Arrow leads me the wrong way Garmin 76CSX

Delawhere

I am having trouble with my new Garmin 76CSX. I can't get the arrow "point" me in the right direction. I have it set up for track up and course pointer. I do not have the follow road option chosen, my apologies for forgetting what the other option is called. I have calibrated the compass after installing new batteries.

The arrow sometimes points me in the right direction but then will start pointing in a direction maybe 45 to 120 degrees off of the course. I am comparing it to my Garmin V which I am comfortable with. I have even tried this when searching for a visible benchmark in an open field. The V points me the right direction whereas the 76CSX will lead me away.

The "distance to the cache" (or whatever the field is called) is correct, it will accurately count down.

The arrow actually points at the correct (according to the Garmin V) compass heading. In other words, let's say I am heading due south. Both units will say that I am heading south. The V will have South at the top of compass and the arrow will be pointing straight ahead, in my direction of travel. The 76CSX may have West at the top of the compass but the arrow will be pointing towards the South on the compass, thus leading me in a 90 degree different direction. If I follow the arrow then the "distance to the cache" will increase, alerting me that something is wrong

What am I doing wrong? I have tried changing to various combinations of North/Track up and Course/Bearing etc. and cannot get it to work.

One last question. This unit goes through batteries much faster than I anticipated. I get 3-5 hours, usually closer to 3. Is this normal? I have it in daylight mode.

Sorry about the long post. This has been really frustrating.

Thanks

Well, I am not sure what problems you are experiencing. Just keep in mind that with the 76CSx, you have to set wether you have installed Alkaline, NiMH, etc batteries. Are you running with the backlight on? That will drain your batteries very quickly. I keep mine off all of the time and I can easily get over 20 hours with 2400 mah NiMH batteries.

As far as the compess, make sure you use Bearing Pointer. Have you tried toggling WAAS? Are you holding the compess level? How close are you to the target? The compess seems to point best when I am about 40-50 ft from the GZ. When I get within 18 or so feet and pause, the compess usually starts pointing everwhere.

I hope this helps. Either way, I hope the unit isn't broken.

I have had the same problem with my 76CSX as well.

I found that the rechargeable batteries are not all the same size, The GPS worked fine on some batteries but as soon as I put another set in of a different make the compass would point in the wrong direction.

All came right after changing batteries again.

The batteries that gave problems were a tight fit in the GPS

Try this...whether you agree that it makes sense or not.

Turn the compass OFF

Set the unit on North UP

Use BEARING POINTER

GO TO-Choose OFF ROAD

ONLY ONLY ONLY pay attention to what it's telling you (pointing) when you are MOVING....That's the only way(detecting your movement) the unit knows which way you are traveling, therefore that's the only time it knows which way to direct you (by pointing to a set of "go to" coordinates)

As soon as you STOP to "look at what it's telling you", you have screwed up.(especially with the newer sensitive SIRF III receivers) Do your looking and understanding "WHILE YOU ARE MOVING".

ONLY turn the compass on and use it when you are STANDING STILL and with the unit held level and horizontal with the ground. Tthat's opposite from the nearly vertical position it needs to be held to most accurately receive satellite signals.

It works correctly doesn't it?

Use it with these settings for a while and then you can start changing to some of your other combinations.

Edited by Grasscatcher

Try this...whether you agree that it makes sense or not.

Turn the compass OFF

Set the unit on North UP

Use BEARING POINTER

ONLY ONLY ONLY pay attention to what it's telling you (pointing) when you are MOVING....That's the only way(detecting your movement) the unit knows which way you are traveling, therefore that's the only time it knows which way to direct you (by pointing to a set of "go to" coordinates)

As soon as you STOP to "look at what it's telling you", you have screwed up.(especially with the newer sensitive SIRF III receivers) Do your looking and understanding "WHILE YOU ARE MOVING".

ONLY turn the compass on and use it when you are STANDING STILL and with the unit held level and horizontal with the ground.(and calibrated )That's opposite from the nearly vertical position it needs to be held to most accurately receive satellite signals.

It works correctly doesn't it?

Use it with these settings for a while and then you can start changing to some of your other combinations.

I have noticed the same problem with my 60CSX, during one of the firmware updates Garmin added back into the 60CSX the "Hold Level" prompt on the compass screen. If that has changed then I am guessing Garmin has changed other compass functions. I would venture to say that unless someone complains to Garmin about the loss of functionality the it wont get fixed. By loss of functionality I mean that the compass is acting erratically whether on GPS or electronic compass.

Hi, this is OP again.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have the correct battery type-alkaline. I have backlight set to zero and it set for daytime use.

