Powered Pda Car Mount

I've now had three (all the same) powered car mounts for my Ipaq 5550, with auxilary 12v output for GPSr power (therefore only requiring one 12v cig lighter supply for two devices).

Two from the same supplier and another, from a different supplier.

All of them have packed in after only a few weeks use.

Each time they pack in, I get a replacement under warranty, which is fine, but I need reliability.

Where do you get your powered mounts from - I'd like to try a different one if I can.

I've got a Arkom powered mount - it stopped 'gripping' the PDA within weeks.

Anyway, now I am told that GPS are the No 1 target for car theives too and they look out for the mounts so I have stopped leaving it stuck in my car, the net result being I've not used it for months and plan my journey's with multi map.

Maybe an ebay moment coming up...

I bought a "TomTom" branded car mount from Dixons. It is specifically designed for the HP iPaq 2210 which slides vertically into the mount rather than being squeezed between foam pads. It was a bit pricey at £35 but it has been very reliable (famous last words).

A quick Google found this one at Handnav.co.uk. Unfortunately it's out of stock there but it might be worth looking into :rolleyes:

213.jpg

I use a Seidio G2500 mount made for my Ipaq 5550. This works just fine. It has the power connection outlet for the BT reciever and also has a speaker built in so you can clearly hear the instructions from Tom Tom. You can also connect a wired GPS reciever to the mount as well.

There is a review at

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/seidio-g2500-6315.php and also at

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/seidio-g2500-pda-holder.php

I have the long suction mount but other mounts are available.

Had it for about 2 years with no problems. sucker has come off twice in hot weather with out damaging the mount.

A quick Google found this one at Handnav.co.uk. Unfortunately it's out of stock there but it might be worth looking into :anicute:

213.jpg

I have that very mount and it is excellent and well worth the money but I got mine from pdamods.com.....oh and I have had it nearly 12 months :grin:

Edited by Matrix

What brand ones did you have that failed? I've had one for a couple of weeks but I am concerned it won't last too long as it runs very hot. It was from pdamods and called their 'TomTom' bracket for the IPAQ 5450.

Cheers

Jon

Two of the failed ones were from GPS for less, and another from PDAmods, they seem to be widely available. Exactly as the one in the picture here. They all have a sticker on them "FOR 38/39XX"

To be fair to GPS for less, when I emailed them after the first one failed, they just sent me out a replacement without any quible.

I noticed it running quite hot, but put it down to the spare battery I sometimes use, which isn't genuine HP. But even with the proper battery in, it seems to run a bit hot.

Tried it again today and this time the red light came on, so power is getting to it, but neither the PDA or the GPSr would power up from it.

I'm now back to using the Arkon which has always been faultless, it's just that I prefer the cradle type that the PDA just drops into - saves messing with the arms and the plug in lead.

Think I might try the Seidio or Brodit one now.

Edited by CrazyL200

What brand ones did you have that failed? I've had one for a couple of weeks but I am concerned it won't last too long as it runs very hot. It was from pdamods and called their 'TomTom' bracket for the IPAQ 5450.

Cheers

Jon

Two of the failed ones were from GPS for less, and another from PDAmods, they seem to be widely available. Exactly as the one in the picture here. They all have a sticker on them "FOR 38/39XX"

To be fair to GPS for less, when I emailed them after the first one failed, they just sent me out a replacement without any quible.

I noticed it running quite hot, but put it down to the spare battery I sometimes use, which isn't genuine HP. But even with the proper battery in, it seems to run a bit hot.

Tried it again today and this time the red light came on, so power is getting to it, but neither the PDA or the GPSr would power up from it.

I'm now back to using the Arkon which has always been faultless, it's just that I prefer the cradle type that the PDA just drops into - saves messing with the arms and the plug in lead.

GPS for Less have just emailed me saying they are sending another (the third one now) out to me. :grin:

Edited by CrazyL200

I have a Seidio one which has been fine over the last few months: the Arkon one I had before still works but you have to wedge a piece of card behind the PDA to keep the connection in place as it wore loose very quickly.

These things are terribly overpriced as they are obviously very cheap to make, but what else can you do?

Mine runs very hot all the time: I guess it's just how they're designed.

HH

Cheers

Jon

GPS for Less have just emailed me saying they are sending another (the third one now) out to me. <_<

That's packed in now and they want it returned for a refund - no hint of trying to find out why they keep packing in.

Same symptoms as before? LED on but no charge to PDA? How much use did you get out of it before it failed this last time? I ask because mine is still working (famous last words eh?) but I don't use it for every journey so may have had less use than yours.

Looking at these units, the weakest link looks to be the connectors that go into the bottom of the PDA as it's slotted in, is there any sign of physical damage to them that could be preventing them from making contact?

Stay cool

J

Same symptoms as before? LED on but no charge to PDA? How much use did you get out of it before it failed this last time? I ask because mine is still working (famous last words eh?) but I don't use it for every journey so may have had less use than yours.

Looking at these units, the weakest link looks to be the connectors that go into the bottom of the PDA as it's slotted in, is there any sign of physical damage to them that could be preventing them from making contact?

Stay cool

J

Yes, same as before, LED on, but no power to the PDA or to the 5v auxilary output. So the failure is internal, I'd suspect, due to the raised temperature it runs at, that the transformer or a diode has melted. When I get chance I'll take one of the others apart and do some tests. This one only lasted 10 days of use.

I use mine virtually every day and for quite long periods of time. I also end up with it switching on and off quite frequently via an ignition fed cigarette lighter socket, so it's possible a current surge could happen during starting the engine, but I wouldn't expect it to be enough to do any damage to anything plugged in.

The contacts do look a bit flimsy, but they also look fine, no marks / damage etc... so I'm fairly certain it's the result of extended use and temperature.

Off to spalsh out on a brodit set up for the PDA and Vista C.

Edited by CrazyL200

Have now got 2 Brodit mounts on the dash, one for the PDA and one for the 'phone cradle. Just need one now for the Vista C.

Must say the Brodits are good. Easy to fit, solid (absolutely no vibration with the weight of the PDA on it) and well made. Let's hope they're more reliable than the cheaper things I was using before. Hopefully it's a case of "You pay your money .... etc... "

Edited by CrazyL200