Installed Vehicle Navigation Package

Geo-Dora

:blink: Does anybody have any information on the installed GPS “Nav Package” now being installed in some Nissan (and probably other) vehicles? I am interested in what exactly it is. Can I upload / change maps, is the package upgradeable, how many waypoints can I store, is it a monthly pay service, or an installed program etc. The salesman didn’t have very much in the way of product info on it. Here is a picture of it.

Nissan page

:blink: Does anybody have any information on the installed GPS “Nav Package” now being installed in some Nissan (and probably other) vehicles? I am interested in what exactly it is. Can I upload / change maps, is the package upgradeable, how many waypoints can I store, is it a monthly pay service, or an installed program etc. The salesman didn’t have very much in the way of product info on it. Here is a picture of it.

Nissan page

Most In-car GPS systems are similar to the car units available from Garmin and others. The maps are usually not changeable, but they are usually periodically updated with a CD or DVD that you purchase from you dealer. They may or may not allow for the storage of waypoints, and if they do it is probably not Lat/Lon, but rather by address or map search. There is not a monthly service charge that I am aware of. These units are really designed as driving navigators. IMO, they are somewhat expensive, but it may be worth it to have a unit that is part of vehicle rather than an aftermarket mount.

Nissan page

A google search turned up a link to the operation manual. I'm not sure whether a 280 page manual for a gps is good or bad. :huh:

In scanning the manual, I came across the name of Zenrin. They appear to be a Japanese firm that contract with Nissan to provide the system...or, at least, the maps. I suppose if you read the manual you can get a sense of the system's capabilities. My *very* preliminary impression is favorable, although it probably costs twice as much as a pretty nice Garmin auto unit.

I know some car dealers. The specifcially tell customer to never buy the navigation system. They are overpriced and difficult/expensive to get upgraded mapping. A portable unit from a known GPS maker is much cheaper, convenient and easier to upgrade.

Not to mention, when you travel and are in a rental car, you can still have the nav capabilities - when you're most likely to need it (in a new city).

And in vehicle GPS units have a high ratio of being stolen lately, there was a new article a bit ago (Late Sept, early Oct I think) that thieves are targetting vehicles with the built in gps's. (shrugs) I guess while they rip off your sound system they rip that out too.

Unless ya got one of those removable face plate systems.

Me, I got my basic stock ford sound system with built in cd & thats all I ever need along with my handheld Garmin V, if I need more I hook up my laptop with its delorme or hook into my V & us mapsource.

But thats just me, YOMD :tired: