Just ordered my 1st gps

Wizard750201

I just orded a Garmin GPSMap60cx. I should get it this early in the week, I can't wait!! The question I have is do I need to buy map software now or can I wait. I bought it for geocaching mostly but I'm sure I'll use it all the time. I'm also sure I'll be in the forums to search or ask questions. I'm looking forward to finding my first cache. Thanks for your answers in advance.

Wizard750201

I had purchased the Garmin street pilot 5 months ago and it came with a map software for the unit. 3 weeks ago I purchased a GPSMap60c and reregistered it with garmin under my current software. So i was able to use software I already owned to add to other garmin units which rocked cuz i didnt have to spend another $75+ I dont know if your unit will come with maps...i dont think it will as my GPSMap60c didnt...but wait to see what you get in the GPSMap60cx package then go from there!

I cached for about a month before purchasing the City Navigator software. The purchase was mainly to avoid confusion when I was caching in other cities or parts of town I am unfamiliar with. I see the Topo software as much more handy when caching in non-suburban areas, and I'll probably be purchasing it as well in the next month.

You can wait, but once you get it you will wonder what you were waiting for. City Navigator V8 will make your 60CSX much more useful as it takes full advantage of the autorouting feature and will give you turn by turn driving directions to a cache, or any other destination.

If you go off road a lot and hike, backpack, hunt or geocache in the woods, Mapsource Topo is also helpful.

If its not too late, put some mapping software on your Christmas wish list.

Edited by briansnat

I also use the City Map software, but sometimes it gets kinda weird. Like, a cache in a park it might have me go into a subdivsion next door 'cause it's closer to the cache than the park entrance. Not too hard to solve though.

PP

That's true, it will try to bring you to the street closest to the cache because it doesn't know where the parking area is. But most of the time it will get you 90 percent of the way there and you have to figure out the rest.

you can use your 60 cx right out of the box !!! especially for geocaching !!

it will have limited detailed navigation for driving.. for example it will give you all the major highways and stateroads but it will not tell you the name of the street your on!!! or how to get to a certain address.

if you want detailed auto navigation, youll need to purchase the " city navigator" software ( which is pretty good)

if you want detailed marine or other fishing info youll need to purchse thier " topo" software

other than that your gps is ready to use the minute you throw some batteries into it !!!!

the only other software you might have to download is software to transfer waypoints from your pc or mac into the computer.. and if you dont download the software you just have to enter the coordinates manually which is no big deal !!..