Is this ok to do?

evelbug

I am planning on placing a cache with a token and wooden nickel theme. The cache will initally be stocked with my signature poker chips. I was considering placing an envelope or bag in the cache where people could leave tokens for me as opposed to general trade. (Where as general trade tokens would be in the rest of the cache.) Is doing something like this good ettiquite, or am I beening greedy?

Thanks,

Bug

I see nothing wrong with a container reserved for the owner. After all, they are providing the location, the geocache, and their personal collection to share with others. I see nothing greedy about asking cachers to leave a coin for you the cache owner.

What I envision happening is"other" greedy cachers raiding your envelope for their own collection. Keep in mind that a large portion of cachers never stick to a cache theme.

I think this is perfectly ok I carry dog tags that i leave in caches as a signature item... i intend the

cache owner to get them but sometimes people trade them out ..... but my intent is to leave them for the cache owner as a "I was here thanks thing" you idea isnt any different....its kinda nice as a cache owner

to get something from the visitors i think...

I have a Wooden Nickel with our team name and home town on it and have been leaving them in caches since just after I got started in this. What I try to do is leave one for the owner the first time I do a cache by that person, and also leave one for the next finder. I specify this in the log, and hope that people will respect that. I like to leave one for the owner as a "thank you" for placing the cache, and I still like the next finder to get one, too.

Why not go with a two-part cache, maybe partition an ammo box. The larger part can be open for general use, the smaller part with a mailbox type slot and a small padlock. This would have to be clearly marked as being for items cachers wish the owner to get.

One word of caution--- there are some low class persons who, because they don't agree with the idea, may deposit some trash or other items in the slot. Be ready for this when you "check your mail".

I see nothing wrong with asking cachers to leave you a "momento sig coin or tag" as a thank you if you are a collector. To ask this just to gain swag or trade items, however, strikes me as wrong.

Well, like it or not, I placed the cache today, and I'm anxiously waiting for it to get published. I did place an envelope in there, and posted the following on the cache listing and in the cache:

There is an envelope in with the log book. If you want to leave an extra token in there for me, I would appreciate it but don’t feel at all obliged to. If given the choice, I’d rather you trade with other cachers who find this cache.

Best case scenario, I get to trade some tokens with other cachers. Most likely scenario, no one puts anything in my envelope and all the tokens I initially loaded into the cache are gone within a week. Worst case scenario, people call me greedy, self-serving, and other names and I pull the envelope out of the cache.

All in all, I have faith in the overall goodness of the caching community.

I was searching for a completly different subject but ran across this and read all the posts.. on my phone.. I'm curious to know how this has turned out. Its a great social experiment to see how people behave when nobody is looking. Did people leave an extra nickel for your collection? Did people dip into your stash? did people come to this cache more for the trade or for sake of logging a cache?

I was searching for a completly different subject but ran across this and read all the posts.. on my phone.. I'm curious to know how this has turned out. Its a great social experiment to see how people behave when nobody is looking. Did people leave an extra nickel for your collection? Did people dip into your stash? did people come to this cache more for the trade or for sake of logging a cache?

I live less than 2 miles from said cache. Said cacher hasn't logged into the website in over 6 months, nor logged a find on a cache since 2008. I do remember talking to him via email (probably in 2008), and him saying "life got in the way" or something to that effect. Sounds like the cache is in need of maintenance. I seriously doubt the "trade request" was adhered to, although I haven't personally visited that cache since 2006! I would say that in general, trade requests are almost never adhered to, and the longer a cache sits in the woods, the more the value of it's contents approach zero. That's TWU's theoreom. :)

The last note by the owner.

December 18, 2006 by evelbug (225 found)

I was in the area today, so I thought I'd check in on the cache. Everthing is in place and good to go. The park has been cleaned up very well. I got rid of the "Tokens for the cache owner" envelope. I'd rather things just get left in the cache itself. I am by no means out of the token collecting business, but it's more fun to find them in other caches. Thanks to all the people who did leave me things.

I'm working on some new designs for my 2007 poker chips and I'll put some in here when they are ready to go.

Best case scenario, I get to trade some tokens with other cachers. Most likely scenario, no one puts anything in my envelope and all the tokens I initially loaded into the cache are gone within a week. Worst case scenario, people call me greedy, self-serving, and other names and I pull the envelope out of the cache.

Nobody called you those names! You came here and asked our opinion. Some of us told you that the idea was greedy and self-serving.

Don't ask if you don't want an answer! :D

Edit to add: I hate it when folks reply without reading the whole thread... you got me on this one! :)

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler