Garmin 60csx

tomcatuk

Ok, one of my very few posts here..... :D I am considering the new 60csx buying from the UK, can anyone recommend a dealer to buy from, also the mapping software.... how does it work, does the whole lot load onto a memory card or do you only load the area you want, and what type of map is it, ie a sort of streetmap display or the OS one...

If anyone knows of any images or a good site that explains all this would be appreciated... or if you fancy taking the time to explain it would be very welcome, my little yellow etrek has died unfortunately and thought if I was going to upgrade why not go mad.... :o:D

Steve

When I got my 76CSX cheapest was http://www.gpsw.co.uk/

If you want just UK maps I'd suggest Garmins TopoGB which are great from "off road" walking and geocaching

If you want Europe look for City Navigator

Buy a bigger MicroSD card (Sandisk 1G readily available but 2G due soon - DONT GET THE EXTREMEs) my 1G gets 90% of the UK Topo on it ..

For 60C** (and 76C**) family stuff look here http://home.houston.rr.com/gpsr/

My 60CSx was supplied with the European base map which is not really very useful, a 64Mb microSD card and 'Trip and Waypoint Manager' software. I already had a copy of MapSource City Select V6 (with a spare unlock code) that came with my iQue so I didn't need to buy any additional software. Had that not been the case, then I would probably have bought the 'Topo' software. I changed the 64Mb card for 256Mb one bought off Ebay for a few quid. That's big enough to load the whole of the UK and all of Austria (in preparation for a forthcoming holiday) from City Select. Topo software will need more memory, however. I believe that a 1Gb card will hold most of the UK.

If you just want detailed maps without the 'Auto-Routing' function that the 60CSx supports then 'Roads and Recreation' or 'MetroGuide Europe' can be bought quite cheaply and don't require unlock codes (I've been told that there is a way of using auto-routing with MetroGuide but I don't know how this works)

If you want the Auto-Route function then you'll need either City Select (out of date, now), City Navigator or the Topo software. All of these will require a valid 'unlock' code. This will be supplied with genuine new software but maybe not with second hand software and certainly not with pirate copies.

It all adds up to a whole heap of cash but if you can justify it... go for it!!

Edited by Pharisee

Ok, one of my very few posts here..... :( I am considering the new 60csx buying from the UK, can anyone recommend a dealer to buy from, also the mapping software.... how does it work, does the whole lot load onto a memory card or do you only load the area you want, and what type of map is it, ie a sort of streetmap display or the OS one...

If anyone knows of any images or a good site that explains all this would be appreciated... or if you fancy taking the time to explain it would be very welcome, my little yellow etrek has died unfortunately and thought if I was going to upgrade why not go mad.... :P:P

Steve

If you just want detailed maps without the 'Auto-Routing' function that the 60CSx supports then 'Roads and Recreation' or 'MetroGuide Europe' can be bought quite cheaply and don't require unlock codes (I've been told that there is a way of using auto-routing with MetroGuide but I don't know how this works)

There is a way of autorouting with Metroguide - try googling img2gps :(

This might be slightly off topic - if so I appologise

I usually use http://www.gpsw.co.uk for GPSr's but would like to know if anyone has anyone used or got any feedback on the following supplier, allegedly based in North Leeds? http://www.gpsonlineshop.co.uk

The prices are similar if not cheaper than the above two links but it does slightly depend on which model you choose.

I bought my 60CSx from GPS shop online in Leeds - you can get a US version (they call it international) for £349.95 plus £6.95 next day postage. They provided a copy of World Map with it which as far as I can tell has the basemap for the whole world - this is is unlocked mapping software by Garmin. It takes up little room on the SD card. I had a good experience from them. Save you £30 on blokestuff if you don't mind the US version. Their UK version is slightly pricier at £394.95

I usually use http://www.gpsw.co.uk for GPSr's but would like to know if anyone has anyone used or got any feedback on the following supplier, allegedly based in North Leeds? http://www.gpsonlineshop.co.uk

The prices are similar if not cheaper than the above two links but it does slightly depend on which model you choose.

