Watchlist

Keruso

Ditto what PastorDIC said. While a watchlist is useful for basic members, and I used mine heavily before we had bookmarks, it doesn't have much functionality. Bookmarks are customizable, like electing whether or not to receive notifications, and the ability to annotate WHY you are interested in the cache. You can do mass deletions, and even order pocket queries of all the caches on a bookmark list. Bookmarks are a watchlist on steroids.

I just checked, and I have three caches left on my watchlist: the first cache I ever found, a cache hidden by my daughter, and the Groundspeak Headquarters cache. These don't fit on any of my bookmark lists. Right now I have 352 caches bookmarked on 12 different bookmark lists.

Even though we have had a Premium membership for a long time, and even though we maintain numerous bookmark lists, both public and private, both Sue and I still employ watchlists extensively. And, it appears that many other Premium members do so as well. For example, our infamous Psycho Urban Cache #13 - Impossible! GiveUp Now!, which was published on 9/08/2006, or about 17 days ago, is a Premium Member only cache, and yet it is already on about 167 watchlists (in addition to any private bookmark lists that it appears on.)

Personally I am a basic member and I have very few caches on my watch list (about 5). I would not have a problem if the ability to watch a cache is removed and only folks who pay can use the "bookmark" feature to "watch" a cache/bug/coin. I can very easily go back and check the page on a regular basis and read the logs or whatever, I don't need the email notification.

ive got three caches on my watchlist that i will never do, but i have them there just to watch them and see who finds them. does anyone do that?

That's why they're fun - you can do what you like. I have the caches of my family members that I helped place, but are not listed under my account, on my list, as well as one in the area whose owner appears to be inactive, in case it needs maintenance. I am always tickled when someone finds any of those. There are many reasons one might watch a cache, permanently or temporarily. Just have fun!

=)

As others mentioned, I like to watch caches that I DNF'd to see if others find them after me. I also watch a couple hard caches near me to see if new cachers in the area start finding them. Thses are unlikely to be hunted by people just passing through and have already been found by the regular locals. I also like to watch caches where a TB I own was placed, in case there start to be logs about the TB being listed but not there.

i use watch list when my wife puts out a cache so i get emails when it is found. In most cases i am the one who put the cache together and helped hide it. I never log them as a find but i do watch to see what people think. another use for watch list is if there is a cache that is similar to one you want to put out you can watch it to see what people think.

Cheers!

Because I live in an area of Mississippi that is fairly off the beaten path, I use the watchlist to watch all the caches in my general area just to see who's traveling thru and to keep tabs on the caches. Also use it to watch a few that were really enjoyable for me to see the reaction of others that have found it.

Before I go on a geocaching trip, I look at the caches I might like to look for and put them on my watchlist. Then I use the watchlist to select what I want in my PQ. I also copy and paste it and send an e-mail to myself. When I get the PQ, I first of all send it to my iQue via Cachemate. Open it the GSAK and load all caches on our 76S and 76C and export it to MS S&T which I save and print it out. I look at the caches and select the ones I want to do and assign each a sequence number and name to each cache. I also assign the number to the watchlist as a master sheet of the caches we will do. I am 81 and the XYL is 80 and likes a printed copy which we put in a note book. When I want to check a cache before we leave I just click on the watchlist I saved and it bring it right up. When I get ready to log the caches I also use this clickable list to bring up the cache which I want to log. We use both the iQue and the 76C for routing and the 76S on the compass page. Probably not the most efficent method but it works for us. If we want to see the logs, we have that on the iQue. Dick, W7WT