Trackable and nontrackable versions of the same geocoin?

res2100

Are people making both trackable and non-trackable versions of the same geocoin?

I've done several trades for my personal geocoin and also others for other peoples personal coins. In 4 of the cases the coins I have received were non-trackable, although the impression I got when making the trade was that they were all trackable. 3 of these have trackable icons for their personal coins or some have a code on the coin which has a 6 digit code with a prefix that would make one think it is trackable when looking at it (I see people doing this more often now). One of them even says "Trackable at Geocaching.com" but yet it has no tracking number or id of any kind on the geocoin.

Now each of these coins is nice and I would have made the trade anyways, regardless of whether or not it was trackable as they are nice coins. However I do have to wonder if some may be misrepresenting their coins, either consciously or not and if they are making one version for selling and another non-trackable version for trading.

I am not trying to accuse anyone of anything, but just something I have observed lately and wondering what others think or if they noticed the same thing.

I haven't heard of this, but I don't colelct personal coins unless I've met the cacher in person (generally speaking).

As for the coins - I don't care much about tracking since the ones I keep never move anyway.

But to your question, no - I haven't heard of this either.

I have run into this "problem" as of late myself. I see that some collectors have my LE coin and it says non-trackable very rare in their trading list on it. I never made untrackables of that coin. Here is the deal. I have found out that when a coin is minted they make about 10 proofs of each coin. After the coin has sold the manufacturer of the coin sells or trades the proofs as well. I have witnessed this first hand up at geobash. I personally don't think they should have been released but they were and there is nothing that can be done about it now.

Duane

NOLEFAN9399

We had our Cog&Gil AZ personal geocoin made both trackable on gc.com and non trackabe. Trackable--50 with a PC prefix for the personal geocoin icon. That was just before custom icons on personal geocoins was allowed. Non trackable--250 with a AZ prefix since our geocoin had an Arizona theme. Both versions are the same except as mentioned above. In addition, the trackables include "Trackable at Geocaching.com" on the obverse. The AZ example can be viewed at azgeocachersclub.com

I have run into this "problem" as of late myself. I see that some collectors have my LE coin and it says non-trackable very rare in their trading list on it. I never made untrackables of that coin. Here is the deal. I have found out that when a coin is minted they make about 10 proofs of each coin. After the coin has sold the manufacturer of the coin sells or trades the proofs as well. I have witnessed this first hand up at geobash. I personally don't think they should have been released but they were and there is nothing that can be done about it now.

Duane

NOLEFAN9399

Check your contract to see if this was allowed. Also, are you saying the actual manufacturer sold/traded your coin or do you mean the company you placed the order with?