Geocoin Hotel (or graveyard ! )

The discovering of a coin/tb came about recently with the number of events occuring. People would find it and drop it back into the event. The 'discovered it' when the person did not take it to move on was a single email instead of 2. We have a large number of coins and tb's roaming around. When they go to an event it is much easier on our email to get one log rather than two. Save the second for the person who actually moves it.

As a Geocoin is a Travel bug, should it not be picked up and moved along before it can be logged. I would like to know other Geocachers thoughts on this one...........have I missed the point somewhere along the lines :anitongue: ?

I like the idea of being able to discover a TB or a coin (especially a coin where folk like to collect the icon) - and sometimes the pleasure is in the finding and seeing rather than grabbin and moving on at some point. Sometimes I think it is better to leave it if you can't help it on it's mission, something I think more people should do! So this gives the option of 'logging' your find in one hit withouth being tempted to move it in the wrong direction or keep hold of it for too long.

From the title of this thread, I thought the proposal was for a specific graveyard cache for coins similar to GCD653 but I suppose as it's technically a virtual this is not possible....?

Whilst the original idea of geocoins may have been to use them as a rather superior type of TB, these days many don't travel at all, spending most of their time in their owners' pockets, or being displayed and logged by others at Events.

Personally, we like to see a coin "in the wild": That way, we feel we've made a bit of an effort to find it. With this in mind, our most recent cache has been set up with a "resident" geocoin inside, with attached tag saying "Please don't remove this coin from this cache". The coin's name is related to the cache's name and so we hope cachers will respect our wishes and enjoy the search to "discover" the coin without having to move it on any mission.

MrsB

I think the OP probably refers to a "Geocoin Hotel" that I visited a little while ago. It seems to be used by the locals to let others in the are log the coins they have found. I wasn't sure about this at first - especially when the coin I left there (one of our own) seemed to remain there for some time, being "discovered" but left for the next visitor... But the cache is open to all, not just the locals, and there is nothing to stop a more remote visitor taking a couple of coins to deposit further afield - as I did. :anitongue: But I also respected the owner's wishes and left quite a few coins in place. So no great problem really. :tired:

And as the Blorenges have said - nice to see them out "in the wild" at least! :huh:

Edited by milvus-milvus

Personally, we like to see a coin "in the wild": That way, we feel we've made a bit of an effort to find it. With this in mind, our most recent cache has been set up with a "resident" geocoin inside, with attached tag saying "Please don't remove this coin from this cache". The coin's name is related to the cache's name and so we hope cachers will respect our wishes and enjoy the search to "discover" the coin without having to move it on any mission.

MrsB

That is a really neat idea!

I recently dropped off a couple of coins in local caches to start them on their way and attract visitors to the caches - they were both gone within hours! One has moved a bit (although not on mission) the other appears to have been passed to someone else and has not been placed. Another coin that was in one of the caches was also removed pdq and as far as I can tell is now completely off mission.

I still like to believe in the fun of the game and have put a few coins out into the wild - none have disapeared (yet) but few people seem to bother with missions or even moving them on in a reasonable time.

For the last few months I've left a proportion of my geocoin collection in a cache (

Thie Tashtee Vannin), with the instructions to just "discover" them and leave in place. This seems to work well, as it allows people to have a look at the coins, log them and get the icon, having found them in the wild (rather than just being presented with them at an event). There are 11 in the cache at the moment, along with a printed list of tracking numbers.

Obviously, the cache is very well hidden!

HH

MrsB

That is a really neat idea!

its nuts!

If the coin/TB has a mission, do you really want to take it away, if it's against its mission quest?

G

edit.

Thats provideing there's a mission attached.

If it has no mission attached, you have no idea!

I usually research a cache in advance and know what to expect in it, but even if I find a bug or a coin and take it uncertain of its mission I do my best to play along and keep it on track or theme. I don't think a lot do, you only have to see some bug pages where they ask for photos and so on only to see no photos in the last 10 or so logs. Most of my recently release coins have a goal sheet with them even if it's only to keep it moving or within the UK or whatever......

In most cases I would move the coin on, however, I’m all for the ‘Discovering’ option because I only log coins that I have found in the wild rather than at events (it’s just how I choose to play the game).

It makes life simpler for me in those cases were I can’t help the coin in its mission or there’s more than one coin in the cache. It means I can also get the icon for the coins that I’ve found in the wild but left behind for the next finder :laughing: .