Tracking Time Aztec coin

kent1915

Most sales on e-bay are not scammers. They are people who bought from the original distributor and are living in a free market society. If you read the advertisement, they will say whether they are unactivated or whether you need to adopt them. I would estimate that almost 99% of all geocoins sold on E-bay are unactivated so therefore you can rest assured that you are not buying hot goods. Having purchased dozens of geocoins myself, I can say that I have NEVER been unhappy with a purchase off of e-bay.

The other thing to remember about ebay, or any other auction site (there are other auction sites than ebay, as strange as that might seem ;)), is that the final price is usually not the "fault" of the seller; it's the fault of the buyers. If there weren't people willing to pay two, three or more times the original price for something, the sellers couldn't sell it for that much. You can't call the medium of exchange a rip-off just because *you* (or I, for that matter) don't want to pay the allegedly-inflated prices. I will say, however, that it is amazing to me that people will pay extra on ebay for geocoins that are still available, for less, from the original issuer. My comments above notwithstandinbg, P.T. Barnum was right :)

There are many factors which will go into my decision to purchase a coin. Once I have decided I even want a coin, then the issue becomes:

- Availability

- Convenience

- Level of Desirability on my part

eBay can really help with this. In another area that I collect, I see something I want and just bid what I am willing to pay -- if I win that's great, if not I just wait until another opportunity arises.

Many folks have paid $25-$40 for one of my Geobones on eBay -- there is one there at the moment ending in 40 minutes for $18 (no... I am NOT the seller and no....I do NOT have any left) -- this proves that in time you can always get something at a good price if you want it enough. (now we can argue - what is a good price for a Moun10Bike v1 ;) )

The other thing is that sometimes sellers lose money on ebay.

I purchased January, February & March signal coins for less than they orginally sold for. I purchased one trackable coin for like $2.50 because of a listing error the seller made.

You also see a fair number of coins with a $10 or so starting bid + shipping where they dont sell. The seller then still has fees to pay.

So like any auction site it goes both ways there are bargins to be had for the sellers and buyers.

Yikes. Didn't mean to start a thread bashing ebay. We have just had a problem in my neck of the woods with coins getting boosted from caches and then ironically coins similar being listed on ebay and I don't want to encourage that, know what I mean? Yes, ebay serves a good purpose and not saying sellers are scammers; the scam is in reference to stolen coins being sold. That is it. But thanks for the input!

I paid about $25 on eBay for it. There are few coins that I really want this much -- this is one.

Man, you shoulda let me know, we could've met secretly at Edworthy Park for a swap! I think that I have about three traders ... maybe I should 'Bay them!!! :laughing:

Edited by nicolo

e-bay is a rip-off

Having personally bought hundreds of items from dozens of different sellers on eBay, I can confidently say you don't know what you are talking about.

An unknowledgeable buyer can be ripped off on ebay, but is that ebay's fault or the buyer's?

As a non geocoin example, I am an astronomy enthusiast. Telescopes are expensive, so I thought I'd start by looking on ebay for a used one.

I found them... most of them already bid to prices well above the MSRP of the same telescope or the new model in the same line. This tells me that there are a bunch of telescope shoppers who didn't bother to find out how much a used telescope *SHOULD* cost. In the end, I bought mine new because it was cheaper than ebay.

The high ebay price is the bidders' faults though, not ebay's.

I actually pointed out the stupid price on ebay, and got threats and hate-mail back saying, among other things that I don't know what I'm talking about. scary stuff.

Where people DO get ripped off on ebay (and on-line generally) is in shipping costs.

Its all about supply and demand when the coins sell out then there is more of a demand then supply then the price goes up if they are willing to pay that much let them, I paid 23 summing for my tracking time on eBay it was the first coin I ever bought I did not no much about the forums I dont feel I got ripped off thats just the price that they were going for.

Its all about supply and demand

This coin is a perfect example of that. There were around 1,500 Tracking Time coins made, which is three times the volume of many other coins. That may seem like a lot, but since it is such an outstanding piece of artwork, the demand is far greater than the supply. Even with that quantity, it will likely be harder to get one of these coins than a coin with less than a third of the mintage.

I wish I had bought more than two! I already turned down one trade offer for my spare, and won't let it go except for something special.

I wish I had bought more than two! .... won't let it go except for something special.

Same here! :o

Any Mountainbike v3 offers? :lol:

I'd have to say that the Tracking Time coin is my all time favorite and most cherished coin in my collection.

Followed closely by the recently aquired (from the man himself) "Johnny Lacey Old Geezer 06"

Thanks Johnny!! :o

D-man :)

Edited by gridlox

I wish I had bought more than two! I already turned down one trade offer for my spare, and won't let it go except for something special.

I bought three of them, kept one for myself, stuck one in a drawer and (foolishly) stuck the third in a cache, with a label saying that I thought it was really cool and people should pass it around to share. A guy picked it up and hung onto it for three months. Repeated proddings loosened it, unfortunately, he gave it to another guy who's had it since early July and hasn't responded to emails asking that the coin be put in a cache.

I bought three of them, kept one for myself, stuck one in a drawer and (foolishly) stuck the third in a cache, with a label saying that I thought it was really cool and people should pass it around to share. A guy picked it up and hung onto it for three months. Repeated proddings loosened it, unfortunately, he gave it to another guy who's had it since early July and hasn't responded to emails asking that the coin be put in a cache.

This note goes on all of my traveling coin's decription:

THIS IS A TRAVELING COIN!! Do not add this to your collection! If you are logging this coin as part of someone's personal collection then it is stolen!! Please give them 1000 lashes with a wet noodle!!

May not deter much if someone really wanted to keep it, but at least people would know they theived it if they showed it off in their personal collection.

D-man :lol:

I'm quite sure I could never have managed to trade for a mystery coin without the trade costing at least what i paid in legal tender on ebay - i was very happy for the opportunity to bid. 'trading' geocoins is nothingmorethan using another currency and an very inflationary one at that.

oh and I have a tracking time available so it's not an off topic post after all :anicute: