A unit that shows coordinates only?

Hi,

First, I'll apologize for cross posting this message in education forum first. I noticed that this one gets a lot more traffic.

Second, I am not personally familliar with GPS units. I understand the technology but have never used one myself. So, bare with me...

I am applying for funding to create a GPS scavenger hunt course in the Natural Area (forest/prairie) I work at. The goal is for youth to explore the area and learn a bit at the same time. The program will be designed for high school science or physical education classes.

The scavenger hunt will be fun and educational at the same time. The students will be in groups and each group will have a GPS unit. They will explore the property looking for caches that will give them the location to the next cache.

I am looking for a GPS unit that displays only the coordinates. A unit that curious kids can't muck up pressing buttons and no longer see the GPS coordinates (which will make it impossible to complete the scavenger hunt).

Does a model like this exist? Or is that can have certain features that I don't want kids having access to locked?

Thanks in advance!

Others that are more experienced can answer your questions on the unit, but I don't think you will find a display unit only.

A couple of options would be to disable the buttons either by modifying the circuitry, adding RTV to the buttons, or enclosing the unit in a case where the units is held in place with heavy duty foam rubber and only the display is visible.

A couple of options would be to disable the buttons either by modifying the circuitry, adding RTV to the buttons, or enclosing the unit in a case where the units is held in place with heavy duty foam rubber and only the display is visible.

The cases could be do-able, but the modifying the circuitry is way over my head.

My fear is that students will press the wrong buttons and no longer be able to see the coordinates, thus not be able to complete the scavenger hunt. Since much of the scavenger hunt will be done without supervision, no one will be able to 'reset' the unit.

Are entry-level GPS units User firendly (idiot proof)?

A gecko or even an etrex basic would do the job. You can muck around with them and smart kids with geocaching roots could figure out the "go to" function...

But all of these have a basic screen that shows you your position. Since it's a basic screen you can always find it fairly simply.

At it's simplest a GPS marks where you are so you can "go to" that spot again. Thus even the most basic GPS has functionality beyond what you are asking for.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Pardon the sardonicism, but if high-school age students in a science class are going to 'muck up' the settings

on the GPS, then they're misplaced. Phys. ed. though, that's a different story. Sure, I have high expectations,

but without 'em you're embracing lowest common denominator thinking and behavior. Which by-the-way is

tearing this world (and our country) asunder. Don't underestimate their capacity to 'pick it up', with effective

guidance and motivation, you'd be surprised at their capacity to learn.

. Stepping down off the "soap box" Norm ducks the 'flames'.

. Norm

I may be missing something, but it looks like you will need to have the students enter coordinates at each location for the next location, right? If that's the case, you may not be able to limit what the students can access.

The suggestion (by others) to use a Gecko or eTrex (Yellow) is probably a decent one. WalMart has the Yellow for about $90, and there are not a lot of buttons on them. A few minutes of instructions, and perhaps a laminated "cheat sheet" with each unit would be all that is needed.

If you show only coordinates, it would be extremely hard to navigate as you'd have to analyze the actual numbers which most people don't do.

For physical education, not to be negative, but if its anything like my school the kids won't care at all and nobody will take the time to learn how to use a gps (ofcoursre i'm an exception lol). You'd probably have 4-5 kids that do it and everyone would just follow along doing nothing.

The best unit would be an Etrex yellow or geko as other's have said.

I have a Magellan 2000 and it works fine. There are no maps nor can any be uploaded to the unit. I used it today to drive to 3 different geocache sites and was able to walt to the 0,0 distance from each cache. You dont need mapping unless you can't read a map when one is needed. The build in functions of the older units still allow for a driving mode, a flying mode, ect. As I stood in the woods today looking for a cache the GPS told me the reletive bearing from my position and the distance from the hide.

So if you dont want to spend the money there is no need. Get an old unit and have a great time hunting. This one is 7 years old and has less that one second between updates.

Hi,

First, I'll apologize for cross posting this message in education forum first. I noticed that this one gets a lot more traffic.

Second, I am not personally familliar with GPS units. I understand the technology but have never used one myself. So, bare with me...

I am applying for funding to create a GPS scavenger hunt course in the Natural Area (forest/prairie) I work at. The goal is for youth to explore the area and learn a bit at the same time. The program will be designed for high school science or physical education classes.

The scavenger hunt will be fun and educational at the same time. The students will be in groups and each group will have a GPS unit. They will explore the property looking for caches that will give them the location to the next cache.

I am looking for a GPS unit that displays only the coordinates. A unit that curious kids can't muck up pressing buttons and no longer see the GPS coordinates (which will make it impossible to complete the scavenger hunt).

Does a model like this exist? Or is that can have certain features that I don't want kids having access to locked?

Thanks in advance!

I have tried many GPS units over the years, and non come to mind, except the Foretrex 201 or 101.

There is a screen, that is a single data window, and I can change it to what ever. I had the Time displayed in the window, but I changed it to Lat/Lon, so that only the Lat/Long is showing. You will have to come up with a key guard, to keep people from changing the settings.

So I think the Foretrex 101 would be the best way, if no hookup to PC is needed.

(A cable can be found for the GPS on Amazon.com )

EDIT: Added Picture below

Foretrex 101Foretrex101-Lat-LonScreen.jpg

This is the best setup I can think of and a key guard can be possible to make, since the buttons are all on the side of the wrist GPS unit.

Edited by GOT GPS?

Hi,

Thanks in advance!

If I remember correctly, the old magellan 300 and 310 and pioneer displayed little more than the coordinates. That being said, any basic gps will do what you want to do, and with the map/plotter screen, it would be easier for them to fine their target than using just the coordinates. The target will show on the screen and all they need do is walk toward it. The gps will tell them what direction and distance they need to travel.

