Do you take a GeoCoin with an unknown mission?

ic3scrap3r

Say you find a cache and in it is a geocoin that didn't show up when you last checked the website. The coin has nothing with it to indicate its mission or even if it is activated.

Do you take it and then check the site to see what its mission is and help as best you can? Or, do you leave it in case you are not "heading to Georgia" or going to the "Mississipp River" or whatever its unknown mission is?

Now, you can always place it in a busy cache a bit closer to its destination after you know the mission, and you've helped it on its way a bit.

Is this OK?

Take it...

Yep, that's what I would do. The vast majority of geocoins don't have anything attached to them that tell a goal. In fact, I can't remember ever seeing a geocoin with a goal attached. Well, I had a "fake" one, once: a replica of the real coin :huh: The vast majority of geocoin owners are happy just to see their coin moving, even if they aren't exactly going where they want them to go. Better to take it, look it up, see if maybe it's listed in a different cache or something, even write to the owner, than to leave it.

I would take the coin and move it along. Most of my coins that are in the wild do not have goals because I want people to enjoy them and not worry about moving them to a particular destination.

Perhaps I should add here that I don't want anyone to keep the coin but merely to keep it traveling from cache to cache.

Edited by LadeBear68

I usually prefer my coins to be moved. Just so I know they are alive and kicking. A new phenomena is 'discovering' coins in a cache, which I hate. That wasn't the purpose of placing them in caches for me.

Hey, at least when I get a "Discovered" notice in my e-mail, I know where our coin is :) Speaking purely for myself, discovering is a great idea, especially at events. It lets a lot of people have some form of record of seeing the coin. Only one person can take it home to put it in a cache, but others can appreciate it and leave a little note. We get a lot of "Thanks for letting us see this neat coin", or "Found it in the cache but decided to leave it for the next cacher. Nice coin :-)" in our e-mail. We're cool with that ;)

I usually prefer my coins to be moved. Just so I know they are alive and kicking. A new phenomena is 'discovering' coins in a cache, which I hate. That wasn't the purpose of placing them in caches for me.

What if I were to happen on a cache with 3 coins in it, not that I ever will in my area? Wouldn't it be best to take one coin and leave the other two for other cachers? And if I am gonna leave them, but had the chance to take them, shouldn't I be allowed to "discover" the coin? After all, I had the chance to take them into my possesion but thought I'd be fait to the other cachers in the area. I don't think I should take all three to move along.

What if I were to happen on a cache with 3 coins in it, not that I ever will in my area? Wouldn't it be best to take one coin and leave the other two for other cachers? And if I am gonna leave them, but had the chance to take them, shouldn't I be allowed to "discover" the coin? After all, I had the chance to take them into my possesion but thought I'd be fait to the other cachers in the area. I don't think I should take all three to move along.

Yes!

I droped three activated coins in a single cache at the same time. One Person came along and took all three, (they are all still moving, I think), but it seems kind of greedy to do that.

Exactly! "Discovering" a coin/TB is a good thing.