Best DNF

biosearch

So I've looked through all the topic discussions that I've been able to using ths search engine, and although I have found more than enough "what was your best find", etc. I've not found a "what was your best dnf".

With that in mind, I'm curious what everyones best dnf has been. The reason I ask is that for me it is the trip not the destination that I do this all for.

The latest dnf that I had has to be the best. It was out at an old bridge, an historic site in the area that I didn't know exhisted. It wasn't a hike, right be the road. It was the view, the bridge, the incredible house on the hill, it was simply beautiful... King Iron (GCQXNY), I've posted images...

So let me know, more so that I can hunt for those if I'm in your area then for anything else (most of what I do is self serving...)

This one is by far my favorite DNF. It's near an 1800's Ranch site, down a very fun 4wd road.

It took me longer than I thought to get to ground zero - the whole mountain biking thing uphill in high altitude kinda wore me out. This is the cache I think about revisiting most often.

This site is one of the great reasons why to cache. Bringing you to a place you otherwise wouldn't have known about.

I love geocaching while on business travel! This past February I had the extreme fortune of leaving chchchchilly Maryland behind for a few days on a trip to Panama City Beach, Florida. One day, we finished up work around mid morning so I had the entire afternoon for exploring/caching! One of the caches I'd flagged was a simple micro stuck to a metal sign but after a long search it was obviously missing. The sign was for a public access entrance to the beach so I just took my lunch and enjoyed the warm sun and sand for a couple of hours! It was hard leaving for home after that trip. Read more in my log by clicking here.

My favorite DNF so far did not involve a harrowing adventure, nor did it bring me to a stunning scenic location.

Palatka Park Shelter has 40 DNF's and 1 find. There was even an event held for the purpose of folks finding it, with nothing but DNF's. My first attempt was 5 hours, my next attempt was 3 hours. The owner confirmed it was within a pavillion at ground zero, and has verified on numerous occasions that it is still there. During my 5 hour hunt, the owner showed up with pizza as a consolation prize. I will most assuredly be back.

I love geocaching while on business travel! This past February I had the extreme fortune of leaving chchchchilly Maryland behind for a few days on a trip to Panama City Beach, Florida. One day, we finished up work around mid morning so I had the entire afternoon for exploring/caching! One of the caches I'd flagged was a simple micro stuck to a metal sign but after a long search it was obviously missing. The sign was for a public access entrance to the beach so I just took my lunch and enjoyed the warm sun and sand for a couple of hours! It was hard leaving for home after that trip. Read more in my log by clicking here.

One of my kids lives in PCB and goes to college there. I've been caching there and must agree that it is a lovely area to visit. (And it's only 90 miles from my home!)

And my favorite DNF was my family's very first search. We went the wrong way into a park, bushwacked (and I mean BUSHWACKED!) about half mile, waded througha stream, only to come upon a nice trail with benches and a small waterfall. We ended up having to go back the way we came, and we laughed and played the whole way. It turns out the cache was actually missing, but that started my youngest son on wanting to forge rivers and streams on every cache hunt. It was the nicest hunt ever, but thank goodness I finally figured out how to enter coordinates into the GPS!

This cache on one of Florida's few totally wild and undeveloped spring runs. Not too tough of a paddle, though the amount of hurricane deadfall makes it one long dodge and duck. A fabulous place that I had read about, but probably wouldn't have motivated myself to try without the cache (*cache usedto be - before the hurricanes). It's on my favorites

list. It really hardly matters that the cache itself is gone. Putting something in is "kinda" on my to do list. In a way, I prefer it as a cache for the journey and not the smiley. The "new" virtual.

My favorite DNF so far did not involve a harrowing adventure, nor did it bring me to a stunning scenic location.

Palatka Park Shelter has 40 DNF's and 1 find. There was even an event held for the purpose of folks finding it, with nothing but DNF's. My first attempt was 5 hours, my next attempt was 3 hours. The owner confirmed it was within a pavillion at ground zero, and has verified on numerous occasions that it is still there. During my 5 hour hunt, the owner showed up with pizza as a consolation prize. I will most assuredly be back.

If this is the one I think it is, I saw a video about it on youtube or putfile or one of those sites. The video was pulled very shortly after I watched it, so I cant confirm. But if it was, I know where the cache is!!! :):mad::)

I know where the cache is!!!

Dude, you're killing me! :anitongue:

You think I am joking??? I really wish I could comfirm that the one in the video was the same one you all are talking about....it sure sounds like it!! I know I was LMAO while watching the video.... a known FTF hound was trying to find it....looking all over... completely stumped. The person behind the camera (the hider) zoomed in on the cache (in plain veiw from where they were standing) while the "hound" was still looking....just a few feet away.

You think I am joking?

Oh no, not at all. That's what's killing me. You're in California and you've probably seen the cache that I've spent 16 hours, (driving time included), searching for. During our pizza break, the owner told us that, during our hunt, all three of us had our hands within inches of the cache, if not actually touching it. No Hints! Unless a freak bolt of lightning burns down that pavillion, I will find that bugger. :anitongue:

You think I am joking?

Oh no, not at all. That's what's killing me. You're in California and you've probably seen the cache that I've spent 16 hours, (driving time included), searching for. During our pizza break, the owner told us that, during our hunt, all three of us had our hands within inches of the cache, if not actually touching it. No Hints! Unless a freak bolt of lightning burns down that pavillion, I will find that bugger. :anitongue:

LOL I just wish I could confirm that it was the same cache. I tried to look at the satellite veiw of the map for the pavillion to see if it looks the same and I really cant tell.....

This log from my unsuccessful attempt to find the now archived Great Wall Treasure at Simatai (GC1CE0) cache represented a memorable outing because of its exotic and remote location. It was a place well worth visiting, and the prospect of being FTF was enough added incentive to convince me to go for it.

But this story about my adventure searching for the now archived Kaplaarzen cache (GC12DB) was every bit as significant because it is where I had my epiphany.

The record shows frownies, but the experiences were pure :laughing: