Micro-Haters Unite?

My first comment, if you don't like these types of events, don't search for them or put them on your ignore list. Just because you don't like a certain type of event hide, don't limit them for those of us who enjoy JUST this type of "cache".

Wise words that should go to both sides of this non-issue.

If you don't like certain types of events, don't go to them.

If you don't like certain types of caches, don't look for them.

Everyone should just play this game as they like (within the guidelines, of course) and let others do the same.

Even though I'm a noob, it seems like a pretty simple concept to me. Less than a week here and already this topic is growing old.

My first comment, if you don't like these types of events, don't search for them or put them on your ignore list. Just because you don't like a certain type of event hide, don't limit them for those of us who enjoy JUST this type of "cache".

Wise words that should go to both sides of this non-issue.

If you don't like certain types of events, don't go to them.

If you don't like certain types of caches, don't look for them.

Everyone should just play this game as they like (within the guidelines, of course) and let others do the same.

Even though I'm a noob, it seems like a pretty simple concept to me. Less than a week here and already this topic is growing old.

So if it's growing old, if you don't like the threads, don't read them. :D

By the way, almost no one "hates" micros. They are only labeled that by people that hold their fingers in their ears while saying "nah nah nah nah nah" over and over, without even considering any of their opinions. Over 20% of my finds are micros.

But holy cow!! Considering the very moderate popularity of WWFM events, the TRIGO creators of the micro event were highly innovative, and way ahead of their time. Trailblazers even. :D

By the way, almost no one "hates" micros.

Exactly. Don't be fooled by misapplied labels. Several times a year, you'll see threads pop up in here that deride uninspired hides. By some quirky coincidence, these are usually micros. (Think film canister tossed behind a Burger King dumpster) There are some folks who feel that these lame hides actually have a long term, negative impact on the overall game. The other side, (oft refered to as the Staunch Defenders Of Everything Lame, or "SDOEL") discovered a need for obfuscation in their arguments, and therefor, opted to label those folks who were critical of lame hides as being haters of micros, utterly ignoring the fact that every single poster mentioning their general dislike of lameness specified that they enjoyed cleverly hidden micros.

Exactly. Don't be fooled by misapplied labels. Several times a year, you'll see threads pop up in here that deride uninspired hides. By some quirky coincidence, these are usually micros. (Think film canister tossed behind a Burger King dumpster) There are some folks who feel that these lame hides actually have a long term, negative impact on the overall game. The other side, (oft refered to as the Staunch Defenders Of Everything Lame, or "SDOEL") discovered a need for obfuscation in their arguments, and therefor, opted to label those folks who were critical of lame hides as being haters of micros, utterly ignoring the fact that every single poster mentioning their general dislike of lameness specified that they enjoyed cleverly hidden micros.

So what you're saying is that we "Staunch Defenders Of Everything Lame" not only believe, but also regularly state, that ALL people who dislike so-called "lame" caches also happen to dislike all micros?

That's an interesting claim. Can you document it?

I doubt you can -- because it's not true. I'll check back, though, and see what links you are able to come up with.

So what you're saying is that we "Staunch Defenders Of Everything Lame" not only believe, but also regularly state, that ALL people who dislike so-called "lame" caches also happen to dislike all micros?

I was wondering when the requisite KBI twist was gonna come into play. :blink:

Naw, I wasn't talking about KBI, his bro with the naked Rush guy, Sbell111 or Snoogans. Generally, you'll see forum non-regulars toss out the "micro haters" term. Or put militant lines like "micro haters stay away" on their cache descriptions. I don't have to give any links, do I? :blink:

I was wondering when the requisite KBI twist was gonna come into play. :blink:

Asking you if you could back up your wild claim by posting a quote or two is a "twist?"

Nevermind. I think you just answered my question. :blink:

That's an interesting claim. Can you document it?

I doubt you can -- because it's not true. I'll check back, though, and see what links you are able to come up with.

I think that what might be closer to the truth (and maybe what CR was trying to get at) is that the SDOEL benefit from the misconception that all of those who are complaining about the lame "Film Can behind the Dumpster" type hides dislike all micros. This probably stems from the unfortunate fact that most of the threads on the topic are titled "Micros are Lame","I Hate Micros" or in the case of this thread "Micro-Haters Unite." When you open the thread, there is typically more to it than just hating a size of container. This thread, for example, was opened (by a SDOEL) to talk about 2 events parodying as Micro-Events.

I have a theory, by the way, on a reason behind Riffster's observation that most lame hides tend to be micros. You can carry a ton of micros in your pack and toss them out wherever you want. If you are going to put out something larger, you may have a cache in your pack, but you quite possibly have to go home to get the container. You have all the way home and all the way back to refine what it is you are going to do with the cache as far as the hide itself, camo, hints, theme, etc. You might even decide to not bother. If all you have to do is reach and toss, there is less thought behind the cache, and even if you start thinking about not bothering once it is in place, the deed is done. Which is easier, listing the micro you now realize is lame, or just putting together a listing on the website?