I may be missing something, but it looks like you will need to have the students enter coordinates at each location for the next location, right? If that's the case, you may not be able to limit what the students can access.

The suggestion (by others) to use a Gecko or eTrex (Yellow) is probably a decent one. A few minutes of instructions, and perhaps a laminated "cheat sheet" with each unit would be all that is needed.

If you show only coordinates, it would be extremely hard to navigate as you'd have to analyze the actual numbers which most people don't do.

The best unit would be an Etrex yellow or geko as other's have said.

Thanks BB and Train man,

You both are right, students will have to enter the coordinates then the unit will lead them. As I said in the first post, I'm not familliar with the units. Thanks for your advice, that is something I had overlooked! I will look at those two units. The cheat sheet is an excellent idea, as well.

If i wanted to load a map of our park into the unit is that possible? The parks that the students will be using the units in is only 32 acres. Is it possible to have a 32 acre map or is that to small?

Edited by livingprairie

Orienteering : Map & compass, . . . . no buttons, no batteries, a skill to use when the GPS might fail. Walk before running. A great oppurtunity to interact and teach problem solving skills! As a reward for not "screwing around"? Getting to use the 'electronicals'.

Thanks BB and Train man,

You both are right, students will have to enter the coordinates then the unit will lead them. As I said in the first post, I'm not familliar with the units. Thanks for your advice, that is something I had overlooked! I will look at those two units. The cheat sheet is an excellent idea, as well.

If i wanted to load a map of our park into the unit is that possible? The parks that the students will be using the units in is only 32 acres. Is it possible to have a 32 acre map or is that to small?

Teen-agers should be quite capable of operating a GPS with minimal training.

They operate cell phones, do text messaging (hopefully not cheating during class!), take digital pictures, have Ipods, access internet chat rooms, and let's not forget the popular online video games. A GPS should be child's play.

Please keep in mind the inherant errors in GPS accuracy. You will be lucky if the GPS gets you within 10 feet of the caches. Even 30 feet or more is common.

I highly suggest you contact your local geocaching association website and post your questions there. More than likey, you will find someone eager to spend an afternoon showing you the ropes. You will learn more in an hour geocaching than you will reading these boards.

I assume this is the museum in Winnipeg, Manitoba. If so, go to this link.

http://www.mbgeocaching.ca

"The Manitoba Geocaching Association (MBGA) is a non profit organization established to enhance the sport of geocaching in the province of Manitoba and city of Winnipeg. The association regularly holds events for members to meet and cache and is a central gathering point for discussions."

Oh yeah, and you're going to get HOOKED too!

Edited by michigansnorkeler

If you are not going to have very many waypoints, then you could set each GPSr for a different waypoint. Have each unit marked with a number. Have unit #1 take the group to the first spot where they will find the correct unit # for the next waypoint. Don't set the numbers on the GPSr in the correct sequence, though. Have #1 go to the 1st spot and maybe #4 go to the next spot. Every so often you could change the numbering sequence.

This eliminates anyone needing to make any changes on any of the units.

John

If you are not going to have very many waypoints, then you could set each GPSr for a different waypoint. Have each unit marked with a number. Have unit #1 take the group to the first spot where they will find the correct unit # for the next waypoint. Don't set the numbers on the GPSr in the correct sequence, though. Have #1 go to the 1st spot and maybe #4 go to the next spot. Every so often you could change the numbering sequence.

This eliminates anyone needing to make any changes on any of the units.

John

I get the idea they are looking for a standard type multi, probably with several teams. By having multiple receivers per team, this could get expensive. Also, this would take the fun out of it, if all they find is a cache with "Use GPSr #3" in it. The teams could theoretically short circuit the who thing by having members take each unit in different directions. As others have said, high schoolers (and younger) know how to work computers and those dang complicated cellphones (mine is just a phone, thank you) so a GPSr (with a cheat sheet) should be fine.

And MegaGPS.com has the Geko 101 for ~$60 factory refurbished with warranty. Not a bad deal.

Teen-agers should be quite capable of operating a GPS with minimal training.

They operate cell phones, do text messaging (hopefully not cheating during class!), take digital pictures, have Ipods, access internet chat rooms, and let's not forget the popular online video games. A GPS should be child's play.

I highly suggest you contact your local geocaching association website and post your questions there. More than likey, you will find someone eager to spend an afternoon showing you the ropes. You will learn more in an hour geocaching than you will reading these boards.

I assume this is the museum in Winnipeg, Manitoba. If so, go to this link.

http://www.mbgeocaching.ca

Thanks Michigan for the reply (and everyone else)

Teenagers should be able to use them, but it would be irresponsible to design the game without the assumption that they will have difficulties. And that doesn't mean talking down to them. I just want to remove as many of the possible variable that can go wrong from the equation. Plus to make matters more difficult, I only get the kids for maybe 2 hours.

Its sometimes diffcult for people who haven't made programs for teens to understand about making them foolproof.

I will contact my local club, thanks for the link.

I went today and looked at GPS units. The Garmin Venture CX seems to be the most likely one to purchase. Does anyone have any experience with it.

Kyle

Hi,

Last year in my electronics course I actually built a simple GPS unit to mount on a robot we were building as a class, it displayed coordinates, time, speed, temp, etc. If you are really insistent on a device that only displays coordinates and just comes with basically an on/off switch, I could definitely help, but it would not be anywhere near as economical as just getting the e-trex or something similar as others have suggested. I could probably put them together for $150-$200 a piece. Anyway, in the off chance that you are interested, just PM me.