Guys, I REALLY NEED Help Here. Recommendation.....

Greetings guys!

I hope everyone here doesn't mind an avid hunter and outdoorsman dropping in to say hello! Just to let you guys know, I'm about to purchase a GPS either tonight or tomorrow, as I need it SOON.

Main purpose of this GPS will be for hunting, but I will gradually begin to use it on the highway too, and I even would like (with your guys help!) to get involved in Geocaching!

First off, let me say that I will FIRST be using it for hunting in the wilderness, to keep from getting lost, and also to get me to and from certain points in the woods.

I want a quality unit to start out with, something that I will want to keep for a while, and NOT something that I will want to sell, just because I want to upgrade, because I didn't buy something nice to begin with.

Got it fellas?

SO,

My TWO choices (based on reading opinions over on my hunting forums), have been the Garmin 60CSX, and the Lowrance IFinder Hunt C (Color). I was thinking of the Lowrance IFinder Hunt C "PLUS", which apparently is the upgraded version of the Hunt C, only with the Mapping software I guess?

Can anyone tell me IF I buy the Hunt C, and then LATER ON, wished I would have bought the "PLUS" model, can I THEN go out and buy some software or other items, to upgrade???? Is this possible, OR is this a case where the "PLUS" model, with all the mapping software, has some internal components, which must be purchased up front, and cannot be upgraded to????

Please forgive me guys, I know nothing about mapping software/etc.

Anyhow, I am a total newbie, but a fast learner, and I want to know WHICH one of the above GPS models are the better unit???

I did some research on this forum, and I have read little on the IFinder Hunt, and I've read a lot on the Garmin. I did read a few posts about the 60CSX having trouble with the magnetic compass. Should I expect problems guys? I sure hope not, because for the money that the 60CSX costs, I have to expect NO problems for the most part!

I know a lot of you more experienced guys, say you don't like to use a magnetic compass, but even though I have NO experience with a GPS, I KNOW that most of the guys on the hunting forums, say the magnetic compass is a MUST for them, and I'm sure it's partly because they don't have the skills some of you pros on this forum have.

SO, I definitely want my magnetic compass in my GPS to work well.

Can ANYONE here tell me straight up, WHICH of the above to GPS, would you choose? I mean, is EITHER ONE, going to be THAT much of a better choice than the other?????? OR, will they both be about the same quality?

Let me also say, that having the capabillity to hook up to satellites in the deep woods, with possible tree cover, is a PLUS, and I WANT my GPS to work under deep tree cover, IF at all possible. I realize it's not always possible, but I did seem to read a lot of guys saying their 60CSX worked great under tree cover. Again, I realize it's not 100% guaranteed, but the better my chances, the better off I am.

Thanks for ANY (and I mean ANY!) opinions, and help you guys can give me fellas! I will feel MUCH better about purchasing EITHER one of these units, if some of you will just chime in and help me make a decision. I realize OTHER people can't make the decision for me, and can't KNOW exactly which GPS is always right for me, but since I'm a newbie, I will listen to your advice, and make the best educated decision I can.....

Crossing my fingers, and hoping to hear back from you guy!!!

either gps would serve your needs very well. lowrance and garmin both make great units. based on something you said though

but I will gradually begin to use it on the highway too
leads me to recommend garmin - lowrance's Hunt C units do not do turn by turn road navigation (at least at present). this may mean that you'll be upgrading sooner than you think - but this is only if you decide that road navigation is important to you. if not, i'm the first guy to say that "bang for your buck" it's hard to beat lowrance's products.

you could just get the 60cx (without ecompass) and buy yourself a separate magnetic compass - if your gps fails and you have no other means to navigate, well, that's just not good. if you want to spend the bucks on the csx i'd still recommend you take along a separate compass just in case.

Both are excellent units but if you plan to use the unit on the highway, that pretty much rules out the Lowrance. Their handhelds don't autoroute.

Most mapping GPS units come with base maps, which are so basic they are practically useless. They show only major roads and highways. If you want detailed maps you need to buy mapping software. Lowrance's mapping software is pretty good. Its a combination of topo and road maps, but as I mentioned earlier it doesn't do autorouting which is a crucial feature for automobile navigation.

