ways that geocaching is like a religion

Bad_CRC

was thinking about this the other day as I was prostelitizing about geocaching yet again to another friend of mine.

let's see...

it's often practiced on saturdays or sundays

those who practice it depend upon guidance from above ...and are lost without it.

Many are followers of someone who's name starts with... "J-E-"

a book plays a central role in the practice.

Though you get something from it, you are also asked to leave an offering before you go home.

It takes some people longer than others to find what they are looking for.

people who practice it feel sorry for those who don't, and wish they just knew what they were missing.

some followers stick a symbol on the back of their car.

It can be practiced alone, as a family, or in large organized events

You can't see what's up above, but if you don't trust where it's leading you, you'll stay lost.

got any more?

Many followers have a certain way to dress before practicing caching.

They carry certain holy relics marked with dog tags lovenly from cache to cache.

You try to clean up the world as you travel across the land.

In deep valleys of the "shadow of death" you lift your GPS high and pray to Signal for guidance. :)

You risk your life and limb in unknown lands and foreign countries in search of your next ammo can holy grail.

You are often seen walking with a staff like Moses.

Demons in the form of Ticks, Thorns, and Poison Plants surround your every move.

You embrace a life of poverty as you pursue your religious conviction of finding your next cache and buying your next bag of swag.

The National Park Service Inquisition hunts Geocache Heretic Relics and throws them into the incinerator.

When you are caching, you REALLY FEEL AT PEACE, AND CLOSER TO THE CREATOR. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ride The Heights

The debates about the right path to your final destination.

I was trying to find a way to compare how different flavors of religion are like the followers of garmin and magellan who each think their path is the true one, even though they all follow the same satellites.

Couldn't come up with good wording for it though. :)

Many people enjoy practicing in their own way.

Some purists are more concerned with the rituals and dogma than reaching the final destination.

There are always those who need to feel they are better at practicing than you are.

It never hurts to say a little prayer before you begin.

The numbers hounds that will do anything for a stat remind me of some kind of a bizarre cult.

They move swiftly from this lightpole to the next guardrail to leave their initials on a scroll of soggy paper in the sacred magneto-microscraps left by other cultists that frequent these shrines. They make these "numbers runs" alone or in trains of motor vehicles known as "machines". They have also been known to gather together for religious festivals called "events" where they sign a great many scraps of these scrolls of paper that were brought to be sacrificed. It appears to be some kind of a penance ritual but it is not. It is believed that they will gain the indulgence of some unseen internet entity and receive happiness in the form of "smiles" when these deeds are reported to the high priests of Groundspeak.

I don't get it and I have been called a heretic and worse for speaking this blashphemy. The true believers have made me an outcast by sending the inquisition after me. I think that I am probably doomed to excommunication but I'm holding out hope that a cure will be found for their obsessive-compulsive disorder.

If you see THEM passing out purple kool-aid at the next Geowoodstock, don't drink it!