Logging DNF

dguyellison

When should a cacher log a cache as DNF?

For example, I'll go hunt a cache and not find it on the first try, but later return a second or third time and find it, then log it as "found".

Should I have logged it as a DNF the first time, then when I find it log it a second time as found (hence have two posts to the cache log), or is it all right to log only the find and list the failed attempts in the log message?

I have some DNF posts, but those only caches where I have no intention of hunting that cache again.

the general of opinion of the group seems to be that if you click go to and you don't find the cache it is a dnf. I've changed my policy on dnf's over time.

I will file a dnf if I had made an ample attempt to look for the cache without a find. If I can't get to ground zero or have to abort because of muggles It really isn't an attempt. huskerrich

When I look for a cache and give it a good search, then I log a DNF. If I can't look due to muggles or whatever I either don't log at all or just a Note that I was in the area. If I go back at a latter date and find the cache I log a Found. I do not go back and revise an old log. Logging is just part of the history of the cache.

The way I see it is that there are two possibilities when I search for a cache. I find it or I don't. If I don't I log a DNF and if I do I log a Found It. If there was a log type for "I didn't find it but I'm coming back again next week", I guess I could use that, but thre isn't so its a DNF.

And if I come back next week and don't find it, it's another DNF and every subsequent attempt gets a DNF until I find it.

The cache log is my record of my geocaching experience. I log a DNF everytime I search but can't find it, and a note if something prevents me from searching (muggles, high water can't cross the creek, etc). I enjoy looking back through my old logs and recalling the experience. If I neglect to log the DNF/NOTE/FIND, I loose the record of that experience.

Now on that 1/1 that I've dnf'd 5 times (and still haven't found but other do), I think my dnf's provide amusement for others and I wouldn't want to deprive them of a good laugh.

Log you finds and your attempts..... have fun with it .... tell the story so that others may enjoy.

For example, I'll go hunt a cache and not find it on the first try, but later return a second or third time and find it, then log it as "found".

Should I have logged it as a DNF the first time, then when I find it log it a second time as found (hence have two posts to the cache log), or is it all right to log only the find and list the failed attempts in the log message?

I have some DNF posts, but those only caches where I have no intention of hunting that cache again.

We hate it when people log as found, but state that it took them 3-4 or more goes!

We have found caches after logging it as DNF 3 times, and one "needs maintenance"

The simple thing is, did you search, did you find it??? If not, then should you log it as found?? NO!! Log it as you searched for it, as a DNF, then come back and find it, then log it as you found it "FOUND IT"

Its simple really!

Otherwise you are just falsifying the information and making yourself / team look good! Do what your heart tells you!

My $0.02 (including GST)

The key thing is to put yourself in the shoes of the cache owner. As an owner wouldn't you want to know if someone was searching for your cache, especially if they couldn't find it? It could tell you that there may be a problem, or that perhaps you might have rated the cache difficulty a bit lower than it should be.

As a cache owner I look for a pattern of DNFs to decide if I need to check on the cache. if I see 2-3 DNFs in a row I will head out the check up on it (unless it's supposed to be hard).

If CacherA comes along, can't find it and doesn't log a DNF because he plans to come back next week, then CacherB comes along and can't find it, but won't log the DNF because he is a newbie and doesn't want to look "foolish", then CacherC comes along and can't find it and does log a DNF, from my perspective as a cache owner, there has only been 1 DNF, when in reailty where were 3.

I probably would have checked on the cache after CacherB or CacherC had they logged their DNFs, but now there is a missing cache and when then next cacher comes along he will be wasting his time. If for some reason he doesn't log his DNF, another cacher or two might have to come by and log DNFs before I go out there and check on the cache. All these people have wasted their time, when if everyone logged their DNFs I could have nipped the problem early.

Edited by briansnat

Another way to look at DNFs...

Logging DNFs gives you credibility. If you log a DNF each visit saying 'I am so clueless' or 'muggles guarding treasure' then when you log a 'maybe it's missing' DNF you already have lots of credibility as a DNF Authority.

This works for me (not S!)

- T of TandS

Since this is about how to log a cache, did I do right? I found a cache, but it was destroyed, and not where it should have been. I logged it as a find, with a note about it, then sent an email to the owner giving him details about it.

Should I have done it a different way? I'm new to this hobby and learning every day!

Since this is about how to log a cache, did I do right? I found a cache, but it was destroyed, and not where it should have been. I logged it as a find, with a note about it, then sent an email to the owner giving him details about it.

Should I have done it a different way? I'm new to this hobby and learning every day!

Sounds like you did right. If you found the remains, I'd say you found the cache. And since you also notified the owner, he can do something about it.

When you search, but Did Not Find.

You should log a DNF the first time you tried to find, but did not. I've never felt it proper to not do so.

Its a gray area if you feel the need to log subsequent DNFs. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

If I finally find the cache, I log a find. So what if I know have several logs to the cache (multiple DNFs, notes, a find, etc)? Its a record of my attempts.

Sorry, I don't agree with that attitude.

Do you understand the importance of DNFs? DNFs do not indicate you are a bad cacher or a failure. But they are valuable information for both the owner and others. Not logging them hurts others.

Multiple DNFs can indicate there is a problem with the cache. Its missing or its too hard to find. As I finder I may decide NOT to go after such a cache until I see some successes. As an owner, it should tell me I need to check the cache to be sure its ok, prehaps re-think its placement or the hints, or even send the finder some hints.

Because of the importance of such information, I feel that I am 'doing my job' as part of the 'geocaching community' to provide useful information in the logs of my finds/dnf. Not to give anything away, but to indicate issues or problems. I feel that others in the 'geocaching community' should do the same by logging their DNFs. I've never figured out why some feel they don't need to log finds/dnfs on-line. They just don't seem to understand this information is useful for others. In fact, as part of my checking out caches to go after, I take a look at the logs, as it can give me some useful info. (maybe the hider is a bad hider and has bad coords, this might help; its in good shape, I see lots of finds very recently; I see no entries for a year, is this still active?; I see several recent logs, but they are all dnf, is there a problem?)

So please log your DNFs!