista for a beginner?

Gardner Hillbillies

I started out with an antique Garmin 38 then I got a Vista about 4 years ago. It is still working and has hidden a lot of caches and done a lot of trail mapping. Its small size makes it very handy on the trail, fits on the pack strap with no problem.

I would recommend you get a Vista. But if you've got the Bucks then a 60 CSX would be real nice.

Not sure what they wanted for the Vista, but usually for about the same price as the Vista you can get an eTrex Venture CX. The CX has a color display, better reception, a faster USB connection and expandible memory up to 2 gigs. There is also a Vista CX but that is a bit more money.

Wal-fartmart's website says they're selling the Vista for about $180. You can get the Venture CX (which has auto-routing, the Vista doesn't) for just 20 bucks more on Amazon. That's definitely the way to go.

Edited by Prime Suspect

Not sure what they wanted for the Vista, but usually for about the same price as the Vista you can get an eTrex Venture CX. The CX has a color display, better reception, a faster USB connection and expandible memory up to 2 gigs. There is also a Vista CX but that is a bit more money.

Wal-fartmart's website says they're selling the Vista for about $180. You can get the Venture CX (which has auto-routing, the Vista doesn't) for just 20 bucks more on Amazon. That's definitely the way to go.

I think the Venture CX would be a better move b/c then you can actually load Mapsource maps on it. Also, the barometric altimeter and compass you will probably fail to miss.

I have the Etrex vista older model cable connects to a serial port non usb.

I have hiked with it in the rainforest around Mendenhal glacier in Alaska up the russian river falls trail all around the western US. The thing has been bulletproof.

Using topo mapsource 3.0 dated year of 2000 on case. still workin fine.

Want the 60csx but Santa did not bring one this year.

I think the Venture CX would be a better move b/c then you can actually load Mapsource maps on it. Also, the barometric altimeter and compass you will probably fail to miss.

Actually you can load Mapsource maps onboth the Vista and Venture CX. Only the Venture CX will handle autorouting though.

And make sure its the Venture CX. The regular Venture is a whole different animal.

turkeytrack,

I am only a newbie with a basic e-trax that was given to me, but I offer this: think about what you want to do with this tool and hobby before you make a purchase. As with most addictive activities, most people wish that they purchased better gear at the beginning. I am having a blast in my first 7 days and have already found 14 caches with my basic GPS, but I am already dreaming bigger and better. I know that I will soon have my memory filled – more memory would be cool. I also wish I had the ability to down load maps – that would be really cool. An electronic compass – yes, it would be very nice to have my GPS continue to point in the same direction when I slow down to my search pace… Overall I am pleased, blessed and overwhelmed with joy, but if I were in your shoes and still had the initial purchase before me, I would get the best GPS for the price that had the electronic compass and map software. Cheers,

Good to hear that all the posters have had good comments about the the Garmin eTrex Vista. I was lucky enough to get the Vista Cx for Christmas. This has opened my life to the Caching experience and love it.

Has anyone purchased or downloaded any further maps or features to theirs?

Good to hear that all the posters have had good comments about the the Garmin eTrex Vista. I was lucky enough to get the Vista Cx for Christmas. This has opened my life to the Caching experience and love it.

Has anyone purchased or downloaded any further maps or features to theirs?

I have a Vista CX - I baught it for backpacking and X-Country skiing. Now I found GeoCaching.... So, I have 1 gig memory with City Navigator loaded (does auto routing really nice). Cost is ~$130 for the software, but it makes short work of finding caches. I route by roads at first and then switch to off road when I am close. The compass is a real time saver too.