Garmin's mapping software is excellent, but they have separate map packages for road navigation and topo, so its more expensive than the Lowrance because if you want both you have to spring for two map packages. But the Garmin road mapping software (City Navigator) does autoroute. It will give you turn by turn directions to any location or address. City Navigator also has a database of over 5 million businesses and services. If you want to know where the nearest gas station, hotel, post office, sporting goods store, hospital, restaurant (listed by cuisine), museum, park, boat rental, shopping mall, etc... are the GPS will tell you where they are and provide turn by turn directions there.

The difference between the Hunt and the Hunt Plus is that the plus comes with the mapping software included in the price, as well as a card reader (Lowrance doesn't use a computer cable to connect to a PC. Instead you put and take information directly from the memory card.

Both units will get great reception under trees.

The compass in the 60CSX has generated a few complaints, but its generally that it needs to be recalibrated frequently and that you need to hold the unit level for it to work right. Neither should be a deal breaker. A magnetic compass is not really a necessity in my mind. All handhelds units have a compass, the only difference is that the magnetic compass works when you are standing still. Without the magnetic compass you have to be moving for the compass to work. A $10 handheld works better and you should have one along anyway, because you never know if your unit will conk out.

Between the two units, the Hunt C Plus is the better bang for the buck, but the 60CSX is the better all around unit. If you have the bucks I'd say go for the Garmin. Once you start using it on the highway you won't imagine how you ever got along without it.

If you are on a budget the Hunt C Plus is a very good choice, but if one day one of your hunting companions shows up with a shiny, new 60CSX you might be a little jealous when you see what it can do.

Edited by briansnat

Hey briansnat,

GREAT explanation bro! That is the kind of reply I needed to help me decide! That you also Vlad!

I have a couple more concerns, and then I'll know for sure which is right for me.

First off, would either unit be easier to learn (considerably?), or are they both going to be about the same? I'm strictly talking about learning to find my deer stand in the woods, and plotting trails and waypoints to and from camp to these deer stands... I'm not worried about how hard it is to autoroute yet.

Secondly, I hear Lowrance just got bought out from another company. Would this possibly be affecting their company negatively, or would anyone know that yet?

Finally, would there be a best place to purchase the Lowrance?

I think I found the Garmin 60CSX for $320 or so, from these folks. The $320 price tag, only comes after a $50 rebate. I assume you gents already know about this deal eh? IF there happens to be a BETTER deal out there, by all means, let me know about it guys. I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these units tomorrow. I just need to find the cheapest place for the Lowrance IFinder Hunt C first though..! A couple of Ebay dealers I contacted, said they were out of stock on the Lowrance, and did not know when any more would be in, since Lowrance was recently bought out by another company or something....

Here's the link to the cheapest 60CSX I've found...

http://www.gpsonsale.com/garmin/products/60csx.htm

Oh, BTW,

I see you said the Lowrance is best if I'm on a budget? Well, the Lowrance IFinder Hunt C (color model), is actually only $20 cheaper than the 60CSX, and that is ONLY if I can find someone on Ebay to sell the Lowrance to me for $300. There are many Ebay sellers that want MORE than $300, and the few that I contacted asking about a $300 Ifinder Hunt C, said they were out of stock.

SO, my point is, either YOU must know a cheaper place to buy the Lowrance, or I must be getting a heck of a deal on the 60CSX above, and just don't know it????

Edited by Paul Cataldo

I hear Lowrance just got bought out from another company. Would this possibly be affecting their company negatively, or would anyone know that yet?

Lowrance was bought by Simrad Yachting. Lowrance is in fine shape as far as I know.

One suggestion, I would not recommend the Hunt C, get an Expedition C. It is a better unit for less price. You aren't going to loose features, maybe a few hunting Icons, but that's minor stuff. The Hunt C screen is a little dull, but the Expedition C's screen is amazing, big and clear. I spoke with a Lowrance Rep, and the reason the Hunt is so high, is Lowrance pays royalties on the camo faceplate. (Yes you can copyright Camo. :laughing: )

Like Brian said, on the price comparisons you make with Garmin keep in mind the "Plus" package contains all mapping and hardware to run it. Garmin units are straight out of the box, and you need to buy mapping extra ($100 for TOPO, another $100 for road mapping.) That is where your "bang for the buck" really shows.

One final note, have a look at the "Buyers Guide" page of my website, the link is below in my signature line.

Good luck!

