Drill hole in Enamel Coin?

FourGremlins

I have not drilled a huge number of coins, but if you have a coin that has enamel on one side but not the other, start on the enamel side. I drilled a coin like it and started on the non-enamel side. The enamal where the drill came out chipped and cracked a bit, but then I'm a beginner where the drill press is concerned. I painted the spot with clear fingernail polish in the hopes of containing the damage to that spot, and then sent the coin on its way. Generally, I try to avoid drilling where there is enamel, but sometimes it can't be helped.

Thanks for all of your help! You're great!

Bushwacker found a nice sharp drill bit and did the deed. I put some clear nail polish on it where just a tiny bit of enamel flaked off. (It has enamel on both sides - yikes!)

I'll post a new "final and ready for release" photo on the page in the next few days. (It will be easy to find via my profile. I don't have many trackables yet)

Have a warm and peaceful holiday!

Thanks for all of your help! You're great!

Bushwacker found a nice sharp drill bit and did the deed. I put some clear nail polish on it where just a tiny bit of enamel flaked off. (It has enamel on both sides - yikes!)

I'll post a new "final and ready for release" photo on the page in the next few days. (It will be easy to find via my profile. I don't have many trackables yet)

Have a warm and peaceful holiday!

just wrap it in some masking tape, pros do this when painting on metal surfaces and have to drill thru the metal, prevents chiping.

I tend to take out my diamond burrs and go through the enamel until I hit metal, or at least make a goosd seat for the drill bit. The one time I didn't do this, I managed to take a large chunk out of the enamel on one side of a coin. Whoops! :D Thankfully it was a design where having the hole there overshadowed any effect by the missing enamel.