I bought my 60CSx from GPS shop online in Leeds - you can get a US version (they call it international) for £349.95 plus £6.95 next day postage. They provided a copy of World Map with it which as far as I can tell has the basemap for the whole world - this is is unlocked mapping software by Garmin. It takes up little room on the SD card. I had a good experience from them. Save you £30 on blokestuff if you don't mind the US version. Their UK version is slightly pricier at £394.95

I've said this before and I'll say it again!! :D:D:D<_<:unsure:

.........get the US version from ebay and save more than £100 on these prices........... (the £ is almost $2 at the mo). You can probably tell I resent being ripped off for being English / British / European......

Roads & Rec' Europe is also about £15 on ebay. Garmin don't make it anymore, but it's miles better than World Map which is no more than the basemap, which in turn is crap (can I say that on here?)

I've said this before and I'll say it again!! :rolleyes::laughing::ph34r::D:D

.........get the US version from ebay and save more than £100 on these prices........... (the £ is almost $2 at the mo). You can probably tell I resent being ripped off for being English / British / European......

Roads & Rec' Europe is also about £15 on ebay. Garmin don't make it anymore, but it's miles better than World Map which is no more than the basemap, which in turn is crap (can I say that on here?)

Hi Group,

Firstly I would like to say Hello as I'm new to posting here! I have been lurking for a while but still have questions...

I am considering the 60c(s)x as I just like what I see!!

1/ Can I up load OS maps? or only Garmin products?

2/ Can I autoroute and city navigate in Asia, Europe, USA and Canada?

3/ Am I asking too much from the GPS and should I have an alternative setup ie. pocket PC involved?

4/ Most People seem to have the compass switched off so would the CX model be the better option?

5/ Why are most Uk members paying way over the odds for the GPS when it can be purchased in the USA for less?

6/ Knowing very little about GPS, I was considering the 60cx with additional memories several 1gb units, perhaps one for each country...is this a sensible route to take?

7/ I live in N.Ireland and all the GPS maps I've seen of N.Ireland to date leave a lot to the imagination once you leave the main road...is this the standard of most maps? as if so I'll wait another 10 years for it to catch up lol. I don't want to spend all that money to have a toy that is just that, a TOY!

I'm sure a lot of this has been covered before...but perhaps you would clarify some of it for me...thanks in advance of favourable replys.

Best Regards,

I love my 60 csx, we used it on the motorbike last weekend and once we got the scale at the level to show the unclassified roads we found it to be really good. The screen is clear, there was no need for the backlight and with the electronic compass switched off the batteries are still showing full after 13 hours use - I am using new Hama 2600 batteries!!

I am going to put the whole of Topo GB onto a 1g sd card and change the cards as the need arises. I bought Garmin Roads and Recreation CD for when we tour Europe but I was concerned when the find address icon failed to appear, however after reloading Topo GB it reappeared.

After using a PDA with Memory Map I must say that IMNO MM is far superior software, however it cannot be loaded onto a Garmin GPS. The Garmin GPS unit is much more robust and user friendly GPS, more suited to outdoor use.

I have temporarily 'removed', the Altimeter page as at the moment I don't have a need for it.

I bought my GPS on Ebay and it has the Atlantic base map. :blink:

Hi Group,

Firstly I would like to say Hello as I'm new to posting here! I have been lurking for a while but still have questions...

3/ Am I asking too much from the GPS and should I have an alternative setup ie. pocket PC involved?

4/ Most People seem to have the compass switched off so would the CX model be the better option?

5/ Why are most Uk members paying way over the odds for the GPS when it can be purchased in the USA for less?

6/ Knowing very little about GPS, I was considering the 60cx with additional memories several 1gb units, perhaps one for each country...is this a sensible route to take?

7/ I live in N.Ireland and all the GPS maps I've seen of N.Ireland to date leave a lot to the imagination once you leave the main road...is this the standard of most maps? as if so I'll wait another 10 years for it to catch up lol. I don't want to spend all that money to have a toy that is just that, a TOY!

I'm sure a lot of this has been covered before...but perhaps you would clarify some of it for me...thanks in advance of favourable replys.

Best Regards,

In response to this question I have just checked the detail for Northern Ireland on TopoGB and it is very, VERY limited.

Pat :blink:

My newly aquired 60csx arrived today and it looks good.... first problem I had was unable to do anything with MapSource City Select V6 that I had given to me brand new, but do you think I can get it to load....!! keeps chucking up an error about "Please start this data CD install from the set-up cd." I am using disc 1 of 2

I even tried double clicking on the setup.exe file... but no luck.... same error message...

Does anyone know if road & recreation works with the 60csx as looking on the ad's on that well known auction site and garmin themselves the unit is not listed... if anyone can advise or if there is more than one version of this software that works with the 60csx

Steve

Hi Group,

Best Regards,

1/ Garmin only...for OS maps see "Memory Map"and get a decent PDA.

2/ Only if you buy even more mapping software from Garmin. :huh:

3/ Maybe.

4/ I always have my compass switched ON.. It's brilliant and saves you doing the "Geocachers Dance"! :D

5/ depends whether you are willing to chance :-

i) Paying VAT and Duty on top of the purchase price.

ii) Their returns policy.

www.gpsonline.co.uk is only in Leeds so I can easily catch up wuith them if it all goes "Pete Tong" :blink:

6/ Just buy 1 x decent sized card.

7/ You could move to the mainland, we have great maps and loads of caches. :)

Hope that helps a little bit.

Cheers

Dave

My newly aquired 60csx arrived today and it looks good.... first problem I had was unable to do anything with MapSource City Select V6 that I had given to me brand new, but do you think I can get it to load....!! keeps chucking up an error about "Please start this data CD install from the set-up cd." I am using disc 1 of 2

I even tried double clicking on the setup.exe file... but no luck.... same error message...

Does anyone know if road & recreation works with the 60csx as looking on the ad's on that well known auction site and garmin themselves the unit is not listed... if anyone can advise or if there is more than one version of this software that works with the 60csx

Steve

I have City Select V6 that was originally supplied with my iQue 3600. That can only be installed from the iQue set-up disk that installs the Palm Desktop. May be you've been given a similar version.

[Edited to add.... ] You'll also need a valid unlock code too, of course or the 60CSx won't be able to use the maps anyway.

Road and Recreation will work with the 60CSx but you'll not be able to use the address and postcode search functions or the autorouting function as R&R only has the map data and none of the POI stuff. That's why it uses relatively little memory and is much sought after by owners of the old Legend that only had 8Mb. You can load a goodly chunk of map from R&R into 8Mb!!

Edited by Pharisee

I have City Select V6 that was originally supplied with my iQue 3600. That can only be installed from the iQue set-up disk that installs the Palm Desktop. May be you've been given a similar version.

[Edited to add.... ] You'll also need a valid unlock code too, of course or the 60CSx won't be able to use the maps anyway.

Road and Recreation will work with the 60CSx but you'll not be able to use the address and postcode search functions or the autorouting function as R&R only has the map data and none of the POI stuff. That's why it uses relatively little memory and is much sought after by owners of the old Legend that only had 8Mb. You can load a goodly chunk of map from R&R into 8Mb!!

Ah ha.... that's the reason then.... so I need to grab hold of me mate and get his setup disc... he never installed the software, I have done the unlock code side but could not figure why the CD kept chucking up that message.

I might grab a copy of R&R as I only really want it to get used to how it all works as can't afford the TOPO disc yet.... I thought the maps for my TomTom go was expensive..... ;-)

Many thanks for the info

Steve

Steve

R & R does have POI........I'm looking at it now. :wub:

Garmin don't sell the disc anymore because it's been superceded by Metroguide or one of the others.

A second hand one here.... If you can get it cheap it's worth having till you can get the TOPO.

In response to this question I have just checked the detail for Northern Ireland on TopoGB and it is very, VERY limited.

Pat :wub:

Thanks patanddave,

I believe from what I'm hearing its a little to early in GPS mapping for me to spend a lot of cash on a high end GPS just yet! Something like the PDA setup sounds much supperior as regard to doing the job of finding your way around with a digital map...if you can give me a few links or advice on getting something like this set up it would be appreciated...thanks.

Best Regards,

Steve

R & R does have POI........I'm looking at it now. :laughing:

Garmin don't sell the disc anymore because it's been superceded by Metroguide or one of the others.

A second hand one here.... If you can get it cheap it's worth having till you can get the TOPO.

I notice the seller says he is selling because it is not compatable with his GpsMap 60c...Well I have MG Europe V7 installed on mine...with AUTO ROUTING and Search functions (with the help of The Free Metroguide wizzard)

Edit : Sorry I miss read the listing .. ..thought it was refering to MG not being compatable with the 60c.

Dave

Edited by oddsock