Walking...with A Gps

hummingbirdkiss

I have only been at this a very short time and love it!!! Found just 6 caches and managed to trip and fall about 43 times already!!!!

I get so fixated on the GPS and end up flying over a log or tripping into nettles

how on earth do I learn to walk with this and not kill myself ?

Edited by hummingbirdkiss

The first thing is to just use the GPSr as a reference for distance and direction. As you get closer to the cache start looking for likely hiding spots. That will get your eyes off of the needle and looking ahead of you where they should be. I glance at the distance and direction from time to time, more often as I get closer, but always looking at about that distance away to see where I would hide it.

Weightman thank you that makes perfect sense I will try when I get off work today

Tozainamboku ROFLMAO!!!! thanks ...Focus ...not fixate huh? ok I will focus...

I sound like such a dork I bet! but I am covered with bruises and scratches..and now I have a patch of poison oak that is driving me nuts!!! So I just thought I would ask to avoid further damage if possible

Take a few steps and then glance at GPS....Take a few steps and then glance at GPS....Take a few steps and then glance at GPS....Take a few steps and then glance at GPS....Take a few steps and then glance at GPS....Take a few steps and then glance at GPS....

Or practice walking and chewing gum before venturing into cacheland.

Dale

Take a few steps and then glance at GPS....Take a few steps and then glance at GPS....Take a few steps and then glance at GPS....Take a few steps and then glance at GPS....Take a few steps and then glance at GPS....Take a few steps and then glance at GPS....

Or practice walking and chewing gum before venturing into cacheland.

Dale

got the gum thing down pat thanks! :unsure:

I trip over air anyway ...this just adds another dimension for me

and I do appreciate any tips ..honestly

I have only been at this a very short time and love it!!! Found just 6 caches and managed to trip and fall about 43 times already!!!!

I get so fixated on the GPS and end up flying over a log or tripping into nettles

well you see, you take a nimble child, check the arrow for direction and hand it to the kid saying, go find it! then you follow the kid. :unsure: That's my preferred method.

Lacking a child, look then walk til you think you really need to look again. I often use walking poles as I do tend to stumble so can't hold that gps all the time anyway! Besides I can't tell you how many times it said 30 or 50 feet to go and there was the cache right in front of me. So you do need to get your eyes off of it!

I look down at the gps. I see that I have 300 feet in a certain direction (toward that tree over there), so I walk that way until I start getting close, then start checking the gps for a directional reference again.

My wife, on the other hand, stares at the gps the entire way, at the expense of tripping over every rock, stick and crack along the way <_<

Before caching I used to be really bad at judging distance. Since I started caching though I have found that guestimating distance along with a bearing comes in real handy. I will walk several feet to make sure the gpsr is pointing straight ahead. I then look out the approximate distance I am from the general cache location and pick out an object to walk towards. Once I get close to that object, I will take another look at the receiver to see where I am.

Once I get close to ground zero (within 50'), I finally learned to put the gpsr away and use my eyes to scope out the surroundings. That has helped more than anything.

This happened just last Friday. I went to a nearby city park that I had never been to and that had a cache. This one involved a short hike through the woods. I'm goiong along and get to where the GPS says 30 feet to go and the arrow points right to a tree stump and two fallen trees, all within 15 feet of each other. I think it's got to be in one of those. I clip the GPS to my belt and hands are free. I get close and step on a small log. It rolls. Next thing I know is I'm on my butt sliding about 4 feet down an incline. My backside has dirt all over it now. I did find the cache! Only problem was that I had to go back to work, this being my lunch break. I left and returned well within my hour lunch, but now am covered in mud.

Sometimes you don't even have to be concentrating on a GPS to mess up.

Edited by KG1960

I am so sorry you fell but this is so validating!!!! thank you all so much for your suggestions ..during my lunch today ..if I get a lunch... I am going to go and walk around the clinic and just practice not fixating! and using some ideas ...at least if I kill myself my coworkers can patch me up! ..well except the nimble child I am not sure there are any hanging around my work :rolleyes:

Edited by hummingbirdkiss

photo-169.jpg

Seriously, though. There's no need to stare at the GPSr all the time. Look at it for distance and direction, then look up and see what's in that direction about that far away. Sometimes you can even guess the location. Walk to that area, then when you get closer check the GPSr again.

What is the name of briansnat's dance when doing this again?

photo-169.jpg

Seriously, though. There's no need to stare at the GPSr all the time. Look at it for distance and direction, then look up and see what's in that direction about that far away. Sometimes you can even guess the location. Walk to that area, then when you get closer check the GPSr again.

What is the name of briansnat's dance when doing this again?

OK that woke me up!!!!

... There's no need to stare at the GPSr all the time. Look at it for distance and direction, then look up and see what's in that direction about that far away. Sometimes you can even guess the location. Walk to that area, then when you get closer check the GPSr again. ...

I just set up the FOCUS image as wallpaper. Tell me if it is copyrighted. If it is, I won't let anybody else look at it. :laughing:

Edited by Mike McLaughlin

This applies to compasses and other instruments as well.

Best advice I was given related to this: take a bearing on a point on the horizon that's in the direction you want to go. Without looking at the compass or GPS, just walk in a straight line to your point on the horizon. Glance down occasionally to see if you're still on track. ;)

Edited by af895

I find that I don't need to look at the GPS very much. Mapscource will get me fairly close to the cache on paper, and after that I just look for likly hiding places. I still use the GPS to tell if I'm close or not, but usualy the map on the computer will get me close enough that I don't need to.

It's funny that you should mention falling. I havn't fallen so far, but I was in a great place for it today. Up caching on a mountain, and the cache was, shall we say, in an unorthodox position. Had I kept my eys glued to the GPS, I probably wouldn't be in very good condition right now.

Take everyone's advice:

Edited by Mark Twain Impersonator

Yikes if that is happening while you are walking, please don't do that while you are driving!

And it helps to have a caching partner who points out the branches and spider webs. Although, I did have a pine tree stick me in the eye today. It seemed like that part in the Wizard of Oz where the trees got mad at Dorothy. I'll get you my pretty.............

My first few times, like most of the folks who play this game, were just like that. I went on caching trips with others and have no memory of the woods we were in as I spent so much time following the arrow. This led to a lot of missteps and some difficult times getting back outof the woods again.

Now I tend to use the GPSr as an occasional reference to keep me on track but I like to look around and enjoy where I'm at. Caching with a partner helps, too as it gives you another set of eyes to follow the arrow and remember the exits.