DNF milestone dilemma

At last count there are 326402 active caches worldwide.

I have only found 383.

I just looked out the window.

I wanted to try to catch a glimpse of any cache I haven't logged as found.

I didn't see any of the remaining 326019 caches.

I Did Not Find any of them.

I may be a bit behind on logging my DNFs, but -- I'm winning!

I now have 326019 more DNFs!

Wait a second -- I just glanced out the window again.

Still no luck.

Hey ... that's more than 652038 DNFs now!

(I'll pause while the rest of you catch up. It's not about the numbers.)

This

has

been

brought

to

you

by

our

sponsor,

the

carriage return.

Found on the net:

"Kittens have nine lives. This makes them ideal for experimentation." :(

Does Team Perks know about this? :(

Looking at their avatar, I think that is a yes.

65feadeb-7ca5-4a97-a43b-90ed1e0abafc.jpg

With the extra eye, you would think there would be fewer DNF's though.

Third eye, bah. My cat can read (with only two eyes!) :P

<<< see avatar

Oh, the topic: DNFs, got 'em. Lots. All kinds. Especially 1/1s. Always looking for more. Just let me know where to get the milestone coins. :P

Edited by hydnsek
Some cachers have been documented to log a "find" because (in their own words) they "confirmed (they) were in the right area" even though they never actually put their hands on the cache.

So, if I confirm that I'm nowhere near the right area -- even hundreds, or thousands, of miles away -- can I log a DNF?

~The Slimy One brings up a good point. However, what if you are in the right area and can see the cache, but simply can't get to it because of your physical shortcomings?~

~If the cache is just beyond the reach of my fingers and no amount of prodding with a trekking pole will dislodge it, is it technically a DNF?~

~Inquiring tildes want to know.~

¶You can't tie or duct-tape a Sharpie to the end of your trekking pole so you can sign the container?

¶Sounds like you're just being a slacker, Crow. :P

¶If that's the case, you don't deserve the DNF.

¶I'll see your ~ and raise you a ¶, which, interestingly enough, is called a pilcrow.

^^^ You can't write on a wet Mountain Dew can with anything! ^^^

^^^ This is Washington you're talking about. It's wet out here. ^^^

^^^ If I am technically prohibited from finding my own hides, ^^^

^^^^^ doesn't it follow logically that they are defacto DNFs? ^^^^^

ppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

(This post brought to you by p's and carets.)

Pay no attention to the cat and the vial of cyanide in the box with you.

"Schrodingers cache" sounds like a good idea, but the superimposition of cyanide is in breach of the contraband guidelines. Besides according to Heisenberg you can never be certain you really found the cache anyway.

I'm somewhat concerned about anyone who would want to be shredding her cat in a cache!

I guess it would be a food source for the hamsters, though. I am a bit uncertain about the applicability of Heisenberg's Law.

This message borught to you by Purina Hamster Chow.

A few comments from a tappole...

1. I have come to the conclusion that you are all insane!

2. I think I am too 'cause I love this discussion! :laughing:

3. I want a coin like that too (a DNF one) - but it needs a bogus tracking number / bogus icon / bogus something to make it not log like you think it should! :laughing:

4. I think I saw a DNF coin on e-bay, being sold for a charity or something.

Skisidedown.

Wow. A DNF competition.

Now, not only am I failing when I'm not finding caches, I'm also failing when I'm not not finding caches.

What does it mean, then, when I'm out there not not not finding caches? Does a negative DNF count as a ... find? :D

What does it mean, then, when I'm out there not not not finding caches? Does a negative DNF count as a ... find? :D

You are assessed a penalty. You must surrender your GPS to your nearest reviewer.

That would be me in this case. :D

Nice try, but I just checked the rulebook. It counts as an 'inverse-negative double reverse anti-nonsmilie.'

Plus, I get to claim a FTNNNF! :D

Wow. A DNF competition.

Now, not only am I failing when I'm not finding caches, I'm also failing when I'm not not finding caches.

The last time someone asked that question, Atlantis sank. NEVER ASK!

Wow. A DNF competition.

At the next GGA meeting I'm going to walk around and ask people for all the "Pocket Caches" they've brought with them. I'll DNF all the caches that aren't at the meeting.

Isn't this the point in the thread where we start debating the appropriateness of Additional DNF-Logging Requirements (ADNFLRs)?

So you want to have a cache that you can find, but if you try and log a DNF you must also post a picture of yourself with the logbook in hand?

Oh wait, you're one of those poem people. Maybe people can log finds with a poem, and DNFs with a non-poem, or else you'll delete the log.