Would you look for a cache in here?

scorpionkill

I probably would have before, but not after I read the story of Ted the Caver! :laughing:

:P

I first encountered a version of this story over a year ago, although it appeared on a website other than the one linked. There actually seem to be several websites in existence which push this story, or somewhat-revised or customized versions of it; all versions seem to be deliberately missing a page or two plus an ending and thus leave the reader hanging. These various versions of the story have been well-discussed on many caving websites and forums, a few rock climbing forums -- and even on some rather underground and clandestine urban exploring (UE) forums -- over the years. The general consensus is that this story, in one form or another, has been in circulation since the late 1970s, and is rather widely considered in the caving and climbing worlds to be a hoax. I will try to spend some time later today to go thru my browser bookmarks to try to find links to some of the debunking discussions of the many forms of this story on some of the caving forums; if I can find them, I will share them here!

Late postscript: Just remembered this... I believe that this fictional tale with the missing ending has also been discussed on the forums at the Black Flag Cafe (a well-known forum for mountain climbers and adventurers); am looking for the link now...

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

ME!?!? IN THERE!?!? not a snowball's chance in Hades!

The last time I needed an MRI, they got me in the little tube, and then figured out they had to dope me to Mars for the protection of their machine and me. (We figured out that I may be a little claustrophobic.)

However, that said, others apparently would go in there, so place it you shall. But be sure to remind on the page that neither you are Groundspeak are liable for any mishaps.

You bet I'd go after a cache like that, but only if it was indeed in bedrock. We have old mines out here that I wouldn't go into for any cache; I think they're left overs from the gold discovery/mining days. We also have some very large natural caves but most are protected and hiding a cache would probably not be allowed. Wish we had caches like that here in CA. (maybe we do, but I'm unaware).

I'd go after that cache, but only with an H2S detector. H2S is a colorless gas that is the byproduct of decomposing organic material. We see it a lot coming from natural gas and oil wells. In concentrations over 10ppm you can smell it, but only for a second, as it temporarily kills the olifactory nerve. At 100ppm it can kill you in short order. It is rarely found in caves, sometimes found in mines. Bad Stuff. H2S is also known as sewer gas, stink damp, sour gas.

Edited by disenchanted

I'm from Colorado where we have many, many abandoned mines, bore holes, etc. I was taught at a very early age to NEVER go into an abandoned mine for any reason. I hold to that safety training today. Going into an abandoned mine carries too much risk or bad air, tripping or falling hazards, very difficult for rescuers to find you, difficult to notify rescurers, and could ruin a nice fun day in the wilds. Visit http://www.osmre.gov/keepout.htm for reference.

I don't think it is wise to have the thrill of a cache find outweigh common sense safety. All it will take for Geocaching to get a bad name and start being forbidden is for a few people to get seriously hurt or (hopefully not) killed while looking for tupperware. If you hide a cache in the bottom of an unfenced swimming pool and some kid drowned trying to get the cache, you are liable (attactive nuisance). This law exists (in part for lawsuits) but to have people protect lesser trained (kids who don't swim well) from being hurt by temptation (leadeth me not to temptation, I can find it myself!). Naturally, this is only my opinion and you know what they say about opinions!!

Take care,

Outspoken1

OK. So I have been working on an ideal Cache for this location. I have created a "Horror story" of sorts to go with this location. The cache will be a multi/mystery cache where you have to solve clues some of which will send you to some spooky places at a certain time of night (Working on a cache that will play a recording at a set time). One of the last stages will send you into this cave. I might take a fake corpes and put it in there with a locked ammo box chained to it. In the box would be a clue that will lead you to the final stage.

What do you think?

Aside from my ecological concerns for the bats and they eeuuuwww factor (not to mention toxicity) of guano, and the danger of collapse and wild critters, that just looks like a GREAT place to come face to face with a snake and that is not something I have any interest in doing.

I do agree about most of what you wrote but this this place will not colapse on you at all. Carved out of solid rock, very narrow been like this for 100 + years

......I am not saying it isn't dangerous, however the mine is pretty narrow and I think given it's age has stood the test of time pretty well. The bat issue is the only thing that bothers me about this mine. I don't want the bat's to be awoken during their hybernation so I may not put the cache in there unless you could limit it to a certain time of year. It is a pretty cool/sppoky place though.

I'd do it.. some of my earliest adventures as a kid were exploring old coal mines in Western PA. To avoid disturbing bats just remove the box and disable it each winter.

Oh yeah, I would do it!

Birmingham is built on mining - old mineshafts abound. As teens we used to hike from Homewood to Shannon through a labyrinth of old iron-ore mines, a distance of some 7 miles!

Alabama is also heavily populated with limestone erosion caves and caverns. I have been through many.

There are numerous tunnel, cave and mine caches here.

