Blood Donor Cache

unicyclist

I regularly give blood and platelets at my local blood donation building. I was thinking about maybe you have to give blood, or if you cant (for health and religious reasons) just to ask the front secretary for the "geocaching code” The container would be hidden on the blood buildings land.

Since Blood Donation helps other people, would this be ok?

It’s not really a business so I don’t think it would be soliciting

I regularly give blood and platelets at my local blood donation building. I was thinking about maybe you have to give blood, or if you cant (for health and religious reasons) just to ask the front secretary for the "geocaching code” The container would be hidden on the blood buildings land.

Since Blood Donation helps other people, would this be ok?

It’s not really a business so I don’t think it would be soliciting

I wouldn't like it. It sounds like the point of the cache is to get people to come to the blood bank. If there is a reason to visit that location other than to give blood, like a nice park or cool piece of outdoor artwork, then maybe. If bringing people to the blood bank is the only reason then it's a cache with an agenda and those are not allowed.

I believe you have the best of intentions, but I think this will be your obstacle:

Solicitations are also off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#commercial

Good for you for donating blood regularly!

From the guidelines:

Commercial Caches / Caches that Solicit

Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services.

Solicitations are also off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

So I'd have to say it probably would not be allowed.

I'm just starting my first TB with the blood donation theme. You can check him out on my profile if you wish. His name is "RC the Blood Hound Dog" and he wants to spread the message to "Give Life - Give Blood" across the US. He'd love to have his picture taken along his route, but especially with people donating blood!

I'm just starting my first TB with the blood donation theme. You can check him out on my profile if you wish. His name is "RC the Blood Hound Dog" and he wants to spread the message to "Give Life - Give Blood" across the US. He'd love to have his picture taken along his route, but especially with people donating blood!

This would be the more appropriate way to accomplish this type of goal.

It was actually a locationless cache that ran until the end of their run.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...36-dd63b21062ec

A new version would basically be the same thing, which is why it would not fly. Sort of a "been there, done that" thing.

That may be the one I was thinking of, but I thought it was archived (or denied) because of the solicitation clause, causing a small forum ruckus. Of course, I'm getting old and it's been a while.

Na, that's just an old cache. I'm not even sure if that guideline existed back then.

I remember it because if you look down at the bottom you will see a log from me. From what I recall, it started out as a virtual. I remember it because I had cat scratch fever a couple of years before that time and I was told that having that made my blood unacceptable. I was actually surprised and was glad they happened to ask the question. I did not know it was converted to a locationless, but that conversion does make sense.

FYI... don't try to log it now. As with all locationless caches, it is locked.

It was actually a locationless cache that ran until the end of their run.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...36-dd63b21062ec

A new version would basically be the same thing, which is why it would not fly. Sort of a "been there, done that" thing.

That may be the one I was thinking of, but I thought it was archived (or denied) because of the solicitation clause, causing a small forum ruckus. Of course, I'm getting old and it's been a while.

There was a small forum ruckus when a cache listing was archived because it was soliciting donations for the tsunami in Thailand & Indonesia a couple of years ago -- was that the one you were thinking of?

Edit: adding some "ruckus" links:

the cache: Asia Quake and Tsunamis Appeal (GCMBRD)

Beg Cache: How did this get through?

Appeal Cache: the uproar about Piggy's Tsunami relief

Geocachers Supporting The Tsunami Relief Effort

Charity Caches Hypothetical Rules: should we consider charity caches & how?

Edited by the hermit crabs

Check http://www.Waymarking.com and see if there is a "Blood Donation Sites" waymark. I think this would be a better way to accomplish what you're looking to do. If there isn't, then use the Waymarking Forum to propose the category and follow the category creation guidelines to set one up.

EDIT: Doh, I mix that up sometimes. URL fixed, thanks Quiggle.

Edited by ju66l3r