Edited by Airmapper

I was in your shoes about 6 months ago i was trying to make my mind up between the Hunt C and the other name brand GPS's but after lots and lots of Forum reading and compareing specs I settled on the Garmin 60csx and I 'm glad I did. after taking a trip thru Colorado New Mex and Tx It work extremly well in the auto plus I use it while hunting and geocacheing no complanits the either I'm not sure if that makes me a expert or not ( u know what a expert is Ex is a has been and a spurt in a drip under preasure ) but anways it's my two cents. AB5PE

First off, would either unit be easier to learn (considerably?), or are they both going to be about the same? I'm strictly talking about learning to find my deer stand in the woods, and plotting trails and waypoints to and from camp to these deer stands... I'm not worried about how hard it is to autoroute yet.

Lowrance comes with a basic mode and an advanced mode. The idea is that the basic mode is "idiot proof" and those who aren't technically inclined can use that until they get up to speed and learn the advanced features. Unfortunately the basic mode doesn't let you create waypoints other than your "home" waypoint which makes it pretty useless for your needs.

Between the two, Garmin is far easier to use. The Garmin interface is very intuative and uses an icon driven system similar to your Windows PC. Lowrance's user interface is a bit clunky and though there are excellent features they are sometimes buried in odd spots. Even Lowrance enthusiasts often admit that the user interface is the weak point in the Lowrance units.

One suggestion, I would not recommend the Hunt C, get an Expedition C. It is a better unit for less price. You aren't going to loose features, maybe a few hunting Icons, but that's minor stuff. The Hunt C screen is a little dull, but the Expedition C's screen is amazing, big and clear. I spoke with a Lowrance Rep, and the reason the Hunt is so high, is Lowrance pays royalties on the camo faceplate. (Yes you can copyright Camo.

I agree. Also, consider that if you lay down or drop a camo unit, finding again might not be so easy. I once spent a frantic hour searching for my grey Garmin Vista on a outcropping of grey rocks, so the brighter the unit. the better to me.

I see you said the Lowrance is best if I'm on a budget? Well, the Lowrance IFinder Hunt C (color model), is actually only $20 cheaper than the 60CSX, and that is ONLY if I can find someone on Ebay to sell the Lowrance to me for $300. There are many Ebay sellers that want MORE than $300, and the few that I contacted asking about a $300 Ifinder Hunt C, said they were out of stock.

Remember that the Lowrance (if you have the Plus package) includes mapping software and card reader in the price. So when comparing the price of a Hunt Plus (or Expedition Plus) with a Garmin, figure the extra $100 to $200 for Garmin's mapping software.

Edited by briansnat

Kind of like everything else. You get what you pay for. Three hundred dollars will pretty much buy you the same features down the line. You will be happy with whatever you buy. I imagine the fatures on one will be easier to use then on the other, but you will never know that unless you have more then one in your hand to compare and play with.

Hey briansnat,

GREAT explanation bro! That is the kind of reply I needed to help me decide! That you also Vlad!

I have a couple more concerns, and then I'll know for sure which is right for me.

Secondly, I hear Lowrance just got bought out from another company. Would this possibly be affecting their company negatively, or would anyone know that yet?

Finally, would there be a best place to purchase the Lowrance?

I think I found the Garmin 60CSX for $320 or so, from these folks. The $320 price tag, only comes after a $50 rebate. I assume you gents already know about this deal eh? IF there happens to be a BETTER deal out there, by all means, let me know about it guys. I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these units tomorrow. I just need to find the cheapest place for the Lowrance IFinder Hunt C first though..! A couple of Ebay dealers I contacted, said they were out of stock on the Lowrance, and did not know when any more would be in, since Lowrance was recently bought out by another company or something....

Here's the link to the cheapest 60CSX I've found...

http://www.gpsonsale.com/garmin/products/60csx.htm

Oh, BTW,

SO, my point is, either YOU must know a cheaper place to buy the Lowrance, or I must be getting a heck of a deal on the 60CSX above, and just don't know it????

I have a 60cx and have to say it works great for hunting. I mark my tree stands before hand then head into the woods at dark for archery and have no problem at all finding the tree I want to climb. It is better than wandering around in the woods or trying to put up markers. I have never lost signal in the woods yet here in Western Pa. As for the lowrance no experience with it but wanted to share my experience with the garmin.

