It's Not About the Numbers!

Currently, you can click on the column headers to sort by that stat.

Thanks...I didn't even notice you could do that with the headers. Guess I missed that blurb. Do you think we can get a column there for uniques? I also think another useful feature to add would be a link to the person's profile at gc.com.

BTW, thank you again for putting this together. I would have gladly paid more for the premium membership if I got stats and graphs like this provides.

Edited by ThePropers

This is very cool! I downloaded my query and perused the site, I like it a lot. There is one thing I don't understand though. It's this:

Approximate cache-to-cache distance: 2796.8 miles (4501.01 kilometres) (Excludes locationless and known traveling caches)

What is that tracking? Did I encounter a hiccup or am I just misinterpreting the information?

It means that if you were to travel from cache to cache for all your finds, that's how far you'd travel. (Approximately.)

Well, I do have a few difulgaties. Markwell's Photographer's Caches. Which probably count as moving caches. I've never been to Greece, but one of them ended up there when they were archived. A couple of moving caches, and an armchair cache in Germany. Other than that... Thanks. A great site!

That looks like the message i kept getting when i tried to upload using the AOL IE browser. AOL automatically unzips the file when it is downloaded and even though it leaves the zip file intact, i thought that this was somehow causing the problem. I finally tried downloading straight from gmail using Outlook Express and it worked great.

But then again, a friend of mine got hers through AOL email then uploaded to the site using the AOL browser. Hers went through just fine. In otherwords, i have no idea what's going on! unsure.gif

Mudfrog, how do you mean "straight from gmail"? I use gmail as well, so you may have just the key I'm looking for...

Thanks,

skeg

That looks like the message i kept getting when i tried to upload using the AOL IE browser. AOL automatically unzips the file when it is downloaded and even though it leaves the zip file intact, i thought that this was somehow causing the problem. I finally tried downloading straight from gmail using Outlook Express and it worked great.

But then again, a friend of mine got hers through AOL email then uploaded to the site using the AOL browser. Hers went through just fine. In otherwords, i have no idea what's going on! unsure.gif

Mudfrog, how do you mean "straight from gmail"? I use gmail as well, so you may have just the key I'm looking for...

Thanks,

skeg

AOL was blocking mail from GC.com a couple of months ago so it was suggested that i get a gmail account to use for my geocaching email. I then found that i could set up gmail to automatically forward this mail to my AOL account. The "my finds" zip file i got though the AOL email was the one that gave me the error message when i tried to upload it. So, i decided to go straight to gmail and find the email so i could download the file from there. The zip file i downloaded there was the one i used for uploading and it worked fine. Also, i'm not positive but i think i used internet explorer to go to the site when i uploaded the file. In otherwords, i don't think i used any part of AOL at all for this task.

Approximate cache-to-cache distance: 331,935.45 miles (Excludes locationless and known traveling caches)

Is this right? I can think of about 40,000 miles in long caching trips, but that still leaves over 275,000 miles for 700 caches all within 100 miles of my house. the only traveling cache I've found is still within 400 miles of here

I see you have multiple finds out west. Did you get those all at once, or were they on multiple trips?

I got them on two trips, Mapsource said a total of about 20,000 miles. I also had about 5 trips to orlando, which would be another 10,000. The only way I could get that many miles is if locationless caches were in there.

Approximate cache-to-cache distance: 331,935.45 miles (Excludes locationless and known traveling caches)

Is this right? I can think of about 40,000 miles in long caching trips, but that still leaves over 275,000 miles for 700 caches all within 100 miles of my house. the only traveling cache I've found is still within 400 miles of here

I see you have multiple finds out west. Did you get those all at once, or were they on multiple trips?

I got them on two trips, Mapsource said a total of about 20,000 miles. I also had about 5 trips to orlando, which would be another 10,000. The only way I could get that many miles is if locationless caches were in there.

I think I figured out the problem. You'll have to re-upload your data to make it update, however.

As I make minor updates here and there, I've been noting them on the blog. I'm only posting here if I make a noteworthy update. Here's one:

The HTML exporting for your profile page has been completely redone. The HTML that you paste in has been constructed so whenever you upload a new My Finds PQ, the stats displayed in your profile will be updated automatically!

I've also added milestones, and state, province, and county totals and maps for the US, Canada, UK, Australia, and New Zealand.

Great work, thanks!

Can't imagine why anyone cares about someone else's numbers, but it's interesting to me to see where I have been!

Love the county maps!

Really like the auto-update function, manual maintenence is why I never liked keenpeople.com.

Ed

Like i've said before, i like looking at numbers. Mine are what's important to me but it's also fun to see other's on here too. I know geocaching is not a competition and i wouldn't ever try to judge a person on what they show since we all have our different ways of thinking. My way of thinking just happens to be the "1 cache = 1 find" way so the unique finds list is fun for me as it now makes any numbers i look at more of an apples to apples thing. Again, i'm not trying to tell anyone how to play, just stating that this is one of the reasons i like the site. :)

Thanks Cheeseheads for putting together a great site!

I like the unique find count. It should take the angst out for those who worry about other folks numbers!

Anyone who so chooses can look at mine and see that I have a couple hundred multiple logs, for pocket caches and so on, and can accept the "unique finds" rather than the total finds as the actual number of found caches.

Whether you choose to accept my 109 pocket cache logs for one memorable event as kosher is now moot, as you can use the unigue finds count to see the "real" number.

Looks like a win for both sides.

Ed

I like the unique find count. It should take the angst out for those who worry about other folks numbers!

Anyone who so chooses can look at mine and see that I have a couple hundred multiple logs, for pocket caches and so on, and can accept the "unique finds" rather than the total finds as the actual number of found caches.

Whether you choose to accept my 109 pocket cache logs for one memorable event as kosher is now moot, as you can use the unigue finds count to see the "real" number.

Looks like a win for both sides.

Ed

Kinda hate that there even has to be sides but thankfully that issue pretty much only rears it's head here in the forums. I agree with you, with the different options available, it's a great site for everyone to use! :surprise:

I just updated my stats and had a couple thoughts...

what about demographic comparisons?

A person could enter a couple tidbits of info on the upload page, like gender and year of birth, then the program could compare your info to other of the same age and/or gender.

Other ideas...

Marital Status?

# Kids?

# Kids at home?

Home (state/province/country).