Geo-teaming?

mark&beth

I thought this was the best place to ask this question, so here goes!

A couple of weekends back myself and beth were heading on a road-trip back to her place for thanksgiving and of course we cached our way along. Beth's sister, who is a member of a 3-person team, was along for the ride and took part of some of the caches too. So my question is can beth's sister claim those caches as finds or does the majority of her team need to be there, or at least the captain (beth's father).

We're in a bit of a race with the other team, so depending on your comments I'll decide if they should know the answer (just kidding... it's all in good fun!)

I think the sister should claim the caches as an individual. If the team consists of three people, all three people should be caching together for it to count as a team cache. If all three members count their individual finds as team finds, there numbers will increase much faster than the two of you caching together as a team!

I never saw the point of forming a "team" unless the members almost always cache together. Some people who are members of a team also have personal accounts for solo finds, but if they don't, then the only alternative is for your friend to log the find under the team account.

I disagree with Red_Devil35 that all members need to be present. There are many wife and husband teams, or family teams. There is no reason that if the husband finds a cache without the wife, or the wife finds a cache without the kids along that they can't log it under the family team account.

Dang, I actually am going to disagree with Briansnat. Normally I would say the same thing he is, but since you are having a competition then I would think the whole team should be there. But then I guess that is one of the rules you should have worked out beforehand. Plus if it is the only way she has to log it then I guess she should get to log it. Dang, I guess I ended up agreeing with Briansnat after all.

Thanks for everyone's input, and I hope to get more opinions to come up with a "final" answer. Maybe a bit of clarification would be best, beth's sister is in a team with her father (the captain) and the youngest sister.

The view that I had on it was say I went with beth's father on some caches at the same time beth went with her sister's on some caches, our #'s would sky-rocket overnight. I don't think it is fair to count a log if your team isn't with you. Likewise I know beth's father doesn't do any finds without their little sister (because the travelling sister is in university, out-of-province). *I should have printed off the family tree haha*

As for the competition, it's just a silly thing to say "I've got 1 more find than you!".

I look forward to more debate of this question.

This is why I have my own account. I think if there's a team name, the team should do the caching together. (Minus unforeseen circumstances of course.) I love to cache with friends and family, and I do as often as I can, but there are times I must feed the addiction, and no one is around (or up yet) to go along with me, so I go out with my small child. My usual caching partners all have individual accounts as well. All right, I'm done; if you had another $0.97, you could buy a burger.

FJ

My thought is that it could still be the teams find, as long as the individual members (or parts thereof) aren't finding seperate caches in seperate locations at about the same time.

I go and find a cache, it should count for the team.

My wife and/or other members go with me, it still counts.

I take may son after cache GCAAAA, while my wife goes after cache GCBBBB, both at the same time, then no, neither should really count. That said, we treat this as a group function, even if everyone doesn't go.

I take my son in the morning, and the girls go in the afternoon, yeah, I think that should count.

But then again, the family is the team. And we still always count the find even if the dog is left home. ;)

Bill

If you are competing with another team, both teams need to agree on what team finds are.

If it's "all members must be present for each find" thats one thing. If it's "any find by any member of the team counts for the whole team as long as it's not a duplicate find" that's another.

As for the sister, if she found then she found them and she should log them individually regardless of the team issue.

Is'nt this how some of the mass finders find their caches? I once read that some of the teams with over 10.000 founds consist out of more then sometimes ten persons. They each go caching by themselves and log their founds under the same teamname. Personally i don't see anything in that way of caching. My team is formed by my 4 familymembers, two of them are children. We log every found on our teamname but in fact 99% i was there myself when the cache was found. Competetion in numbers of founds i think is silly, some people have more time then others and besides i see this more as a quality hobby then a quantity hobby. But those are my thoughts.

Greetz Kapitein Haak.

Our "team name" has really just morphed into my own personal account. We are two families who sometimes cache together, but often it's just me and my friend from the other family, or just me and my son. I am the only one who has been present for all of the finds (and DNFs) for this account.

Back before the lock down on account names I toyed with changing the name because we named ourselves after his daughter and he recently bought a Garmin for himself. I procrastinated and now he will have to come up with another name if he wants to cache on his own. :unsure:

We're a "Team". The team consists of myself, my wife, and my two daughters. My wife and I sometimes do caches without the kids. We certainly count those under the "team" ID. In our case, the "team" sort of associates with our GPSr, if that makes sense?!

I guess if my wife were out with a GPSr finding caches and I was out finding them with another GPSr, it'd be more appropriate to log those individualy. Another way to look at it is like a relay race. The GPSr is the baton. Even though multiple people carry the baton at various times and independently of the others, it's still the same race. Wow, I like how that analogy came out!

:unsure: