Geocaching Accident 7-3-06

Hi to all--

finally got back on-line after 11 days--this was written 7-14-06

here's my slightly long account about my accident:

7-3-06--Monday 9AM--

Walking alone on a hill trail in a park (Black Oak East-Centerville) looking for my 3rd geocache of the morning--a little damp--not too bad(See geocaching.com--I am "brakeguy47" on the web site).

MISSTEPPED--CRACK!--right foot and leg flip out to the left--foot is 90 degrees from front of leg--

came down without any other breaks or any blood-----I knew it was a broken ankle--no pain--all okay

Had my GPS unit and a bottle of water--no cell phone (I always thought those things were for sissies--maybe we nerds need them also!)

-----------------but with a cell phone, the EMT's would have had to haul me out of the woods--I saved them some work!!

So I marked my spot--good cachers always mark their spots--just like dogs.---it just may become a new cache site someday.

Yelled for help--I wasn't in the park too far---crawled out to front /street area--in a residential area--

Only 300 feet--dragging that right floppy guy with me--being extra careful---but lower to the ground now--

Yelled for help---neighbor right by park came out--911 called-

Got to ER/surgery/cast with screw holding broken fibula (small bone) to tibia(large bone)-

and overnight in hospital--Sue was working so she got the call about me in the ER of the same hospital-

So I'm home for 6-8 weeks --no weight-bearing----have a removable cast as of 7-11-06--doing the PT with home health care and family & neighbors helping a lot----thanks to all helpers/visitors

I had fallen in a large hole while checking blue bird nest boxes in a prairie about 2 weeks prior to that--I didn't heed God's warning.

This bird-watching/geocaching/outdoor stuff is dangerous----I may take up boxing--that's an indoor sport!

Take care--hope all have a safe fun summer--especially you outdoor types----- geocaching is a good treasure hunt hobby.

As of 7-18-06, I have PRanger's Cast TB from his ankle break while geocaching--he's Texas--I'm Ohio.

Be careful out there hiking/bushwacking/climbing/ and whatever else cachers do to try to hurt themselves!

I'm "the break guy" for now! :o:laughing:

Oddly, it was a somewhat similar incident that got me (or rather, is about to get me) started in geocaching. Early this year on vacation I was hiking in Chiricahua National Monument in AZ. Some distance down a long switchback I also mis-stepped. I actually felt the bones separate at the ankle. The pain was excruciating.

Ultimately, it turned out that it was 'merely' a very bad sprain, not broken like yours. However, that didn't save me from having to walk/hobble/stumble/limp back up out of the canyon on it. Took about two hours to get back to the car. The problem I faced was that I didn't know if it would be better to go back up the way I had come, or was I nearer the end and so should I continue down.

Later, back at home and enjoying the absurdity of crutches, I got to wondering if a GPS would have helped with that decision. I guess it probably wouldn't have - I wasn't exactly thinking clearly, after all, and kept coming near to blacking out. However, that got me looking into GPS receivers (I love gadgets with a passion), and from there I discovered the sport of geocaching.

So, yesterday my shiny new Garmin 60CSx arrived. Today I'm making my first post in these forums <g>, and within the next day or two, weather permitting, I'm going to go hunt.

This will likely be my first target, as I pass within about 20 feet of it on my way to/from work...

TINAZ3

arpegio: I guess this is another vote for wearing high-top hiking shoes? Or were you? Or would it have mattered?

No, I was wearing those good old standard tennis shoes--no extra support at all. High-tops would have probably helped me--especially since this was a trail cutting across a hill--I learned my lesson--I'll be wearing my hiking boots or newer hi-tops when i get back out there. Thanks for all your replies. :laughing:

Edited by brakeguy47

When I first started geocaching a good friend of mine gave me a whistle on a rope with a little charm on it. I haven't been as good about wearing it as I should be but it is was a good gift. She said that if anything happened, like cachers got seperated, you came across some danger, or fell and hurt yourself, to start blowing on the whistle to get someone's attention. Luckily I haven't had to use it yet, but it's just a suggestion to cachers out there. And yes, I do realize a cell phone is your best bet, but that's just my low tech 2 cents worth. :laughing:

Edited by leaf_geek

I hear you loud and clear! May 1 I did the same thing on rough ground up in a cemetery on a hill, but it was 'only' a bad sprain. I was on crutches for 4 weeks - the best caching month gone. Took me 6 weeks to get back into almost full swing again just in time for the heat, bugs and poison ivy season! Now I wear high top hiking shoes when going on rough terrain.