Cache not published... but my travel bug is there ?

DyverDown

My travel bug Sir Robert Peel, was moved to Maxwell Lake cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...26-61175749ecf8

but when I click on the link to it, I receive a message saying "Sorry, you cannot view this cache listing until it has been published."

Anyone know what's up with this??? :laughing:

Is the cache gone?

Is there an error on Geocaching.com's end??

Is my bug MIA??

Hmmm....... :unsure:

DyverDown

It just means that the Tb has been listed as placed in a cache that hasn't be approved and listed yet. Most likely the person that had it most recently placed a new cache that isn't listed yet and has logged it in there (being the owner they can see the page even if it isn't approved).

I checked the cache using my site volunteer account. It was submitted in April, but the reviewer placed the cache on hold because it was way too close to an existing cache. Even though the owner lived just ten miles away, he apparently never retrieved the cache or followed up with the reviewer. The cache owner's last visit to Geocaching.com was in May.

I bet that the travel bug is still sitting at the coordinates for this unpublished cache, in the town of Hinton, Alberta.

This happens fairly often, usually with "vacation caches."

I checked the cache using my site volunteer account. It was submitted in April, but the reviewer placed the cache on hold because it was way too close to an existing cache. Even though the owner lived just ten miles away, he apparently never retrieved the cache or followed up with the reviewer. The cache owner's last visit to Geocaching.com was in May.

I bet that the travel bug is still sitting at the coordinates for this unpublished cache, in the town of Hinton, Alberta.

This happens fairly often, usually with "vacation caches."

That's annoying. How is that usually handled? Perhaps the OP could email the owner/placer to see if the TB can be retrieved.

Barring that, perhaps the OP could get the coordinates for the cache so he could place a request in the regional forums for help on getting the TB rescued from this non-approved (and probably never will be) cache. Plus if someone is willing to help out, they could clean up the geo-litter.

Edited by ThePropers

Careful about tossing out radical concepts like "clean up the geo-litter." Such bold statements will lead to accusations of "reviewer-sponsored theft" of the cache owner's property, and complaints about trodding upon other cache listing services, where the cache may have been listed.

For these reasons, volunteer cache reviewers do not assist in "geo-litter removal." They maybe will help out with just a travel bug inquiry, however. The OP could contact the Alberta cache reviewer to find out.

Well that is just crazy, that a cache that may never go active cannot have the coordinates revealed to me or anyone in the area....

How do I contact the Alberta cache reviewer to get the coordinates???? I would like to have my TB moved back into an active cache since he has already been lost once before.

HELLLPPPPP!!!! :huh:

Careful about tossing out radical concepts like "clean up the geo-litter." Such bold statements will lead to accusations of "reviewer-sponsored theft" of the cache owner's property, and complaints about trodding upon other cache listing services, where the cache may have been listed.

For these reasons, volunteer cache reviewers do not assist in "geo-litter removal." They maybe will help out with just a travel bug inquiry, however. The OP could contact the Alberta cache reviewer to find out.

Well that is just crazy, that a cache that may never go active cannot have the coordinates revealed to me or anyone in the area....
As was already said, it may be listed on another listing service. So "may never go active" is not necessarily correct.

How do I contact the Alberta cache reviewer to get the coordinates????
Look at other caches that have been published recently nearby. They will have a "published" log from the local reviewer.

How do I contact the Alberta cache reviewer to get the coordinates???? I would like to have my TB moved back into an active cache since he has already been lost once before.

HELLLPPPPP!!!! :(

It seems like Cache-tech has published some of the newer nearby caches and there are some active cachers that have caches near this one. (Very, very near actually :huh: ) Contact the reviewer and explain the situation and go from there. My brother had a TB in a similar situation in Oklahoma and all worked out well.

As was already said, it may be listed on another listing service. So "may never go active" is not necessarily correct.

In this particular case, not too difficult to check. Navicache is quite weak in Canada, only 134 listings in the whole country. Only 7 in Alberta, and all with placement dates of 2003 or earlier. Alberta's only terracache was placed less than a month ago (8/27/06), and is in Lesser Slave Lake Provincial Park, looks like about 30 miles NW of Edmonton.

