Defining the rules of where to place a Cache!

:laughing: I am trying place a GEOCACHE. I am kitty corner to a scholl playground with the school .15 from that. TH school playground is about 250 feet away. What consitutes near. We have a famous cacher in our area that placed a micro about 10 feet from the door of a kindergarten. Was it grandfathered? No but it was allowed? Can someone help me out? Its a great spot in the base of a stop sign and not near anything except my house.

school.jpg

Just trying to get some idea of whats really what.

Sorry if this is already posted somewhere but couldnt find it... Thanks... Never Lost In Him :anitongue:

good photo, that makes it easy to say " hell no!"

:laughing:

just consider that it's a playground within clear view,

now consider dozens of suspicious-looking people wandering back and forth across the street from it...

see a problem yet?

:anitongue:

Not if all of those suspicious people stop at the sign, pull something out, sign it, put it back and go on their merry way.

Cue someone to ask why there isn't a Walmart with a light pole and/or dumpster in your town :anitongue:

Seriously, though, the rule about being close to a school is there to keep you and the people looking for your cache from getting in dutch with the police and/or school officials, who wonder why there are all these people hanging around the play ground.

The world is a big place, there are lots of cool locations that would be better cache locations. If you've got some sort of real need to put it next to the school, talk to the school officials, explain what you're doing and get permission. I think that, if you have express written permission, you can put the dang thing in the lunchroom if you want.

Thanks for the help !!!

Can we kill this now that I feel like more of an idiot???

My reason was that its right near my house and I had a new idea to make it easy to get Trackables to far off lands and get much mileage - I have many contacts with people who go all over the world and was making a hotel as such to get them moving elsewhere instead of just caching around from hole to hole in Philly.

Anyways... Thanks for all the input - I feel dumb but what should I do with the one that I just cached myself and it was right in front of a school door? Do I alert anyone or just call it whatever... I felt like the evil guy lurking around at 9am when all the mothers were dropping off their kids... I have 3 under 8 myself.

Anyways... Thanks for all the input - I feel dumb but what should I do with the one that I just cached myself and it was right in front of a school door? Do I alert anyone or just call it whatever... I felt like the evil guy lurking around at 9am when all the mothers were dropping off their kids... I have 3 under 8 myself.

Which is precisely the reason they aren't allowed by schools. I'm sure the mothers were wondering who the heck you were and what you were doing there.

The cache may be there with the permission of the school officials. If so, that would usually be mentioned on the page. If though, you feel that its a guideline violation, you can either log a "needs archived" explaining the situation, or send an e-mail to your reviewer to give him a heads up. There is a good chance he didn't know that there was a school there when it was reviewed. If the schools is not on the maps your reviewer looks at, there is a chance an inappropriate placement might slip by him.

:laughing: Its a great spot in the base of a stop sign school.jpg

Just trying to get some idea of whats really what.

Sorry if this is already posted somewhere but couldnt find it... Thanks... Never Lost In Him :anitongue:

I wonder what would be so great as a spot at the base of a stop sign anyway?

Edited by haffy

...My reason was that its right near my house and I had a new idea to make it easy to get Trackables to far off lands and get much mileage...

Welcome to geocaching, but PLEASE, on behalf of trackable owners everywhere, get a little more experience before you place a cache dedicated to that cause. The location you chose for this one may have been convenient for you, but it would have likely been a graveyard for any trackable unfortunate enough to have been placed there. In such a public location, any container large enough to hold most trackables would probably be found very quickly by non-cachers.

Thanks for the help !!!

Can we kill this now that I feel like more of an idiot???

My reason was that its right near my house and I had a new idea to make it easy to get Trackables to far off lands and get much mileage - I have many contacts with people who go all over the world and was making a hotel as such to get them moving elsewhere instead of just caching around from hole to hole in Philly.

Your spot is in full view of all the protective parents and curious kids. Kids would be all over the cache looking for treasures. The trackables would disappear at an alarming rate, and eventually would get blown up by the local bomb squad. I doubt the city wants a geocache attached to their Stop Sign.

Read this for some useful ideas about cache placement. What would you think

Ready to hide your first cache?

Okay - seriously this forum stuff is scary... please read them as I FEEL STUPID ALREADY - no need to keep rubbing it in... lets kill this deal... I may never forum again... Thanks -

The trackables would have been taken out each and every day they were in there... it was clearly thought out but will never happen - LETS FINISH IT!!!

I have seen plenty of microcaches on stop signs near places of interest... I will leave the "FORUMING" to all you experts and such... this has been an experiment in serious ego-busting fun!!! Thanks for love the fellow geocachers.

Edited by Never Lost In Him

Okay - seriously this forum stuff is scary... please read them as I FEEL STUPID ALREADY - no need to keep rubbing it in... lets kill this deal... I may never forum again... Thanks -

The trackables would have been taken out each and every day they were in there... it was clearly thought out but will never happen - LETS FINISH IT!!!

I have seen plenty of microcaches on stop signs near places of interest... I will leave the "FORUMING" to all you experts and such... this has been an experiment in serious ego-busting fun!!! Thanks for love the fellow geocachers.

Well no one was trying to ego bust. Maybe use it as a learning experience? We have all had our chops busted in here. Don't take it personally.

El Diablo

... this has been an experiment in serious ego-busting fun!!! Thanks for love the fellow geocachers.

As others have said, I wasn't trying to put you down. My suggestion came from my own well intended by ill conceived experience. You can see my "Hall of Shame" by clicking on this link. The caches with the red lines through them are my early mistakes.

Hope this helps.

Those were some great articles. Thanks for linking!

Never Lost In Him, don't get too put off. The forums can sometimes seem brash when you don't spend much time here. That being said, a frank response is a frank response.

As for putting an end to this topic... I was going to point out that as the topic starter you have the power to close the topic. Buuuut, now that I'm looking for that option on topics I've started, I don't see it anymore. It should be a dropdown box at the bottom of this page... I guess it's my turn to get a frank response. Hmm.

As for putting an end to this topic... I was going to point out that as the topic starter you have the power to close the topic. Buuuut, now that I'm looking for that option on topics I've started, I don't see it anymore. It should be a dropdown box at the bottom of this page... I guess it's my turn to get a frank response. Hmm.

Yes...that featured was discontinued because it was being abused.

El Diablo

... this has been an experiment in serious ego-busting fun!!! Thanks for love the fellow geocachers.

As others have said, I wasn't trying to put you down. My suggestion came from my own well intended by ill conceived experience. You can see my "Hall of Shame" by clicking on this link. The caches with the red lines through them are my early mistakes.

Hope this helps.

Hey you don't own my caches! I DO! :anitongue:

I think the linky needs some work. It takes me to my own cache list. :laughing:

Dolphin is not noted for his visual acuity (even after cataract surgery), but those look a lot like railroad tracks? Caches not permitted near active rail lines.

Not sure what you would call them in the water, but they look more like what we call "crosswalks" on land (note the other one across the intersection). :anitongue: Edited by worldtraveler

Honestly, there's no reason to feel like an idiot. We all start this game as newbies and the only experience we have is what we've seen from other cachers. If you've seen caches like the one you wanted to place then it's only natural that you would ask about it.

Pay attention to the guidelines, keep working on your idea. I'm sure you'll do great.

Closing this one at the owner's request.

Bret