You've got a lot of Garmin fans in this forum. I was in the same situation you were in just a few months ago. I read countless reviews of the 60CSX and the iFinder Expedition C Plus. I guess I read enough rants from Garmin users to eventually turn me off to the unit. I also saw the obvious price difference for the feature sets involved. I bought the Expedition C Plus and the NauticPath coastal charts for less than I could have got the plain 60CSX (no software). I LOVE my Lowrance. Even without autorouting, I enjoy using it on the road. It tells me where I am and the direction I need to go.

I'll be sticking with Lowrance.

Good Luck,

will

Hey Paul,

Let me throw in my two cents as a fellow hunter.

I have NO experience with the Lowrance systems and I use a Magellan Platinum that suits my needs just fine. The Platinum, now discontinued from what I understand, has a magnetic compass that works passing fair but I prefer to carry a real compass anyway. If for no other reason, you never have to worry about the batteries dying on a Silva! :P

I was at a geocaching event weekend before last and got to see a couple of Garmin 60CS units in action and I was very impressed with them. Although I get excellent accuracy with my "Magplat" I've got to say the Garmin units seemed to "cook in" on the coordinates MUCH faster and with identical accuracy.

There's something else you need to think about as well.

Geocachers work their GPSr's for all the accuracy they can get out of them. After all, we're often trying to find a 35mm film can hidden somewhere deep in the woods. A hunter is usually not looking for anything that small. You might be looking for your stand and in that case, anything that gets you within 50 yards is going to be "good enough." For smaller things like trail cameras, licks, etc, you might need to get within 20 yards of it but you'll almost never need the kind of accuracy for hunting that you need for caching.

Still, if you think you might want to take up the game/sport/adventure of geocaching some day, then I suspect the Garmin 60 series is just what you need. I'm thinking of "upgrading" to one of these in the very near future myself.

Whatever unit you decide to go with, its a pretty safe bet you're going to want to upgrade to a newer/faster/fancier unit in a couple of years anyway. It's just the nature of the beast.

Either way, let us know what you decide on and hopefully we'll see you out on the trails some day!

Gentleman,

Well, thanks for the replies.

Can ANYONE tell me WHAT accessories I should buy with the Garmin 60CSX to start with?

I'm only talking about basic stuff, and NOT the mapping stuff or anything.

Who makes the best quality case for the 60CSX?

I have only seen a couple online and they both were very unclear in the photos.

I want a good case for it, to keep it in good shape, and undamaged at all times.

Also, I see an AC adaptor, which will let it run off the your AC power, when inside playing around with it, so it won't eat up your batteries.

I don't really need it, but it would be nice maybe.

Any other suggestions on ANY accessories that could be considered "MUST HAVES"?????

Thanks so much guys for helping me decide!!!!!

I use the neoprene case by Garmin while I am carrying mine in the woods (part no. 010-10578-00). There are also some similar neoprene cases (I think by Gilsson) that many people like. Both add some protection to the screen if you drop it or something.

As far as the AC adapter, I doubt you will need it. If I remember correctly, when you plug your GPS into your computer using the USB cable the GPS unit does not draw power from the batteries. Most of the time if you are playing with the GPS in the house it will be hooked up to your computer anyway.

Another accessory you might consider is a 12 volt car adapter for when you are using it to navigate somewhere. This probably won't be as important until you buy the map software that autoroutes.

The only other thing you may want to buy is a larger memory card once you start using your unit to navigate on the road and in the woods. The one that comes with it will be fine if you don't travel far, but if you want a lot of maps for taking road trips you may need to get more memory.

Hope you enjoy your new GPS as much as I have.

Gentleman,

Can ANYONE tell me WHAT accessories I should buy with the Garmin 60CSX to start with?

I want a good case for it, to keep it in good shape, and undamaged at all times.

Also, I see an AC adaptor, which will let it run off the your AC power, when inside playing around with it, so it won't eat up your batteries.

Any other suggestions on ANY accessories that could be considered "MUST HAVES"?????

I just ordered a nylon case like this from EBay for $10 incl shipping. It fits many models like GPSV, Rhino, etc. so it might not be very form fitting and is not real heavy if it's nylon.

http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10117%2D02

I might get one of these cases (neoprene or rubbery) and use the nylon case over the top. I wonder if the clear material on these cases gets so scratched that you don't want to use it?

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-R60N-GPSMap-N...p;s=electronics

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Protective-Ca...p;s=electronics

Sources on this forum and elsewhere have said the Motorola RAZR car charger works the 60 series GPS. The Garmin model is only $14 on Buy.com, so I don't think I'll take my chances with anything else. Get a case or something else that adds to $30, create a Google Checkout account, and get $10 off your order before October 31.

http://www.buy.com/retail/electronics/prod...049011&wl=1

I'm looking for deals on 1 Gb microSD cards to be around $15-20. I missed a deal on PNY cards for 19.95 after rebate that ended yesterday. When I find a great deal, I'll post on the forum.

Thanks so much, that is JUSt what I needed sir!

I bought a Garmin GPSmap 60Cx. No S. And later bought the streets mapping disc when the version came out recently. And I'm about to buy a 2GB MicroSD card to cram the all of it on there at once (mostly because I want to).

I also have a RAM Mount for my dash and I use the Garmin in the car.

I have a Brunton compass. I do have to hold it level, but since it isn't electronic, there's no issue with batteries and the only recalibration necessary is if I change my geographic location significantly, plus the occasional check of declination due to Earth's moving magnetic poles.

I have NO regrets. Just sayin'.

Gentleman,

I'd say the neoprene case is pretty important. In a what where they thinking moment, Garmin did not use a recesses display on the 60's so you need to protect it. I have the case sold by Garmin. Its around $19 and my unit looks as good as the day I bought it, though its been through hell and back.

The one thing I didn't like about the Garmin case is that the plastic covered the buttons, so I cut a hole in it for them.

Edited by briansnat

Ok guys,

I received my 60CSX tonight. WHOOHOO!

I have a couple questions, before I power it up, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out, so I can actually get it powered up this evening!

First off, briansnat,

What did you mean in your last post, about Garmin not using a "recesses display" ???? What is a recesses display???

Here are my questions, I have about startup with the 60csx guys..

1. I see the unit has a function where you choose which type of batteries to use. Either "NimH, OR Alkaline".

Well, let's say I am starting up my GPS for the FIRST time. Do I just put my alkaline batteries in the unit, and turn it on? WHAT IF the unit is set of "NiMH" batteries, and I'm starting out with alkalines??? I mean, WHAT IF the battery I choose to start with, is NOT the same type that the unit is currently set for?? Manual makes no mention of this...

Also, what is the purpose of choosing the type of battery I will use? Does the unit operate differently on the two different types of batteries???

I just don't understand why you must tell the GPS what type of battery you are using.????

2. I think I saw on Ebay, some clear plastic adhesive screen protectors for the 60csx. These were IN ADDITION to a regular protective case.

Are you guys using these clear protective peel-away stickers for the screen? The ones I saw, were much like the peel-away sticker that comes on the unit, that is oversized, and needs to be removed...

Thanks for any help guys. I will try to keep questions to a minimum, and do as much of this on my own as I can...

Thanks so much guys!!!!!

Ok guys,

I received my 60CSX tonight. WHOOHOO!

I have a couple questions, before I power it up, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out, so I can actually get it powered up this evening!

First off, briansnat,

What did you mean in your last post, about Garmin not using a "recesses display" ???? What is a recesses display???

That was a typo. He meant recessed display. It is recessed slightly on the top and bottom, but not on the sides.

Here are my questions, I have about startup with the 60csx guys..

1. I see the unit has a function where you choose which type of batteries to use. Either "NimH, OR Alkaline".

Well, let's say I am starting up my GPS for the FIRST time. Do I just put my alkaline batteries in the unit, and turn it on? WHAT IF the unit is set of "NiMH" batteries, and I'm starting out with alkalines??? I mean, WHAT IF the battery I choose to start with, is NOT the same type that the unit is currently set for?? Manual makes no mention of this...

Also, what is the purpose of choosing the type of battery I will use? Does the unit operate differently on the two different types of batteries???

I just don't understand why you must tell the GPS what type of battery you are using.????

This is just so the battery power meter works correctly. It won't affect how the GPS actually works. Different battery types have different starting voltages and discharge profiles.

2. I think I saw on Ebay, some clear plastic adhesive screen protectors for the 60csx. These were IN ADDITION to a regular protective case.

Are you guys using these clear protective peel-away stickers for the screen? The ones I saw, were much like the peel-away sticker that comes on the unit, that is oversized, and needs to be removed...

Thanks for any help guys. I will try to keep questions to a minimum, and do as much of this on my own as I can...

Thanks so much guys!!!!!

This has been discussed ad nauseum in another thread. Best choice is Invisible Shield (google 'em). A little pricey, but unlike the rest, you'll probably never need to replace it.