Anyways, since this thread was started to discuss the events, none of this is really all that on topic, is it? :blink:

Edited by Too Tall John

Isn't there enough angst already in the forums? Why dig up dusty old angsty threads from 2006?

Angst? What Angst? When it was just reported today that the two posters above you went out caching together a few days ago? That's freaking beautiful, man. BTW, KBI, if you ever fly into Buffalo, I'm busy that weekend. :blink:

Oh, the thread bumper was just noting the similarities between "micro" events, which were invented in 2006, and WWFM events. I'm sure there was no intention of re-visiting angst. Watching people reply to old bumped threads is always funny though.

Isn't there enough angst already in the forums? Why dig up dusty old angsty threads from 2006?

Angst? What Angst? When it was just reported today that the two posters above you went out caching together a few days ago? That's freaking beautiful, man. BTW, KBI, if you ever fly into Buffalo, I'm busy that weekend. :laughing:

Not to worry. Our schedule preferences are assigned to us based on seniority, and I’ve been there log enough now that I usually get my first choice, which means I pretty much never have to put up with Buffalo anymore. :)

Angst? What Angst? When it was just reported today that the two posters above you went out caching together a few days ago? That's freaking beautiful, man. BTW, KBI, if you ever fly into Buffalo, I'm busy that weekend. :laughing:

Not to worry. Our schedule preferences are assigned to us based on seniority, and I’ve been there log enough now that I usually get my first choice, which means I pretty much never have to put up with Buffalo anymore. :)

How does that explain 'R.O.N. @ CRW'? Better at-home days?

I think that what might be closer to the truth (and maybe what CR was trying to get at) is that the SDOEL benefit from the misconception that all of those who are complaining about the lame "Film Can behind the Dumpster" type hides dislike all micros. This probably stems from the unfortunate fact that most of the threads on the topic are titled "Micros are Lame","I Hate Micros" or in the case of this thread "Micro-Haters Unite." When you open the thread, there is typically more to it than just hating a size of container. This thread, for example, was opened (by a SDOEL) to talk about 2 events parodying as Micro-Events.

If that’s what Clan Riffster meant to say, then maybe that’s what Clan Riffster should have said.

But that’s not what he said. What he posted was an untrue claim regarding the positions of those with whom he tends to disagree.

Rather than taking the opportunity to promote his own argument he chose instead to attack others using a fallacy of his own.

For example, he could have supported the other claim he made in his post. He could have explained exactly HOW "lame hides actually have a long term, negative impact on the overall game." That is a claim that gets trotted out every time this topic comes up, but nobody ever produces any convincing arguments, evidence, or other substantiation.

Instead he chose to make an untrue claim regarding the statements of those with whom he disagrees. Either (1) he is confused, (2) he has grossly misinterpreted the arguments that have been posted in defense of lameness, or (3) his goal is to intentionally obfuscate the issue (which would be ironic, considering that is exactly what he was accusing others of doing).

Either way, I gave him an opportunity to clarify his intent, and to back up his claim.

He declined.

In choosing to ignore my implied question, he answered it anyway. I rest my case. :laughing:

Charleston, WV is actually one of the more popular overnights among our crews, and for a variety of reasons. Buffalo is one of the least popular -- and for just as many reasons.

There are some towns I will go out of my way to visit, and there are others I do my best to avoid -- even if it means fewer days off. Seniority helps. At my company Buffalo tends to "go junior."

Charleston, WV is actually one of the more popular overnights among our crews, and for a variety of reasons. Buffalo is one of the least popular -- and for just as many reasons.

There are some towns I will go out of my way to visit, and there are others I do my best to avoid -- even if it means fewer days off. Seniority helps. At my company Buffalo tends to "go junior."

Ha. No wonder SBell111 left. :) Hopefully this is just airport related, or area near the airport related (not much to do).

Ha. No wonder SBell111 left. :) Hopefully this is just airport related, or area near the airport related (not much to do).

That covers a few of the reasons.

That covers a few of the reasons.

Oh, you don't have to be nice. We are well aware that Buffalo is the armpit of America. People do universally seem to want to tell us they can't believe how "clean" it is, whatever that means. But I will PM you, as this is really about micro haters uniting. :)

Oh, you don't have to be nice. We are well aware that Buffalo is the armpit of America. People do universally seem to want to tell us they can't believe how "clean" it is, whatever that means. But I will PM you, as this is really about micro haters uniting. :)

I agree, this is way off topic.

No need to be bother with the defensive stuff anyway. My tongue-in-cheek comment about Buffalo was exactly as cheeky as your tongue-in-cheek comment about not wanting to accept a free beer from KBI. :laughing:

Did he just call me old?

not sure but this quite an old thread. two years later not much different. this group still has events-some that push buttons. if you're from the area then you'll know the annimosity that exists. what appears at face value to be poking fun is much more around these parts. all I can say is carma-what comes around goes around!! may already be happening and they don't know it!!!