Look at other caches that have been published recently nearby. They will have a "published" log from the local reviewer.

I'm pretty sure Cache tech (and more recently Cache Agent) cover the whole country :lol:

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

In this particular case, not too difficult to check. Navicache is quite weak in Canada, only 134 listings in the whole country. Only 7 in Alberta, and all with placement dates of 2003 or earlier. Alberta's only terracache was placed less than a month ago (8/27/06), and is in Lesser Slave Lake Provincial Park, looks like about 30 miles NW of Edmonton.

Ok, but to play devil's advocate... who's to say that a cache has to be listed on any of the popular listing sites? or that it even has to be online? Apperently there are letterboxes that are word of mouth and such.

To me there are two different but related things going on in this situation, one is about the Travler, the other is about the cache itself.

In my way of thinking when you pick up a traveler, you are basically agreeing to move the traveler to another location (a location it can be found by other cachers and move again!). You should not keep the traveler, and you should not damage, destroy, or take the traveler hostage. There seems to be no way anyone can recover the TB :lol: , it would be like if the person that moved it to this cache had just throw the TB in the trash!

As for the cache, well people cache list their caches whereever they choose. I probably won't ever know about or look for it its listed on 'billybobsgeocaches.com', but if the owner is ok with that, then its ok with me. The only problem is if billybob gives up caching and doesn't retreive his toys, he's likely created some specifically location litter. Even worse is that noone but billybob knows where it is to try and clean it up. :lol:

Unfortunately this is one of the ways TBs meet their end. Placed in an unapproved cache, cache never gets approved. Bugs and cache never get picked up. Happens quite a bit with vacation caches. People love to hoard bugs for some long distance trip, plant their vacation cache, go home, write it up and discover that it's not going to be listed.

I will suggest to them that they contact a local cacher to do bug rescue and cache removal. Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't.

In the UK it has been known for our reviewers to ask for volunteers near the location of the unapproved cache to go on a TB rescue mission - presumably divulging the coords of the unapproved cache in private.

Why not get in touch with the reviewer in the area and see what they can do.

thats sad that your TB has to end like that, i hope that you can work something out with the local revewier.

one thing that you could do is ask the cache owner what the co'ods are and then foward them to another cacher in the area. sure its nots too legal but it could help.

Edited by James Lobb

In the UK it has been known for our reviewers to ask for volunteers near the location of the unapproved cache to go on a TB rescue mission - presumably divulging the coords of the unapproved cache in private.

Thanks for the idea. One of our bugs has been languishing in an unplublished cache since last February, and the only thing I've tried (unsuccessfully) was to email the cacher who dropped it there. I didn't know what else to try, but this is a good idea.

Thanks for the idea. One of our bugs has been languishing in an unplublished cache since last February, and the only thing I've tried (unsuccessfully) was to email the cacher who dropped it there. I didn't know what else to try, but this is a good idea.

HC, you might want to check out the mdgps site for help with your bug. They even have a rescue section. Gotta be a member (free) to see/use it though.

This thread would probably be better if moved to the TB section. Got more experts there to offer suggestions and this really isn't a gc.com issue.

Perhaps you could contact the cache owner.

There's a tricky way to check this... :)

But it's always advisable to check with the local reviewer.

You cannot see who's the owner of an unpublished cache.

The Hermit Crabs made what was possible: To contact the last cacher that dropped the TB in that unpublished cache (which is 99,99% the owner).

Edited by SUp3rFM & Cruella

There's a tricky way to check this... :)

But it's always advisable to check with the local reviewer.

You cannot see who's the owner of an unpublished cache.

The Hermit Crabs made what was possible: To contact the last cacher that dropped the TB in that unpublished cache (which is 99,99% the owner).

Right; I tried contacting the cacher who dropped it (on the assumption that he's the owner of the unpublished cache), but didn't hear back. So I took the suggestion from earlier in the thread and contacted the reviewer for that area. Maybe everything will all work out. :rolleyes: