Paperless Caching for Newbies

darylt

I am having a little problem with this paperless caching lark.

I am running an Axim X30 with CacheMate installed on a memory card, I have solved the problem that the gpx file needs to be loaded onto the card and not in My docs as mentioned in the FAQ. :)

I have paid for the Premium membership for GC as I am told that gpx files hold more info than a loc....

....when I eventually figure out how to import the file I can see no difference, I get the name, GC code, the coordinates and possibly a note. I dont get any other info viewable with regard to clues or instructions....

...maybe I have done something wrong? :ph34r:

I tried doing a search from my home location (on GC.com) which went well, I selected the items to download, however it will only allow me to do this in loc - I don't want loc I want gpx with all this extra info that they are supposed to hold! :)

Also with cache mate I click to import the gpx file, it then takes me to a different screen (that the faq dosent explain) about choosing a data base...... :unsure:

Can someone please help out a newbie so that he can go caching without a small rainforest of printouts?? :huh:

Cachemate allows you to have different sets of caches stored in different databases, that is why you are asked which database to import into.

check here, there is a section on multiple databases.

Cachemate Documentation (different from FAQ)

I have the Palm version, I don't know know how different the PPC version is, but just create a database, name it anything you want, and import into it. I thought that it installed with a default database though.

Hello fellow geocacher and Axim X30 owner! I stumbled across a program called BeeLineGPS and have to say it's the handiest thing ever for paperless caching. Once you import the GPX from the pocket query, you're ready to go. No internet needed to view the cache information, it's all stored in the GPX file. I log everything once I get back to the car and then post the information when I get back home. Fun stuff! Here's a link to the software:

http://www.visualgps.net/BeeLineGPS/default.htm

So, I understand the PDA idea now. Sounds great, but I never see it talked about where you link the PDA to the GPS unit and send files over. Is this not done? Then I assume the coordinates are keyed in by hand? I have a Magellan GPS with a USB interface.

For the most part, you don't actually 'link' your GPS to your PDA. There are some devices that allow it via Bluetooth, but I am somewhat dubious of the usefulness of doing so.

Going paperless actually has two facets. First, there is loading a large set of coordinates on your GPSr with your computer, so that you don't have to enter them by hand; and carrying the equivalent of cache listings printouts in your PDA.

The first step is to become a premium member. You probably don't really need to do this, but it gives you access to more capabilities (pocket queries) and at $3 a month - the equivalent to a couple cans of pop - I consider it so close to free as makes no difference.

You'll also need some third party software. There are free programs available that will get the job done, but I don't know what they are. I use Cachemate and GSAK, so that's what I'm familiar with. Both have free trials, so you can decide if they meet your needs. If you like them, Cachemate (which runs on your Palm or PocketPC handheld) costs a whopping eight dollars - about the same as a movie, and ultimately a lot more satisfying. GSAK, after a certain amount of time, starts displaying a nag screen asking you to register. Registration is $20. However, if you don't mind the nag screen you may continue to use it without registering. I use GSAK several times a day and I consider it well worth the $20.

Where was I going with all this? Oh, yeah, I remember.

Paperless, part 1 - loading the GPSr. I run a couple of pocket queries for my local area, which results in over a thousand cache listings. I import the data from these pocket queries into GSAK (a very simple procedure). Since my GPSr can only hold 1000 waypoints, I use GSAK's filtering capabilities to narrow down the list a bit. Maybe I'm searching east of my house today, so I only want caches in that direction, and so on. GSAK is able to send the waypoint list directly to my GPSr via USB. Viola, my GPSr is loaded with more waypoints than I could shake a stick at.

Paperless, part 2 - loading the PDA. I use a Palm brand PDA, with Cachemate. Unlike on my GPSr, I don't have a 1000 waypoint limit on my Palm - I can load as many entries as the memory can handle. Once again, GSAK does the grunt work for me. I select a menu item in GSAK to create the Cachemate data file, and it does it, even setting the file to by sent to my Palm the next time I hotsync. Sync my Palm as I normally would, and my Cachemate database is up to date and ready to go.

Sometimes I set out with a specific goal in mind (today, I'm doing every cache in this park if it kills me!) and sometimes I'm just rambling around. With almost a thousand waypoints loaded on my GPSr, and every cache in a 30 mile radius of my house listed in my Palm, odds are I can find a cache any time I want.

I have paid for the Premium membership for GC as I am told that gpx files hold more info than a loc....

....when I eventually figure out how to import the file I can see no difference, I get the name, GC code, the coordinates and possibly a note. I dont get any other info viewable with regard to clues or instructions....

Are you having the gpx pocket queries emailed to you??

You can check what PQs you have and when they're supposed to be be run at:

http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/

Or are you having problems viewing the info on cachemate :anitongue:

So, I understand the PDA idea now. Sounds great, but I never see it talked about where you link the PDA to the GPS unit and send files over. Is this not done? Then I assume the coordinates are keyed in by hand? I have a Magellan GPS with a USB interface.

For the most part, you don't actually 'link' your GPS to your PDA. There are some devices that allow it via Bluetooth, but I am somewhat dubious of the usefulness of doing so.

Going paperless actually has two facets. First, there is loading a large set of coordinates on your GPSr with your computer, so that you don't have to enter them by hand; and carrying the equivalent of cache listings printouts in your PDA.

The first step is to become a premium member. You probably don't really need to do this, but it gives you access to more capabilities (pocket queries) and at $3 a month - the equivalent to a couple cans of pop - I consider it so close to free as makes no difference.

You'll also need some third party software. There are free programs available that will get the job done, but I don't know what they are. I use Cachemate and GSAK, so that's what I'm familiar with. Both have free trials, so you can decide if they meet your needs. If you like them, Cachemate (which runs on your Palm or PocketPC handheld) costs a whopping eight dollars - about the same as a movie, and ultimately a lot more satisfying. GSAK, after a certain amount of time, starts displaying a nag screen asking you to register. Registration is $20. However, if you don't mind the nag screen you may continue to use it without registering. I use GSAK several times a day and I consider it well worth the $20.

Where was I going with all this? Oh, yeah, I remember.

Paperless, part 1 - loading the GPSr. I run a couple of pocket queries for my local area, which results in over a thousand cache listings. I import the data from these pocket queries into GSAK (a very simple procedure). Since my GPSr can only hold 1000 waypoints, I use GSAK's filtering capabilities to narrow down the list a bit. Maybe I'm searching east of my house today, so I only want caches in that direction, and so on. GSAK is able to send the waypoint list directly to my GPSr via USB. Viola, my GPSr is loaded with more waypoints than I could shake a stick at.

Paperless, part 2 - loading the PDA. I use a Palm brand PDA, with Cachemate. Unlike on my GPSr, I don't have a 1000 waypoint limit on my Palm - I can load as many entries as the memory can handle. Once again, GSAK does the grunt work for me. I select a menu item in GSAK to create the Cachemate data file, and it does it, even setting the file to by sent to my Palm the next time I hotsync. Sync my Palm as I normally would, and my Cachemate database is up to date and ready to go.

Sometimes I set out with a specific goal in mind (today, I'm doing every cache in this park if it kills me!) and sometimes I'm just rambling around. With almost a thousand waypoints loaded on my GPSr, and every cache in a 30 mile radius of my house listed in my Palm, odds are I can find a cache any time I want.

Ahhh, I see. That makes sense. Thanks. If you cache hunt as well as you explain things, you must be quite good.

Either the file is in LOC format, or you used a program like EasyGPS (which strips out all of the extra info) in trying to put several GPX files together. If you want a GPX file with multiple caches in it, use a pocket query.

Incidentally, CacheMate doesn't require the GPX file to be on a memory card... which FAQ did you pick that up from?

What model Palm do you use? I will do some forum searching before I hit e-bay. I would like to have USB, but other than that, it can be pretty simple.

I was a Palm user before I ever discovered Geocaching, and so I've got one of the higher end models - the T|X. It's a great device, but probably not the best choice for geocaching. That is, it does the job (and many others) perfectly well, but you might not want to expose an expensive model to all the things that can happen when geocaching - dropping, bad weather, submersion, squirrel attacks, etc.

Pretty much any Palm device will run Cachemate just fine, and the monochrome models might be easiest to read in bright sunlight.