2006 Jeep Names

ar_kayaker

Here in Arkansas, the back end of the postal system, we are still waiting for the first wave of GJTB's to arrive so I thought I'd look through the list and see what has happened to the ones released so far.

As I was scrolling through the 6000 listings looking for the little patch of green that would mean an active bug I noticed something about the names....there are none with Arkansas mountain names.

I can understand why they won't let us name them ourselves, after all they don't want a TB traveling around associated with Jeep and named "Joe's Wang", but why the discrimination against some states? They were all named for mountain peaks and there are mountains here in Arkansas. Most states have at least one. (Though I think Florida is a state without any.)

They named 18 of them after Bald Mountain, CO but not one Mt. Magazine or Pinnacle Mountain, AR. (Two of our better known peaks, though there are more scenic ones.)

Have the namers never heard of the Ozarks or Ouchita Mountains? For that matter what about the Appalacians and the Great Smoky Mountain National Park? I didn't see any TN of NC and the Smokies bridge those two states....

:rolleyes::laughing::laughing::rolleyes:

Here in Arkansas, the back end of the postal system, we are still waiting for the first wave of GJTB's to arrive so I thought I'd look through the list and see what has happened to the ones released so far.

As I was scrolling through the 6000 listings looking for the little patch of green that would mean an active bug I noticed something about the names....there are none with Arkansas mountain names.

I can understand why they won't let us name them ourselves, after all they don't want a TB traveling around associated with Jeep and named "Joe's Wang", but why the discrimination against some states? They were all named for mountain peaks and there are mountains here in Arkansas. Most states have at least one. (Though I think Florida is a state without any.)

They named 18 of them after Bald Mountain, CO but not one Mt. Magazine or Pinnacle Mountain, AR. (Two of our better known peaks, though there are more scenic ones.)

Have the namers never heard of the Ozarks or Ouchita Mountains? For that matter what about the Appalacians and the Great Smoky Mountain National Park? I didn't see any TN of NC and the Smokies bridge those two states....

:rolleyes:

No offense to anyone from Arkansas, but Mt Magazine is only 2,753 feet tall. I live in the Desert of SoCal, and my elevation is only one hundred feet less than Mt Magazine.

It seem like most of the Jeeps are named for mountains with an elevation of 9000 feet or more.

Anyone who wants to see the entire list of GJTBs can click HERE.

Arkansas shouldn't feel singled out, there are no GJTBs named after any mountains in the entire NE United States either. New Hampshire has two of the most climbed mountains in the entire world and no GJTBs to represent them.

Edited by rjb43nh

So Arkansas got Jeep TBs but no Jeep TB names, and Alaska got Jeep TB names, but no Jeep TBs. Sounds like you got the better part of the deal... :(

dave

Arkansas shouldn't feel singled out, there are no GJTBs named after any mountains in the entire NE United States either. New Hampshire has two of the most climbed mountains in the entire world and no GJTBs to represent them.

Just did a 'quick' glance at the list. Are any of the Appalachian mountains listed?

Maybe the mountains they did pick have Jeep trails on them?

Does it really matter anyway? There are more mountains than there are Green Jeeps. Something had to be left out.

No it doesn't matter. I think it's just more of a curiosity thing.

Anyone that watches college football always hears about the East Coast Bias. Well Jeep seems to have a West Coast Bias. Hey, they have a plant here in Ohio. Toledo has a plant so you think they would represent their home state! :(

Edited by Eric K

Just did a 'quick' glance at the list. Are any of the Appalachian mountains listed?

If you go to the TB advanced search page you can query state abbreviations like (CA), include the ().

If you go to the TB advanced search page you can query state abbreviations like (CA), include the ().

No luck with OH, WV, TN. Maybe they are saving the Eastern portion of the US for 2007. :(

It seem like most of the Jeeps are named for mountains with an elevation of 9000 feet or more.

8500 feet was around where it stopped. We sorted by elevation and started with the highest peak first.

I'm sorry the east coasters have peak envy. Next year we'll start with the lowest elevations and go up from there :(

So Arkansas got Jeep TBs but no Jeep TB names, and Alaska got Jeep TB names, but no Jeep TBs. Sounds like you got the better part of the deal... :(

dave

Yes... it's true... *sigh* I suppose livinging vicariously through the 52 TBs named after Alaskan mountain peaks is the only way we upper noncontiguous Americans get in on the game. Here's to trusting a few of the '06 Jeeps will want to enjoy Alaska on their travels... any of you lower contiguous Americans (especially those who live in the relatively smooth lands of the East) are welcome to come visit - bring a Green Jeep with you & we'll show you some exciting times geocaching on the Last Frontier! Check out this mountain peak view from a cache in Seward Alaska... the dog's name is Geo, and the cache is the Godwin Glacier Overlook... by Ridgeseeker. With scenery like this, you can understand why the state's tourism board advertises 'Alaska - See It Before You Die' (& why we're suppliers of 52 mountain peaks to the Jeep Contest!)

a3ddf0dd-5717-4495-afbc-1dbbcd26db42.jpg

8500 feet was around where it stopped. We sorted by elevation and started with the highest peak first.

I'm sorry the east coasters have peak envy. Next year we'll start with the lowest elevations and go up from there :D

Does that mean Death Valley will get a Jeep named after it? :( If (and that's a BIG if) I remember my geography correctly, it's below sea level. :(

[edit--spelling]

Edited by Shop99er

Next year we'll start with the lowest elevations and go up from there :D

So we can expect a 2007 Jeep named after Louisiana's Driskill Mountain (elevation 535') ? :(

I'm below sea level; until I did a Google search, I didn't even realize a "mountain" existed in La.

So we can expect a 2007 Jeep named after Louisiana's Driskill Mountain (elevation 535') ? :(

I'm below sea level; until I did a Google search, I didn't even realize a "mountain" existed in La.

Ha! I grew up east of New Orleans and used to think that interstate overpasses were 'mountain-like' land formations (and in my early years I thought they were naturally formed, not manmade :( ). Our house was surveyed at 12 ft above sea level.

On topic, I was surprised to learn none of the mts in the Smokies made the name list, but now knowing that 8500 ft was the 'cutoff' I guess I can understand.

But for next year...... :D

Clingmans Dome - 6,643

Mount Guyot - 6,621

Mount Le Conte (High Top) - 6,593

Mount Buckley - 6,580

Mount Love - 6,420

Mount Chapman - 6,417

Old Black - 6,370

Luftee Knob - 6,234

Mount Kephart - 6,217

Mount Collins - 6,118

I noticed that the one I got in South Dakota was named after a mountain in Colorado. Strange, I thought.

Then when I heard they were named after peaks west of the Mississippi (someones guess) I felt slighted.

Afterall, we have a peak here. It is even more impressive than some of your bumps on the plains. Harney Peak's claim to fame is that it is the highest point on the planet BETWEEN the Alps and the Rocky Mountains.

At 7242', it doesn't quite qualify for the 8500'+ ranking. You would think that they would send me a neighboring state like Wyoming or Montana, though.

Ha! I grew up east of New Orleans and used to think that interstate overpasses were 'mountain-like' land formations (and in my early years I thought they were naturally formed, not manmade :D ). Our house was surveyed at 12 ft above sea level.

:( I'm just slightly west of New Orleans and technically my house is on "high ground" - 14' above sea level. (Tell that to the 3 floods I've had!)

I'm sorry the east coasters have peak envy. Next year we'll start with the lowest elevations and go up from there :laughing:

So there are 18 different "Bald Mountain"s in Colorado, all over 8500 feet?...must get confusing.