Would you like to find this in a cache?

team5150

I was thinking rather than leaving a bunch of dollar store toys and silly stuff, which gets boring ...sometimes, I would like to start leaving Sacajawea Dollars or two dollar bills, maybe some old, collectible stamps....I was just wondering if that is something that you would like to find and trade for?

I often leave the Sac/gold dollar coin as first to find prizes. They're a better find than a dollar purchase! Those and half-dollar coins and two dollar bills are unique enough to make a nifty 'treasure', and the gold tone of the dollar coin adds lustre to the 'treasure' concept some folks have about cache swag. Good idea, I say...

Before I knew about geocaching, we had a family reunion at my place. I buried a real small treasure chest with enough of the gold dollar coins so that each kid would have 5. Then I painted a bi X over the spot.

While the kids were playing on the playset, the found the map that I made. It took them all around the neighborhood, back to the house, and then they had to dig for it.

It was a *real* treasure hunt!

I was thinking rather than leaving a bunch of dollar store toys and silly stuff, which gets boring ...sometimes, I would like to start leaving Sacajawea Dollars or two dollar bills, maybe some old, collectible stamps....I was just wondering if that is something that you would like to find and trade for?

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........Yeah! :laughing:

Great ideas. I also like to leave collectible coins. At one time I had a fairly large collection of Indian head pennies, buffalo nickles, mercury dimes, Eisenhower dollars and Franklin and Kennedy halves. I've been using them in caches for a while now, so that collection has dwindled considerably.

I think the kinds of items you mention are a large cut above the traditional cache fare.

I've really thought about $2 bills myself. Despite the fact that they are still printed, still in circulation, and still valid currency, they are rare to find in the wild. Although any large enough bank can provide you with as many as you like at their face value.

Some time ago, there was a cacher who mentioned that he leaves ancient Roman coins.

I left one of those in my own cache recently, to celebrate the release of a new version of my favorite Roman strategy videogame (all hail Caesar, heh), but weirdly enough, several people have visited the cache since then and nobody has taken it. Squashed pennies from theme parks vanish like candy, but the poor Roman coin might be sitting out its next 2000 years in an urban park-and-grab, heh.

In response to the original poster, I think nifty coins are far cooler than anything you could buy with them at the dollar store. I love seeing unusual or foreign currency in a cache; although I don't generally take it myself, it's a good bet that somebody's kid will consider it a real treasure. You go!

Personally I have no interest in anything you mentioned, BUT I think every item you listed is several cuts above the 'usual trash' left in caches. I am 100% certain that if you left such items you would make some other fellow cacher very pleased with their find.

Even though I wouldn't trade for the items you mentioned, if the cache had such items in it I would say to myself "hmmm, this cache seems to have some decent swag in it, the local cachers must be some decent, giving folks".

I strongly encourage you to pursue your ideas.

I leave what i would like to find in a cache. I am new to the caching game and i simply hate it when i open a cache only to find ripped stickers, bent and broken magnets for your car, ripped cardboard that says HI!, in general, what i call trash.

Do others find that if you make the cache listing for members only that the cache is made up of nicer items or is that a wishful thinking on my part? I placed my first cache a few weeks ago and the few members who found it traded even or traded up. Thoughts?

Peace

LeozDad

Here's a link that shows what the different US Currencies look like the non US Geocacher's out there. The $2 note is something that is rarely seen is day-to-day commerce and most folks will hold onto them if they happen to get one. As far as I know, we've never had a $2 dollar coin unlike our Canadian friends to the North.

http://www.bep.treas.gov/section.cfm/4

As far as coins, we have three different $1 coins in normal circulation

The oldest, and largest is the Dwight D. Eisenhower Dollar which is silver in color and has a picture of the an Eagle landing on the Moon if I recall correctly. I usually keep 'em if I come across them. Minted '71-'78

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisenhower_Dollar

The next is the Susan B. Anthony Dollar which is roughly the same size as quarter. Its silver in color. I love handing these to the teenage cashiers at the burger joints and confusing the hell out of them. You dont come across these very often. The have the same reverse as the Eisenhower. Minted '79,'81,'99

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_B._Anthony_Dollar

The newest is the Gold colored Sagagwea dollar and were first minted in 2000 I believe. IMHO they were only made so change could be given from the Postal Stamp vending machines becuase that's the only place I ever get them.

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/index....den_dollar_coin

I've always been a fan of the John F. Kennedy Half-Dollars. They're the perfect size for a "lucky coin"

Long story short, Id definately like to find unique coins in a geocache. Feel free to throw in a 1943 Steel Penny and I'll be sure to swipe it.

On an unrelated note I found a cache today and while I was pulling it out I wondered why it was so heavy. It was loaded with about $5 worth of pennies....wierd.

Edited by ckwhitman

Klizich takes things a step further and folds where's george dollars into origami shirts, snakes, and other things. My daughters and I still think they are some of the coolest swag we've found in a cache. Oh, we'd be happy to trade for any of the other items you listed, too.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

Whenever I need to go to the bank I always ask for a roll of dollar coins and some twos.

The $2 bill comes in really handy when doing that unexpected cache or you forget the swag bag in he car, they fit in the wallet so they are always nearby!