Garmin "X" model owners: 1GB MicroSD card only $12

DocDiTTo

Just passing this along since many of us can make use of a cheap 1GB MicroSd card...

Buy.com has the US Modular 1GB microSD Secure Digital Card for $52 - $20 Mail In Rebate - $20 off $50 using Google Checkout = $12 w/ free shipping.

The deal

1GB is enough storage to hold maps of the whole USA if you're running Mapsource City Navigator 8 NT.

Just passing this along since many of us can make use of a cheap 1GB MicroSd card...

Buy.com has the US Modular 1GB microSD Secure Digital Card for $52 - $20 Mail In Rebate - $20 off $50 using Google Checkout = $12 w/ free shipping.

The deal

1GB is enough storage to hold maps of the whole USA if you're running Mapsource City Navigator 8 NT.

Sweet thanks!

Not to pick nits, but that's not $12.00 in my book. The price to add it to my cart is $32, so that's how much it costs, with the added fun of maybe getting $20 back before Easter. Plus, it's out of stock, will ship in 1-2 weeks. $32 is a good price for 1GB Micro SD, but I don't count my MIRs before they hatch.

Not to pick nits, but that's not $12.00 in my book. The price to add it to my cart is $32, so that's how much it costs, with the added fun of maybe getting $20 back before Easter. Plus, it's out of stock, will ship in 1-2 weeks. $32 is a good price for 1GB Micro SD, but I don't count my MIRs before they hatch.

lol

You might not, but the rest of the world seems to.

FYI, just in case anyone prefers Kingston to USModular, Buy.com now has a Kingston 1GB microSD for $33.95 with free shipping. The deal also includes a $9 mail-in rebate and $10 instant savings by using Google Checkout. FInal cost after a $0.39 stamp and 10-12 weeks of waiting: $14.95!

The link: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=...&adid=17662

Edited by HortonK

I don't do rebates anymore. They are a business scam that may or may not pay off for the company or the customer. It is a calculated risk on the business' part, and since the business itself does not even directly handle the rebate, it makes it much harder for accountability.

I do rebates and I get them all. Play the game by the rules and reap the rewards or don't play the game. Valid choice either way.

Once I was on the other end of the deal (a company I worked for did a one-time rebate) and there was a *huge* subset of submissions that didn't meet the criteria:

*buy between opening and closing dates

*original receipt

*UPC

*your mailing address

It was bizarre. I was shocked that such a high percentage of customers were unable to follow the instructions. We even sent back letters saying "you forgot to enclose your receipt" and they'd send {our letter} back with shopping lists, a self-written receipt on legal paper (matching the handwriting on the rebate form), nothing, random somethings, or in one case a poloroid of a vacation in Hawaii where they bought the product. We kept a magnifying glass to help sort out the info submitted by those with particularly illegible handwriting.

Moral of the story: follow the instructions. Make it easy for the minimum wage data-entry schlub to get your info right. I (computer) print all the usual info on a piece of 8.5x11 paper and tape all the goodies to that. My mailing address is complex but it has been done 100% correctly ever since I started doing that. Also makes photocopying the proof very easy.

I use my paperless caching pda mark the calendar when a rebate is due back to me. Takes about 5 seconds.\

{edited s/it/our letter/}

Edited by fratermus

I'm gald some of you have had good luck with rebates, so have I most times, but this is a whole new problem. These guys are appearently outright crooks. It has NOTHING to do with mistakes made in submitting applications.

A quote from the Massachusetts State Treasurer...

"This is one of the worst consumer abuses I’ve seen,” said Treasurer Cahill. “Not only is the consumer virtually unable to obtain promised rebates, but Young America, which should be processing those rebates, is keeping uncashed checks as its own property.”

"according to SEC filings, Young America pocketed $42,962,339 in uncashed rebate checks as its own income."

Thats 43 MILLION in rebates that the various Mfgs approved and PAID but the middle man KEPT!

What is happening is they are submitting and collecting the rebates from the companies and then pocketing the money instead of sending it to the consumers.

"according to SEC filings, Young America pocketed $42,962,339 in uncashed rebate checks as its own income."

Thats 43 MILLION in rebates that the various Mfgs approved and PAID but the middle man KEPT!

What is happening is they are submitting and collecting the rebates from the companies and then pocketing the money instead of sending it to the consumers.

I see no evidence supporting the assertion that they do not send the checks to the consumers. The article said that the checks were uncashed, not unsent. If they were unsent I am certain the state would have said so.

I agree that the fulfillment houses have a vested interested in there being a certain percentage of uncashed checks.

{I edited out some possible flamebait}

Edited by fratermus

I thought (in CA anyway) that if unclaimed property remained outstanding for a period of time (3 yrs in CA) that the unclaimed property - checks, savings accounts, etc. - would escheat to the state, and the banks, issuers, etc., ultimately don't profit from unclaimed items. Maybe that's just CA... maybe I'm just totally clueless!

I try to avoid rebates whenever possible, and have only been burned once, when I bought my first Garmin GPS and lost out on the $50 rebate (2 years ago) because of the online seller. That said, I'm waiting for another $50 Garmin rebate and $30 in rebates for SD cards I just purchased. Wish me luck!

I thought (in CA anyway) that if unclaimed property remained outstanding for a period of time (3 yrs in CA) that the unclaimed property - checks, savings accounts, etc. - would escheat to the state, and the banks, issuers, etc., ultimately don't profit from unclaimed items. Maybe that's just CA... maybe I'm just totally clueless!

That is actually the one half of the problem. The money doesn't and never did belong to the clearing house. They simply get a fee for processing. It belongs to the consumers, claimed or not. In Mass (where they are) the law requires it to be turned over to the state for attempted dispurtion. Young america has allegedlly 128 Million in just such funds it is keeping and has refused an audit of their books.

The really ugly half is the underlying assurtion that they tell the mfg that the consumer has met the requirements and they recieve the funds from the mfgs, but they tell the poor consumer he did not meet the requirements and never mail the ck.

The legal proceedings will likely take years.... young America has not been found guilty of anything...

I have been following this story for over a week and I understand that Best Buy is comtiplating a switch or has already switched clearing houses due to problems with Young America.

Young America is the largest of these clearing houses and if only skimming 1 or 2 percent would amount to huge amounts, while keeping 99 percent of consumers happy. Problem is if you happen to fall in the 1 or 2 percent!

If they are legit, and have nothing to hide, why would they file in 40 states in an attempt to prevent their books from bieng audited?

I'm done now!

Good luck wit dem rebates yall!