I goofed when I was trying grasscatchers suggestion to turn the compasss off. I didn't realize that I was supposed to do turn off the compass but I did the other steps.

When I first started using my Garmin V I figured out that you had to be moving to have the arrow point in the right direction.

When I was out today, trying the recommended suggestions I was again having problems. At one point the arrow was pointing me in the opposite direction. When I told it to recalculate it again started pointed me in the right direction, for awhile, then it again began pointing me in the wrong direction. This was while continuously hiking. I have tried holding the unit level and the unit upright. I calibrated it, after replacing the batteries, with the unit held horizontally.

I appreciate the recommendations. Any more ideas before I contact Garmin.

Thanks again.

Not sure why Grasscatcher's telling you to use the compass only when your stopped. as you can use it anytime you want without problems (sept battery drainage)

And as Red90 said, to get it to work the way you want you must use "bearing" pointer.

"course" pointer is mostly for boaters. It tells you whether your deviating from a strait line going from start point to end point.

"I wish I had remembered to try it with the compass off when I was out trying the other suggestions."..........

Try ALL of the original suggestions at the same time....and it will work correctly. Use it that way for a while .

Then, and only then , change ONLY ONE SETTING AT A TIME , and see what difference in reaction you get, while in use.

The reason why I say to only use the compass while stopped is for two reasons, in order for the GPSr to be the most accurate, it needs to be held semi-vertical for the best satellite reception. The only way the compass will work properly is when calibrated and held level and horizontally. If you can explain to me how a new user that is not yet fully familiar with their unit can expect accuracy while trying to hold a GPSr in two distinctly different positions at the same time, while also trying to walk and look for a cache,etc.....I will admit that I might be incorrect.

All that's happening is eliminating variables. In the process ,the only thing that will permanently change is the users understanding of how the unit works and how all the features possibly are interacting.

You're turning off l the confusing "bells and whistles", going back to basics. Disagree? Check out the majority of the forum questions....they are about (generally the result of) all the bells and whistles

Edited by Grasscatcher

Two things to check.

First try it with the compass off. It should work like your GPS V. If it does...

Try it with the compass on. It shoudl work like your GPS V when moving & the compass is off (ie the compass kicks on if you slow down or stop...know this setting so you know the compass is off). changes from working with the compass off to pointing odd with it on try calibrating your compass.

If in either case it's not working like it should, contact garmin. Night Stalkers 60CS had pointing issues when he got it. I'd use my V and go straigt to the cache and he would meander all over following the pointer. We traded and I had the same problem. Garmin replaced the GPS.

just a note on the 'digital compass' vs while moving... you generally have to be moving more than a certain speed before it will switch from electronic compass to the motion based compass (calculated by coordinate changes)

I had heard in many units it is afew MPH, which is probably faster than many people walk while looking at the GPSr on the hunt. Yet another reason to turn of the electronic compass feature.

...I had heard in many units it is afew MPH, which is probably faster than many people walk while looking at the GPSr on the hunt. Yet another reason to turn of the electronic compass feature.

You can set this to whatever speed (or even stopped for a certain amount of time) works for you. Like you Off worked for me. I c ould turn it on by pressing and holding the compass button.

I had issues with my 60cs when I got it a few years ago and came to a few conclusions.

1. I love the magnetic compass but they're very sensitive and don't work perfectly.

2. The magnetic compass does not work while clipped to my bike. Points everywhere but the right direction no matter what I try. Too much metal - same as in the car.

3. I got a fancy new watch that had a pulse checker built-in - if I held the unit with the hand that had the watch, I got erratic readings but worked OK in the other hand (took a while to figure that out)

Just a thought, you're not carrying a strong magnet with you, are you?

A friend of mine was having the exact same problem with her 60CS a while back. It had us scratching our heads for a while. The distance did right by counting up as you walked away from the cache but the arrow itself kept trying to take us away from the cache. I fiddled with it and it turned out to be a GPSr setting. Easy to set straight after i found it but unfortunately, now i can't remember what it was that i found.

It may have something to do with a course versus bearing setting but i'm not sure. I'll ask her tomorrow and see if she remembers anything

OP back again <_<

How do I turn my compass off on the 76CSX. I have sifted and sorted through every page and menu and cannot figure out how to turn the compass off.

I was out with a geocaching group last night. Every one else's arrow was pointing "this away" and my arrow was pointing "that away" Arrggh!

Why in the world would they make a GPS where you can't have a arrow and the compass at the same time. At this point in time I feel like the 76CSX was a complete waste of money.

