caching abroad

bones1

hello folks could anybody help us,we have already cancelled a caching holiday to ireland.as we really dont know how to find where a cache is there. as we use memory map with the downloaded red flags here so its relativly easy.we have of course a list of all the caches in ireland but with a road atlas it seemed impossible.we are about to go to france and the same applies so no caching for us unless you could point us in the right technical direction.patandjeff with the two corgis and lots of rubber gloves=bones1.

Step 1) Buy a cheap original of Mapsource World or Roads & Recreation.........

Step 2) See if the country has the equivalent of Streetmap.co.uk

Step 3) Download likely caches and input the co-ords of local point of interest waypoints gleemed from various websites

Step 4) When you get there buy a cheap map. Marry up the local points of interest you've input with the map and work out how to get to the cache

One or all of these works everytime. Depends how determined you are........

Ali makes friends all over the world..........I've made none, but find loads of caches!!!

See bottom of page........

Edited by Nick & Ali

Hope these links help you out a little

http://www.geocaching-france.com

Look for Outils then click on Geo-Carto then click on the map for an up to date map of french caches.

If you know the town/area your staying by goto this site to get the coord's of it and run a PQ from them to find alll the caches within that area.

http://www.heavens-above.com

Look for Anonymous Users click on Select your location from our huge database click on france then enter your town.

Or just google earth. Hope you have a great trip and find a couple of caches.

hello folks could anybody help us,we have already cancelled a caching holiday to ireland.as we really dont know how to find where a cache is there. as we use memory map with the downloaded red flags here so its relativly easy.we have of course a list of all the caches in ireland but with a road atlas it seemed impossible.we are about to go to france and the same applies so no caching for us unless you could point us in the right technical direction.patandjeff with the two corgis and lots of rubber gloves=bones1.

Why don't you use Memory Map in France (like I do?). Excellent 1:25000 maps are available.

In Ireland I used GPS Tuner for electronic mapping.

Edited by Happy Humphrey

It's amazing how anyone over here manages to find any caches at all B) You guys are getting soft if you depend on maps as much as that :(

Have you got a copy of Mapsource? I can supply coords for 2 PQs that will get you every cache on the island of Ireland. Upload those into Mapsource and it will give you an idea where to go in conjunction with a good map (This map is the best one I've found).

Get to the general location of the cache and your arrow will take you the rest of the way. You never know you might even enjoy getting back to basics :D:huh:B)

We managed successful caching in Spain using a standard road atlas as our map (4.5cm:1km), and downloading all the Spanish caches (just over 800) into GSAK. Using my Palm Vx I was able, via a neat little cable, to import my co-ords into Cachemate on the Palm from my GPS, and then find the nearest caches. The same link was used to upload cache co-ords into my GPS.

From then on it was plain sailing, except when you found that the nearest cache was 56km away :huh:

Edited by walkergeoff

When we eventually get with the program and move up to getting all (or any) of the extra gadgets/maps, we may think this is an issue.

In the meantime, we've never had any problem with just the GPS and the paper printouts - it's really not that difficult even without a decent map. It just adds to the amusement!