Any interest in a Geocoin event/swap on the East Coast?

UOTrackers

Recently I was elected to the South Carolina Geocachers Association Steering Committee. At our first meeting we began talking about hosting a somewhat large event in either September or October of next year (2007). Some of you may know that South Carolina had a rough year last year and a shaky one this year, but that's all over with and we want to show everyone that we're still here and caching. We're planning a 3 day event and I am planning to include in that a Geocoin 101 and swap meet. Currently I am planning this to be a 3-4 hour portion for the weekend (on Saturday night), but if there is enough interest I can make other arrangements (since we are in the planning stages now). I figured the sooner I get feedback the better I can plan so why not toss this out here now?!

This is in NO WAY ment to take away from the Geocoin Mega event currently being discussed, this would only be one portion of a whole geocaching event.

Recently I was elected to the South Carolina Geocachers Association Steering Committee. At our first meeting we began talking about hosting a somewhat large event in either September or October of next year (2007). Some of you may know that South Carolina had a rough year last year and a shaky one this year, but that's all over with and we want to show everyone that we're still here and caching. We're planning a 3 day event and I am planning to include in that a Geocoin 101 and swap meet. Currently I am planning this to be a 3-4 hour portion for the weekend (on Saturday night), but if there is enough interest I can make other arrangements (since we are in the planning stages now). I figured the sooner I get feedback the better I can plan so why not toss this out here now?!

This is in NO WAY ment to take away from the Geocoin Mega event currently being discussed, this would only be one portion of a whole geocaching event.

We would most certainly be there. It sounds great to us here in Central NC

Sure as long as the Falcons had an away game or a bye week I would attend. I've been to SCGA meetings before :)

I have no idea when those game are, but I will try and keep that in mind so that the geocoin goddess can grace us with her presence :)

I am sooooo totally kidding, ya know I love ya AG B)

My recommednation is to set a date, set a time, and set a location and stick to them. It is much easier to organize an event with a clear idea of such criteria. I can see benefits of opening up discussion to the forum, but as we have learned from other threads regarding other geocoins events, there will be tons of ideas flying around and we just simply can't make everyone happy. Rather than to create problems and confusions in the long run, it is much easier to provide people with a set date and locaiton and have them RSVP 2-3 months in advanced. It is hard enough to get together with a group of friends to just do something... You can image the difficulties of organizaing an international event (more national, but I'm sure some international cachers will join in). If they can make it, great. If not, there will be the next one. But at least you would have a head count on the RSVP. Also, talking about it 9 months to a year before it happens will problem burn people out.

just my 2 cents

edit: spelling

Edited by ozymandiasism

My recommednation is to set a date, set a time, and set a location and stick to them. It is much easier to organize an event with a clear idea of such criteria. I can see benefits of opening up discussion to the forum, but as we have learned from other threads regarding other geocoins events, there will be tons of ideas flying around and we just simply can't make everyone happy. Rather than to create problems and confusions in the long run, it is much easier to provide people with a set date and locaiton and have them RSVP 2-3 months in advanced. It is hard enough to get together with a group of friends to just do something... You can image the difficulties of organizaing an international event (more national, but I'm sure some international cachers will join in). If they can make it, great. If not, there will be the next one. But at least you would have a head count on the RSVP. Also, talking about it 9 months to a year before it happens will problem burn people out.

just my 2 cents

edit: spelling

I appreciate those ideas and feelings. The way I look at this, is well, kinda like I looked at my wedding. Yes it was my wedding, but I tried to accomodate everyone who wanted to attend. So much so that I planned it on a Holiday Weekend (Columbus day, my anniversary is tomorrow!) so that folks I wanted from home, NY, would be able to attend. For some reason Columbus day is off from school there where it isn't here go figure.

So more or less right now I am not trying to figure out a date, so much as an amount of time. Currently my plan was to have 3-4 hours on Saturday night set aside for this. The reasoning for this was that Saturday would be the Main event day and would likely have the most visitors. So really I guess I was trying to guage interest so I can decide if 3-4 hours was really enough time, And if I should set it up for earlier in the day rather than the current time frame of starting at 7 pm. This decision is important to planning the event time slots and so needs to be decided early. I hope that makes sense.

Sure as long as the Falcons had an away game or a bye week I would attend. I've been to SCGA meetings before :)

I have no idea when those game are, but I will try and keep that in mind so that the geocoin goddess can grace us with her presence B)

Goddess? More like Geocoin Imp! :):D

I am all for it.

Just as long as there's no Kudzu! Yuck! Hate Kudzu! :D

I have no idea when those game are, but I will try and keep that in mind so that the geocoin goddess can grace us with her presence :D

Next year, I have no idea when they are either nor does the NFL Commission. You asked a question. I answered based on a simple fact... AG is married to Atlanta during football season :D

Goddess? More like Geocoin Imp! B)B)

Nice Jerzee. Real nice. .oO(Where's that "finger" smiley when you need it?) B)

Just as long as there's no Kudzu! Yuck! Hate Kudzu! :)

Oh, I am sending you a potted planter of the crap. You can take it back to Joisey and allow it to help you fools with area erosion problems. I'll be sure to add a jar of fire ants to your care package too. Yeah, that's it :)

Edited by AtlantaGal

I'm kinda thinking maybe labor day weekend sicne a lot of people get the extra day off, also maybe Colmbus day...But really I'm trying to keep track of weather right now to help decide. I've lived here 4 years but never remember from one year to the next what the weather is like. It was about 82 today.

Congrats on your being elected and for weathering the "storms" down yonder". I'd be interested on this kind of an event. We have many in the Military Association of GeoCachers that would probably step up to help with that. Post a note on our Forums for this : http://www.militarycache.org if you would like. Some of our follks down there may step up to help you out.