It's interesting that all the folks that worry about mine safety are not at all concerned about driving a car, the most dangerous activity most Americans will ever perform!

EdinCave.jpg

I'd hunt for such a cache. I enjoy underground caches. In fact, I own a cache that's hidden in a cave. The last one I found in a mine, though, would be fine for even the claustrophobic people. Unfortunately it's disabled now, but will hopefully be back online soon. It's one of the best caches in Pennsylvania...

Sand Quarry

(I'm the guy in the white shirt, and I'm 6' tall, so you can see how completely huge that hole is)

f23c86a3-ad5a-4e97-b47a-41a1df315dbd.jpg

Aw, you beat me! For a second, I thought someone had posted my photo!

Yeah, I like my caves nice and non-claustrophobic.

NOT A CHANCE IN H#@*...... YOU DONT KNOW Y IT WAS ABONDEND AND THE STRUCIAL INTEGRITY OF IT. FOR ALL YOU KNOW THE NEXT TIME YOU OR SOMEONE ELSE ENTERS IT, IT COULD CAVE IN. THEN IF SOME ONE WANTED TO SUE, THEY COULD, THE OWNER OF THE MINE AND YOU FOR GITTING THEM TO GO IN THERE. GRANTED IT WAS THERE STUPIDITY. MY SUGJESTION IS LEAVE IT ALONE, PUT A CACHE NEAR IT AND INFORM THE CACHER OF ITS PREASENTS AND LET THEM MAKE THE DECISION TO ENTER IT OR NOT. AND CHECK THE STATE WILDLIFE WEBSIGHT ON THAT PITICULAR BAT, WE HAVE A CAVE NEAR ME IN MASS. THAT HOUSES A BAT FROM NEAR YOUR AREA THAT IS PROTECTED AND ANY ONE COUGHT ENTERING WILL GO TO PRISON. AND ANOTHE ONE THEY BLOCKED OFF BECOUSE MORONS WOULD ENTER IT AND THEN GIT STUCK AND THEN THE FIRE DEP. WOULD HAVE TO GO IN AND GET THEM THEN SLAM THEM WITH BIG FINES. THINK VERY CAIRFULLY BEFOR PLACING ONE IN THERE... GENEGENE

I probably would have before, but not after I read the story of Ted the Caver! :lol:

:blink:

I first encountered a version of this story over a year ago, although it appeared on a website other than the one linked. There actually seem to be several websites in existence which push this story, or somewhat-revised or customized versions of it; all versions seem to be deliberately missing a page or two plus an ending and thus leave the reader hanging. These various versions of the story have been well-discussed on many caving websites and forums, a few rock climbing forums -- and even on some rather underground and clandestine urban exploring (UE) forums -- over the years. The general consensus is that this story, in one form or another, has been in circulation since the late 1970s, and is rather widely considered in the caving and climbing worlds to be a hoax. I will try to spend some time later today to go thru my browser bookmarks to try to find links to some of the debunking discussions of the many forms of this story on some of the caving forums; if I can find them, I will share them here!

Late postscript: Just remembered this... I believe that this fictional tale with the missing ending has also been discussed on the forums at the Black Flag Cafe (a well-known forum for mountain climbers and adventurers); am looking for the link now...

Kinda takes the fun away. :ph34r: I realize reading the story represents an hour or so of my life I won't get back :ph34r: but others should also have the opportunity of reading the story in its entirety so they can finally find out what happens to Ted the caver as I had to. ;)

Reading the story makes me want to go into your cave even more. :lol: Maybe it hooks up with Ted's Cave. :lol::ph34r:

That would be cool!!! :D

I'd go after that cache, but only with an H2S detector. H2S is a colorless gas that is the byproduct of decomposing organic material. We see it a lot coming from natural gas and oil wells. In concentrations over 10ppm you can smell it, but only for a second, as it temporarily kills the olifactory nerve. At 100ppm it can kill you in short order. It is rarely found in caves, sometimes found in mines. Bad Stuff. H2S is also known as sewer gas, stink damp, sour gas.

Don't get too confident with your H2S detector. As with any confined space, it's not necessarily what's in the air that kills you. Some heavy gasses puddle up in caves, forcing the oxygen out. People who enter an oxygen-deprived environment die instantly. It's not at all like holding your breath, either. An H2S detector is a good precaution, though.

Another problem I haven't seen mentioned yet is that bats have a unique ability to transmit rabies to people just by breathing the same air. Then, I guess it will be disabled while the bats are there? I'm no expert on bats, so I'm not sure if they come back to the same caves to sleep each day when they're not in hibernation.

Would I go in there? There was a time when I might, but I'd never crawl through a space too small to make a 180-degree turn and come back out head-first. I don't care if it does open up further on. I think I made a vow just after being born that I'd never do that again.