gpsmap60csx: What about a new firmware version?

freeday

I'm not quite sure what you are looking for, but you can access the micro SD card directly.

menu/menu/setup/interface/USB Mass Storage while hooked to a PC and the card will show as a drive on the computer.

I want to work with the gpsmap without computer.

Saving waypoints to SD.

Selecting the .GPX from last week (which is saved on the SD) for example

50 Routes

20 Tracks

internal

To save tracks and routes on SD would be much better and without a real limit. :anicute:

On holiday 20 Tracks is not so much.

Hope it is now more clearly.

I'm not quite sure what you are looking for, but you can access the micro SD card directly.

menu/menu/setup/interface/USB Mass Storage while hooked to a PC and the card will show as a drive on the computer.

Is it common for your unit to freeze when you do what you said but the unit isn't connected to a PC??

:anicute::anicute:

Cause mine is stuck :ph34r:

Is it common for your unit to freeze when you do what you said but the unit isn't connected to a PC??

:anicute::anicute:

Cause mine is stuck :ph34r:

If your firmware is current (2.90 or 3.00 I think) just press on/off switch briefly otherwise hold it down and you turn your unit off and can turn it on normaly afterwards.

ProsperoDK/René

To save tracks and routes on SD would be much better and without a real limit.

On holiday 20 Tracks is not so much

Am I missing something here?

All my daily [unlimited] tracks are stored automatically on the SD card!

Since the 10th of June 2006 [the day the 60CSx arrived] all my tracks are available. They begin saving the moment I switch on!

I store them as backup on the PC, and view them in MapSource.

They amount to 12MB on my PC hardrive and include the Jouney from Taiwan to Olathe[before I bought it]!

All my daily [unlimited] tracks are stored automatically on the SD card!
That's not the question. That's nice, but not enough what I expect from a unit with SD-cards.

I would expect to be able to display these saved tracks also on the unit, not only on the PC, I would expect to be able to save routes without restrictions on the SD card, to save and display waypoints on/from the sd-card (unfortunately the POI's have not the same properties as the waypoints), and so on.

All internal storage dependent restrictions could be lifted at the end, when the SD-card would be fully supported.

You can make a waypoint from a custom POI, so that functionality does exist somewhat.

The reason I say don't hold your breath as this will require a lot of software changes. The basic software is just a slight evolution from past units. to do these things most likely will require a serious re-write. You need to keep in mind that Garmin puts out a hurdred different models and handhelds are just a little part of their business. The big money is in automotive units. I would suspect there is a very small programming team that has to manage all of these different units and as long as 95% of the customers are happy, it is good enough.

My old Magelan Meridian Gold was upgraded with an SD card utilility menu about a year after I bought it. You could change map img files and load and store waypoints from/to the card. The waypoint files were just lists of NEMA waypoint sentences. I thoght that was pretty ingenious. Force the user to do the formatting software(GPSBabel does it) and use the existing NEMA interpretter in the GPS. Also, how do you format the memory card without a PC? Garmin should at least add a format utiliy.

The Magellan Explorist 600 (i owned before) could save and load tracks and routes to/from SD.

I wonder why Garmin is still not supporting this function with the gpsmap 60CSX.

I agree, the explorist 400, 500, & 600 have great SD card support. could garmin add new SD card enhancements? sure they could they did add track logging to the card, which is a start toward new features. I can't think of another handheld gps unit that has a card slot that doesn't have more than just maps on the card, only garmin is this way. looking at it like that it seems there is no reason they don't add these features.

handhelds may not make money like auto-units, but If garmin added more SD card support and maybe even a text document reader I would go out and buy another 60csx. I own three garmin gpsr now, with software, & mounts.... I have way more invested than a auto-unit.