Cache From 1610 Found!

Old wells and privys are geat places for finds like this. I remember digging deep in the privy of an early 1700's farmhouse and finding little baseball sized clusters of berry seeds throughout it. At first I thought, what the heck are these berry seeds doing 10 feet underground? Then it hit me. Yuk!

We found numerous chamber pots in there. I guess the owner would accidently drop them in while dumping the contents, then say "I be darned if I'm going in after that!". :D

Left a nice cache for us though.

Edited by briansnat

Old wells and privys are geat places for finds like this. I remember digging deep in the privy of an early 1700's farmhouse and finding little baseball sized clusters of berry seeds throughout it. At first I thought, what the heck are these berry seeds doing 10 feet underground? Then it hit me. Yuk!

We found numerous chamber pots in there. I guess the owner would accidently drop them in while dumping the contents, then say "I be darned if I'm going in after that!". :D

Left a nice cache for us though.

My father had a nice coin collection. It all started when he was a kid around 1920 and was sent out to tip the privy and clean out the hole. At the bottom of the pile he discovered a bunch of old coins.. early 1800s. that was the beginning of his collection.

My father had a nice coin collection. It all started when he was a kid around 1920 and was sent out to tip the privy and clean out the hole. At the bottom of the pile he discovered a bunch of old coins.. early 1800s. that was the beginning of his collection.

So how exactly did these coins wind up in a privy? <_<

So how exactly did these coins wind up in a privy? :rolleyes:

Our guess is that someone sat down in a hurry without checking his pockets, or maybe had an accident out in the barn and took the pants to the privy to shake them out. <_<

Edited by edscott