Placement of some caches

MouseFart

A few caches in my area that I have decided not to search for have been placed in very busy parks where there is always alot of people mingling in the areas. I have gone to the general areas of the coordinates and most appear that a good deal of searching would have to be conducting to locate the cache. A few I have actually made an attempt at but within just a few minutes of looking around, a crowd seems to be more concerned about your snooping. I think if I had continued to search these until found, when I left the cache would be gone in a matter of minutes.

A few caches in my area that I have decided not to search for have been placed in very busy parks where there is always alot of people mingling in the areas. I have gone to the general areas of the coordinates and most appear that a good deal of searching would have to be conducting to locate the cache. A few I have actually made an attempt at but within just a few minutes of looking around, a crowd seems to be more concerned about your snooping. I think if I had continued to search these until found, when I left the cache would be gone in a matter of minutes.

Just another great geocaching challenge

Most micros hidden in public places, I really don't want at all. I have finally made the leap and have started using my "ignore" button. If it is a micro, with a generic description (i.e. film canister hidden under park bench), I just ignore them. Even when I find them I am disappointed, now - I don't even know they exist.

Most micros hidden in public places, I really don't want at all. I have finally made the leap and have started using my "ignore" button. If it is a micro, with a generic description (i.e. film canister hidden under park bench), I just ignore them. Even when I find them I am disappointed, now - I don't even know they exist.

:laughing::laughing: !Bravo! :laughing:

If we did every goofy micro near our home, our "numbers" would be about twice as high. But we don't care about the silly micros or the stupid quest for high numbers. We'd rather do 1 "meat and potatoes" cache that takes you on an hour's hike through the forest to get to it than all the Wally World micros in the county.

Edited by TinyMoon & The Pumpkin King

Luckilly, I don't have to worry about that in my area. There aren't a lot of cruddy caches in Northern Idaho/Western Montana mostly due to the "terrain"....

It seems most posters so far have solved their problem by not going to the caches they don't like. I don't go to the caches I don't like either, but why should you care about it.

BTW, I recently found a cache (a nano, no less) in a tourist area. It is ALWAYS busy. The cache location is in absolutely plain site of vendors, bands, jugglers, and tourists out the wazoo. ALWAYS! It has had 420 logged finds to date, the first in June, 2004. Maybe this is the exception, maybe not; but I've been to a lot of these types of caches that have only been around for a year or two and many finds.

Also, the comments about micros appear to be off-topic. The OP mention caches in parks. Previous threads have shown me that caches should be placed in parks and on mountain tops so that they don't have to be (gasp) micros.

Quitting here so I don't have to edit this post.

A few I have actually made an attempt at but within just a few minutes of looking around, a crowd seems to be more concerned about your snooping. I think if I had continued to search these until found, when I left the cache would be gone in a matter of minutes.

It is surprising just how long some of the caches last that are placed in highly visible locations.

I have been brought to so many caches where is it possible that someone can walk up on me before I can react correctly that I have changed my policies a bit over the years. It started on a trip from Seattle to Las Vegas in December of 2002 where in one stretch 6 of 10 caches were placed exactly where people would be. And the people were there and I had to leave without searching. That got me mad – major waste of my time.

Then there have been, numbering somewhere in the hundreds, sites where I am fully exposed to 5 to 10 residences. You can’t tell from the cache description just how exposed you will be when you start your hunt and you can’t tell if someone is looking out a window.

I have solved these problems by going ahead with the hunt anyway. If the cache owner is going to hang us out there like that then they should be prepared to replace a few containers. I won’t search if someone is sitting right next to the cache but I’m going search if people are in the general area. I will use whatever stealth tactics I can to look like I’m doing something legitimate and uninteresting or I will try to be as invisible as possible.

This sounds kind of gruff. I actually do my best to avoid detection but there will never again be 6 out 10 caches where I will walk away without a search.

They sound like good rainy-day caches. If you don't mind getting a little wet.

Or maybe 5:00-am caches. If you don't mind getting up a little early.

We had actually put out a couple of micro caches in areas of high muggle activity. On one of them we encouraged the finder to go for it no matter who was there and if someone asked, then tell them about geocaching. That one went missing after only a few months but i don't think it was because of a cacher being watched while looking for it. The other is at a very nice travel stop that welcomes visitors to Texas. We set it up in front of the parking area knowing it could be a challenge to grab. We did give a pretty good hint so as to help with a quicker find. That thing lasted over a year, until Sept 05,,, when Rita got it! :D

By the way, if i think its obvious that the hider knew their cache was placed where muggle activity abounds, then i usually don't worry as much about being seen while searching. In other words, if i think it's obvious that you knew about this muggle hazard when you placed it then i know that you know there is a better chance that it will be muggled. In a case like this, i'll try to be stealthy but if i drive all the way out to find your cache and that's not possible, then i'm gonna try to grab it regardless of who might see me. :D

One other thing you need to consider is that some people are physically unable to get to caches that aren't super accessable. My father loves to Geocache with me but he has Parkinsons pretty bad so we are confined to searching in public parks, etc. We've actually gotten very good about searching when there are lots of people about. Holding the GPS to your ear like a cell phone when people look, pretending we dropped his cane while we look under the bench, etc. Its great fun. Like someone before said, if you don't like that kind of cache - don't find them. My personal preference is for a cache you have to hike, scramble and climb for but that doesn't mean those kinds are best for everyone. Just my opinion.

Joe

Kind of like a dorky james bond.

I just got a visual of a British gentleman, dressed to the nines in a tuxedo, stepping out of a custom Austin Healey, putting his Walther PPK in it's shoulder holster, getting the hammer snagged on his pocket protector. <_<

I had a regular cache in our bigest park.The park dept had to remove alot of bushes and trees so the local police could see into the park better.I removed that cache and placed a micro.I realize that the park has alot of people in it most of the time.I am prepaired to replace the cache if it is muggled.I want cachers to find and log it.I replaced the full log paper while the park was packed.I Just walked up and acted like I owned the place.I wasnt worried about being seen buy the people walking by.I would have told them about GEO CACHING.Hoping to get them interested in this great hobby.Nobody questioned me and the cache is still there.

Edited by halffast

Caches with high muggle traffic haven't really bothered us too much. Since I usually have two little kids with me I can get away with a lot. Either people don't pay any attention to what we're doing, or they notice us but assume the kids are looking for bugs or something. Maybe you can rent a kid from a neighbor for a while to go hit those muggle infested caches! :ph34r: