Cache owners using smilies instead of "write a note"

I know that some people don't think of geocaching as a numbers game, however, I am proud of my numbers, and feel as though I earn them.

I have been noticing some cache owners using "found it" smilies instead of the "write a note" thumbtacked paper icon. Everytime they enter a note, they get a find.....

I am sure I am being petty, but I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this as well.

I know that some people don't think of geocaching as a numbers game, however, I am proud of my numbers, and feel as though I earn them.

I have been noticing some cache owners using "found it" smilies instead of the "write a note" thumbtacked paper icon. Everytime they enter a note, they get a find.....

I am sure I am being petty, but I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this as well.

Isn't it great that it doesn't affect anyone else's numbers?

Don't worry you'll get over it once you realize that the numbers really don't matter. The Ministry of Truth has approved this message.

Don't worry you'll get over it once you realize that the numbers really don't matter.

Actually, it's more accurate for you to say that numbers don't matter to YOU. The OP's numbers DO matter to him, as he stated in his post.

Prime Suspect had it right, if someone messes up their numbers, it's great that it won't affect anyone else's.

I love MY numbers, and they matter to ME (and nobody else I'm sure).

I used to work with a guy who would play solitaire (with real cards) any time things were a bit slow. He would allow himself seven 'cheats' per game. (he didn't call them cheats, that's my word for it however)

He would boast about how many times he could get the game to come out all the way. Seemed to satisfy his needs, wouldn't have worked for me though.....

Prime Suspect had it right, if someone messes up their numbers, it's great that it won't affect anyone else's.

I guess what bothers me about the numbers issue is that I like to think people earned them, and I admire/respect someone who has done many.

Don't get me wrong, I know there will be cheaters. Prime example when people log a find of a cache that doesn't exist, that peeves me. But what peeves me more is that people think he's the best finder around; however, I know he's a blatant cheater.

I have a son who isn't too fond of the game but wants the larger number, he gets bummed out that he doesn't have as many finds as his brother and I, but he never found them, he stayed in the car instead. No effort, no point.

Don't worry you'll get over it once you realize that the numbers really don't matter.

Actually, it's more accurate for you to say that numbers don't matter to YOU. The OP's numbers DO matter to him, as he stated in his post.

I was once just like you. Then it happened. Don't worry. You'll be cured too. It is only a matter of time. Until then go "find" some more geocaches.

The reality is that unfortunately numbers DO matter; they often matter to the cacher who measures his/her performance by them, and more often, rightly or wrongly, cachers are judged by folks online who have never met them by their numbers.

It's a simple fact that someone that's been caching for years and has thousands of cache finds is often seen as a 'leader' or role model in the game, especially by newbies.

That leads folks to inflate their numbers. A while back it was suggested that numbers not be published - keep track of them in the cacher's profile, but don't put them in logs and notes unles the cacher chooses to do so.

I like that idea - a cacher with 10 finds is, to my mind, every bit as much a geocacher as one with 5000, so why let published numbers distort that view?

Anytime you have a group doing something competition will evolve. Geocaching, for most, is not a competitive sport. Take numbers out of the picture and everyone is more liable to be seen as equal, and folks may be less driven to bump them up in any way possible.

Ed

I suppose someone could log (multiple) finds on their own cache just to inflate their numbers. I suspect that nearly all people that use a 'found it' log instead of a note on their own cache are not doing it to "cheat". One of the following reasons is far more likely:

1. Selected 'found it' by mistake
  2. Doesn't realize that there is any difference between 'found it' and note because they are not into the numbers
  3. Had to look for their cache because it was moved or not replaced as hidden
  4. Did maintenance on their cache that they think deserves credit (although there is now a 'performed maintenance' log, so this may not be a very strong reason anymore)
  5. Claims a single find on each of their own caches so that the cache doesn't show up in their unfound list (may not understand how the unfound filter works) or because they want to have a count of finds + hide.

I wouldn't worry too much about someone that occasionally logs a find on their own cache.

I suppose someone could log (multiple) finds on their own cache just to inflate their numbers. I suspect that nearly all people that use a 'found it' log instead of a note on their own cache are not doing it to "cheat". One of the following reasons is far more likely:
  2. Doesn't realize that there is any difference between 'found it' and note because they are not into the numbers
  4. Did maintenance on their cache that they think deserves credit (although there is now a 'performed maintenance' log, so this may not be a very strong reason anymore)
  5. Claims a single find on each of their own caches so that the cache doesn't show up in their unfound list (may not understand how the unfound filter works) or because they want to have a count of finds + hide.

I wouldn't worry too much about someone that occasionally logs a find on their own cache.

6. Adopted cache after having found it.

6. Adopted cache after having found it.
7. Moving cache.
The reality is that unfortunately numbers DO matter; they often matter to the cacher who measures his/her performance by them, and more often, rightly or wrongly, cachers are judged by folks online who have never met them by their numbers.

It's a simple fact that someone that's been caching for years and has thousands of cache finds is often seen as a 'leader' or role model in the game, especially by newbies.

That leads folks to inflate their numbers. A while back it was suggested that numbers not be published - keep track of them in the cacher's profile, but don't put them in logs and notes unles the cacher chooses to do so.

You see "numbers don't matter" and "other people's numbers don't mean anything to me" repeated like a mantra here. Yet...

- you go to the regional forums and see numerous "Congratulations to TomCacher on his 100th find" kinds of threads.

- you look at event listings and frequently see events listed in honor of milestones like "ToddGPS's 5,000th find".

- you go to GeoWoodstock and witness attempts at setting the record for finds in a day.

- you post in the forums and get a snide comment from someone with 4,000 finds telling you that you should go geocaching more.

- you see personal geocoins with the words "2K Club" on the back.

- you see "BobHeavyHitter" show up at an event and watch as he's treated like a celebrity, with people swarming around to talk with him or get their picture taken with him.

- when Jeremy attempted to remove the find counts from the logs there was a firestorm of protest in the forums.

The fact is that numbers do matter to a LOT of people. As long as they matter the playing field should be as even as possible.

Edited by briansnat

You see "numbers don't matter" and "other people's numbers don't mean anything to me" repeated like a mantra here. Yet...

- you go to the regional forums and see numerous "Congratulations to TomCacher on his 100th find" kinds of threads.

- you look at event listings and frequently see events listed in honor of milestones like "ToddGPS's 5,000th find".

- you go to GeoWoodstock and witness attempts at setting the record for finds in a day.

- you post in the forums and get a snide comment from someone with 4,000 finds telling you that you should go geocaching more.

- you see personal geocoins with the words "2K Club" on the back.

- you see "BobHeavyHitter" show up at an event and watch as he's treated like a celebrity, with people swarming around to talk with him or get their picture taken with him.

- when Jeremy attempted to remove the find counts from the logs there was a firestorm of protest in the forums.

The fact is that numbers do matter to a LOT of people. As long as they matter the playing field should be as even as possible.

Right on, Briansnat! You da man, Briansnat!

(That is what I'm supposed to say, right?) :laughing:

To add:

- you have people saying (and I've seen it on several different forums) "you have over 100 finds and not even one hide? What's wrong with you?"

- and the converse: "You've only got 2 finds and you want to put out a cache? Better wait till you have some experience."

<_<

To be fair, there is something to be said for gaining some experience with different types of hides, and you can only get that by finding them. I placed my first hide after I had found 4 caches. Those 4 were each fairly different and pretty representative of some different kinds of hides, so I felt confident enough that mine would work. It did, and people liked it, but two years later now that I'm at the ripe old age of 115 finds (yeah, yeah, you numbers people will say I'm slow, but whatever :laughing: ) there are a number of things I would have done differently.

The first time I attended a local caching event was a pretty intimidating experience, by the way. I walked into a restaurant all by myself and into this strange crowd of people that I didn't know. People were friendly, at least, but they all smiled rather sympathetically when they asked how many I'd found and I said, "4". At least I doubled my find count that weekend <_<

Oh, and I was also quoted in the local paper, as they did an article on that caching event weekend. I was the newbie sound-bite they used to contrast the "veterans" they interviewed.