Thanks again for you help. Any suggestions on how to turn the compass off?

Cachers can often have problems with compasses, whether built into the GPS or just standard magnetic compasses. Ferrous metal (containing iron) will attract the compass needle, and cause it to point in the wrong direction, as will radio waves (they don't call it electromagnetic radiation for nothing). The GPS receiver generates some EMR, as can mp3 players and other electronics, and all sorts of metal you may be carrying can affect compasses. I learned long ago in the Army that your rifle will pull the compass way off, and if you need a true bearing you have to get rid of everything - pack, rifle, everything, then pick it back up when you have a good bearing. That's why I don't bother much with them. I carry one on longer walks, just in case everything else fails, but while searching I just use a standard GPS. It tells me the direction of the cache, and it tells me the approximate direction I'm moving when I'm moving, so it's easy enough to tell the direction I need to go. I don't use needles at all - I just use the trip computer page which tells me the information I need. The arrow on the nav page isn't worth much to me. Everyone has his own technique, though.

OP again.

Is there an "I am an idiot" emoticon, smilie or froggie?

I just found the online manual for the 76CSX. I should have held down the Page button to turn the compass on and off. I was looking for a menu setting. Silly me. :huh:

Thanks again.

The problem you are having is with the compass. Just to repeat it one more time, after all the posts above...

Turn the compass off and your problem will be solved. (hold down the PAGE button)

As Grasscatcher says, the compass will only give you a correct bearing when held level. You can experiment with this - while standing still, bring up the compass and hold the unit flat and level with the ground. Then tilt the unit slightly from side to side. You will see the compass ring shift. Tilt the unit up to 70 deg like you typically hold it while walking and it will probably point somewhere out to the side. A trusty Silva compass must also be held perfectly level to get an accurate bearing. It is the nature of magnetic compasses and not a flaw in your 76C.

Just so you know, this problem happens to "old salts," too. I was doing a cache last week that is along a steep ledge. I stopped at the bottom to do my twirly wirly to calibrate the compass. Halfway up I noticed the bearing pointer was pointing out behind me over the ledge but the distance was still counting down. What's up wth this dang thing? I ignored the pointer (there was only one way to go, up) and watched the distance tick down. Found the cache and selected the next one, but on the way down the dang pointer is now pointing back at the cache I just found! Duh!!! when I calibrated the compass I forgot to turn it off again. Turned the compass off and all was well in world, again.

Leaving the compass off except when you need it will also save battery power.

Once you turn it off by holding down the PAGE button, it will stay off until you turn it on again by holding the PAGE button. The other option is to set the speed at which the compass turns on to zero for say 60 seconds or longer. To do this, MENU MENU / Setup / heading.

Good luck!

So sorry... didn't mean to post to your topic cause not really at all related. But can't find a new topic button right now. I'm doing the 76csx doubts on receiving one for christmas. What are the truths to autorouting between 76 and 60? Does the 60 do it? I've owned a 76s for quite awhile now so I know how it works... generally. Haven't really tested out the new one.... but my understanding is that the 60 series has autorouting and the 76series doen not. Can someone please confirm this for me before I throw the box out? Thanks so much and hopping your having a wonderful holiday season!

So sorry... didn't mean to post to your topic cause not really at all related. But can't find a new topic button right now. I'm doing the 76csx doubts on receiving one for christmas. What are the truths to autorouting between 76 and 60? Does the 60 do it? I've owned a 76s for quite awhile now so I know how it works... generally. Haven't really tested out the new one.... but my understanding is that the 60 series has autorouting and the 76series doen not. Can someone please confirm this for me before I throw the box out? Thanks so much and hopping your having a wonderful holiday season!

Both the Garmin GPSmap 60csx and the Garmin GPSmap 76csx have autorouting features. My husband uses the 60cs and I have a 76cs, they also have autorouting.

You will want to add a good map to take the best advantage of this feature. City Select or City Navigator for US urban use and US topo for the wild areas in the US.

You can compare features of various Garmin units at:http://www.garmin.com/outdoor/compare.jsp

(Edited to change a typo, but while I'm here I should add that this is a Neos2 post--which makes Team Neos even, as Neos1 made a post yesterday under my forum account, and now I have made one on his.)

Edited by Neos 1

The Map series will autoroute, ie, GPS MAP 60c.

As long as "Map" is in the unit name, it will autoroute.

The Map series will autoroute, ie, GPS MAP 60c.

As long as "Map" is in the unit name, it will autoroute.

That may be true for the Cx(s) models but it isn't for all units that have "map" in the model name. I use a GPSMAP 76s and it does NOT autoroute!