Help! Loading V8 On 60csx

I'm trying to load maps to my 60csx. I only have the shipped 64mb card. I'm only trying to put 35.8mb on the card and I continually get and error.

There was an error communicating with your device.

Please make sure your device is plugged in and turned on.

If errors coninue to occur, you may need to restart your device.

I've done all of the above. Now what?

My only other guess would be to check that you have the latest Garmin USB drivers installed.

That's a farily common issue - folks don't realize that you MUST install the Garmin USB drivers - the regular Windows USB drivers don't work with the GPSr.

Okay, I've updated the usb driver to Garmin. I've changed ports. I've done everything I can think of and still get the same error as above.

It sees the GPSr it starts to copy. Runs the index files but it gets part way through the maps and WHAMO! error.

Don't tell me I just paid all this money for a GPSr and software that I can't return and it's not going to work. I'm frustrated as can be right now. I'm leaving for a trip tomorrow and would have liked to use this but it's not looking good

Which maps are you trying to load?

Can you communicate to the GPSr through a different program . . . like downloading waypoints from GSAK or EasyGPS?

I was getting similar errors and found it was a simple solution: I needed to push the usb into the GCSx till it snapped. It worked after that and I also use the front port on a Dell without any trouble.

Hope your answer is this simple,

Ken

Okay, I got one small map area to load. A 10 mb piece. How much room does the base maps use?

I tried to load a different map area and now it asks if I want to delete the base maps loaded by garmin. I don't want to do that. I want to remove what I loaded and load something different.

I guess I'm a real noob but this shouldn't be that difficult

To load new maps, the previous mapset is deleted. That's just fine.

Go ahead and grab all the maps and load them all at once.

I load both Topo and City Select into my Vista C by viewing one type of map on the computer, picking the maps, then viewing the other maps and picking the sections from that map and then sending all of them. <_<

I was getting similar errors and found it was a simple solution: I needed to push the usb into the GCSx till it snapped. It worked after that and I also use the front port on a Dell without any trouble.

Hope your answer is this simple,

Ken

Just a note to emphasise the subtlety of this - I had the usb connector plugged in to the front of the Dell like I had many times before. I could tell (I thought) that the connection was solid since the GPSr was getting it's power from the USB. I couldn't get MapSource to recognize the unit. I tried the usual things until I reached down and was able to nudge the connector on the PC in a little further. The unit got recognized, and I am in the process of downloading 3/4 of the U.S. maps to the 1GB storage card I just recieved <_<

Okay I got a couple of maps loaded. The only way I was able to do it was to use the mass storage option off the GPSr. Then my PC recognized it as a drive and I copied it that way.

From the Garmin troubleshooting instructions:

http://www.garmin.com/support/faqs/faq.jsp...in%20web%20page

6. To save maps directly to your GPS, select "Send To Device" from the Transfer menu. Select from the drop-down list the device to which you will be saving the data. Be sure the box next to "Maps" is selected, and click the Save button. If you do not have the option of selecting USB GPS, USB Data Card Programmer, or USB Storage Card Reader, most likely the drivers for the device have not been installed onto your PC. MapSource displays a progress indicator during download, and a message appears when the transfer is complete.

I didn't have these options. Where do I get the drivers?

When I connect my 76csx to my Dell laptop, I have to boot the computer and install the cable after the computer is good to go. If I connect before I start the computer, it does not boot up and freezes up.

Following that procedure and using a 1 g card, no problems with TOPO or CS7.

Up or down loads all OK.

Love the unit!

actually it is super easy to load your card with no glitches if you use a card reader/writer-i use sandisk brand with usb 2.0. most of the time is spent with file indexing but the load is quick. of course you still have the deal that you have to load all your maps at one time because with mapsource the previous file is deleted. the card readers cost around 20 bucks and are worth it especiallly if your camera uses a card also

Edited by djpatrol